Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stardancer

Thermal straightening/damaged hair help

Had my hair thermally straightened in February by a pro who has been doing it for years. I have seen others she has worked on and thought I would try it too. Couldn't pass up the temptation of only having to dry my hair 5 minutes! BUT....that never happened. It certainly did take some of the wave I had in my hair, still took as long to dry. I was not that unhappy with it until last week. All the sudden my hair is really limp, one side will curl under nicely with a brush, the other falls within minutes. I am also getting frizzy 10 minutes after my hair is done. Is it possible that it could have taken this long to see the damage? And other than a trim (CANNOT possibly think of cutting my hair off) how in the world do I get my hair to at least manageable (have been sleeping in olive oil some nights, doesn't seem to be helping). I'm open to any suggestions!

Sorry, I have naturally straight hair, so I don't have much info to offer. However, I do blow out my hair everyday and even my little skimpy straight medium length hair takes a good ten minutes to get blown straight. The process you had sounds almost too good to be true. What kind of texture does your hair have? How about the cut/style? Also, how often do yu have to have to process done to maintain it? Like with my color, I have to have the base touched up every four weeks or so and the overall color needs done very eight weeks. When I had perms, I had to have them done very 6-8 weeks. Maybe you need to have to process done again, or at least a touch-up? IDK

Did you follow the after-care instructions properly? Don't wash your hair for 3 days, don't tie your hair for a week and avoid swimming pools? Because that was what got me into trouble when I first straightened my hair 7 years ago, I ended up with half-half straight and wavy that same week after treatment! :ninja:

Thermally straightened hair only tends to look at its best in the first few months and results vary according to how well you manage your hair. Mine usually lasts for half a year despite all the talk about it being 'permanent' or whatsoever. Trimming also seems to take a bit of the straightness off based on my experience. I still ocassionally use hair straighteners whenever I need to and to get rid of the frizziness, I use 2-3 drops of jojoba oil, rub on my hands and run it through my hair or pat over the frizziness before I go out. The jojoba oil also works well as a hair conditioner so that's a bonus. :surprised:

My natural hair is wavy+frizzy but I've been going for the thermal straightening treatments (mine is the Japanese straightening system) for the past 5 years since I look better with straight hair. :rolleyes: I still have to do them on a yearly basis despite being told that I should have super straight hair for 2-3 years.

Had my hair thermally straightened in February by a pro who has been doing it for years. I have seen others she has worked on and thought I would try it too. Couldn't pass up the temptation of only having to dry my hair 5 minutes! BUT....that never happened. It certainly did take some of the wave I had in my hair, still took as long to dry. I was not that unhappy with it until last week. All the sudden my hair is really limp, one side will curl under nicely with a brush, the other falls within minutes. I am also getting frizzy 10 minutes after my hair is done. Is it possible that it could have taken this long to see the damage? And other than a trim (CANNOT possibly think of cutting my hair off) how in the world do I get my hair to at least manageable (have been sleeping in olive oil some nights, doesn't seem to be helping). I'm open to any suggestions!

By thermally straightened i assume you mean Chemically Straightened? If so, i offer this service in the salon i work in. I only really offer it to people with very curly hair though and especially not to anyone with fine hair! Although chemical straightening really does hammer your hair i really don't understand why your hair should be going frizzy ten minutes after you do it. That's nuts. That together with the fact that one side of your hair behaves differently makes me think the treatment has been applied incorrectly or not allowed to process properly.

I would recommend you have a trim as that'll help the hair ends and restore some body and condition to the hair. Also, see if you can track down a decent Protein or Anti-Oxy Condioner... Generally a conditioner for chemically treated hair. Aveda do some nice condioners. Maybe try a leave in over night one.

I would recommend a trim and also some conditioning products. Try John Frieda Frizz-Ease Rehydrate Intensive Deep Conditioner. Also try John Frieda Secret Weapon Flawless Finishing Cream as a styling product.

Thanks for the advice guys. Thermally straightened is differently than just chemically, it takes forever and there is a straightening iron involved. I think maybe the problem was that my hair was to dry for the process to begin with. For the time being, I am going to go with a deep conditioning treatment at a salon and a trim. Don't think I will do thermal reconditioning again. I did follow all the aftercare instructions to a tee, but from what I've found on the net if your hair isn't virtually in perfect shape, you will be in trouble. Perhaps the stylist who did it overlooked the shape my hair was really in, IDK.

By thermally straightened i assume you mean Chemically Straightened? If so, i offer this service in the salon i work in. I only really offer it to people with very curly hair though and especially not to anyone with fine hair! Although chemical straightening really does hammer your hair i really don't understand why your hair should be going frizzy ten minutes after you do it. That's nuts. That together with the fact that one side of your hair behaves differently makes me think the treatment has been applied incorrectly or not allowed to process properly.

I would recommend you have a trim as that'll help the hair ends and restore some body and condition to the hair. Also, see if you can track down a decent Protein or Anti-Oxy Condioner... Generally a conditioner for chemically treated hair. Aveda do some nice condioners. Maybe try a leave in over night one.

He's a popular, professional hairstylist so listen to this advice!

He's a popular, professional hairstylist so listen to this advice!

:redface::cool:

Thanks for the advice guys. Thermally straightened is differently than just chemically, it takes forever and there is a straightening iron involved. I think maybe the problem was that my hair was to dry for the process to begin with. For the time being, I am going to go with a deep conditioning treatment at a salon and a trim. Don't think I will do thermal reconditioning again. I did follow all the aftercare instructions to a tee, but from what I've found on the net if your hair isn't virtually in perfect shape, you will be in trouble. Perhaps the stylist who did it overlooked the shape my hair was really in, IDK.

Conditioning treatment is a good move. That always helps with dry frizziness... obviously depends on the hair type though. Some hair types get very weighed down by a conditioning treatment and take a year to blow-dry and style afterwards. Others really benefit from it and sustain a healthy glow. I'd say as long as you trust your stylist you should be happy. As long as you don't have fine or afro hair then a conditioning treatment is a good move.

Conditioning treatment is a good move. That always helps with dry frizziness... obviously depends on the hair type though. Some hair types get very weighed down by a conditioning treatment and take a year to blow-dry and style afterwards. Others really benefit from it and sustain a healthy glow. I'd say as long as you trust your stylist you should be happy. As long as you don't have fine or afro hair then a conditioning treatment is a good move.

My hair isn't fine and not afro - unless by afro you just mean dry and frizzy. Am also going to look for the conditioner you recommended. Thanks.