Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, in keeping with some of my more recent 'hippie' leanings, I discovered Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Oil liquid soap. It's a pure vegetable oil soap that goes on and rinses off easily. Leaves skin feeling clean and refreshed - a beautiful product, in my opinion. I chose the Tea Tree Oil soap because of a recent discovery that a solution of 5% tea tree oil as compared to a solution of 5% benzoyl peroxide, had the _same results_ on acne - but tea tree oil had fewer of the harmful side effects like skin tightness and over-drying the skin. So it's sort of a like a mild cleanser and a mild treatment at once, and it simply rinses off.

The second product I've found is completely pure cocoa butter. Cocoa butter is a solid oil which melts at pretty much exactly human skin temperature. It needs a tiny bit more rubbing in than a standard moisturizer, but once it's been absorbed, skin is soft, supple, and feels very clean.*

The third product is pure rose hip oil applied directly to the skin once or twice a week - long renown for its healing properties on things like stretch marks and acne scars, it also helps soothe active acne to allow it to heal - I haven't suffered the itching face and zit-picking that used to so hinder my progress. It has a slight odor, but unlike a chemical moisturizing product, the odor is not pungent, nor harmful.

After two weeks using these products, my (mild) acne has almost entirely cleared up. I wanted to share this with everyone because I am a staunch proponent of the idea that the fewer ingredients a product has - the better it is likely to work!*

Signing off,

- L

* It should be noted that these _may not work_ on many skin types. I believe most of my acne was coming from overly dry, irritated skin - and that slightly comedogenic products don't do me much or any harm. As always, take with a grain of salt.

I got some of that Dr. Bronners stuff, he really is/was a hippie. Have you seen the web site, groovy.

Anyway, I've been using it off and on but it is really too strong for me straight. I put some very warm water in sink then add about 15 drops of soap and wash with it using a wash cloth and kind soak my face. The small sample bottle I got was the peppermint (Target in my area carries this stuff now)...really refreshing, kinda like this stuff and have had no ill effects.

I found cocoa butter broke me out? are you using 100% pure cocoa because the one i was using had 2358023million other indgridients with it :lol:

I used some 100% coco butter once, Still do at times. The stuff I have comes in a solid form in a tube/stick. I thought it was nice, didn't have any reactions to it. Some peopple have to reactions to this stuff though.