Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey,

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my GP, and I'm going to ask him for Accutane.

My skin is moderate and I've been on several topical treatments, including Retin-A and none of them worked and in-fact made my skin worse.

Seeing various stories though, I'm really worried that he is going to refuse and make me go on things like Minocycline or Tetracycline, which I understand work for some but due to my skins reaction to Retin-A (which didn't work for me) and the fact that if I've reached the point of going on oral anti-biotics, I feel that I need to go on Accutane now.

Do you have any tips to persuade doctors to put your on Accutane? What sort of things did you say?

Just telling them that you want it can sometimes be enough, since a lot of people don't even know about Accutane. My derm was amazed that I had known about it.

You can lie and tell your doctor that you've tried antibiotics already too. Just make sure you tell them you've been on them for over 3 months.

Tell him you get painful cysts sometimes that take weeks to go away. But as long as you've got moderate amounts of active acne you should be approved.

It depends where you live! In the UK only derms can. In the USA, I think GPs can only if they are registered with iPledge...

Saw my doctor, and he refused to put me on it! Apparently, the level my acne is now isn't 'severe' enough to warrant using Accutane!

I'm extremely disappointed as I really hoped to be put on Accutane, instead he prescribed me Tetracycline. I'll see how it goes, but I know that I'll probably end up at the end of 3 months asking him for Accutane again.

So unfair! I told him I was prepared to deal with the side effects and was willing to take that risk.

Saw my doctor, and he refused to put me on it! Apparently, the level my acne is now isn't 'severe' enough to warrant using Accutane!

I'm extremely disappointed as I really hoped to be put on Accutane, instead he prescribed me Tetracycline. I'll see how it goes, but I know that I'll probably end up at the end of 3 months asking him for Accutane again.

So unfair! I told him I was prepared to deal with the side effects and was willing to take that risk.

Lol, tetracycline sucks. He is just trying to get as much $$ as he can from you because he know that shit isnt gonna work and you will be back.

Also, antibiotics can be pretty rough on your health if taken for a long period of time. Maybe you should try another derm.