Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How can you tell whether you have depression or just regular mood swings? I'm a 16 year old girl so reckon most people would be sceptical and assume it's just hormones etc. but I feel really really low. I'm tired most of the time, I'm meant to be revising for GCSEs but don't feel up to it and can't concentrate, I cry a lot and sometimes have difficulty getting to sleep at night.

I don't really know what I'm crying about most of the time I guess it's partly to do with how I look, I have bad body acne and mild face acne as well as other things which I wont go into detail, which makes me feel so uncomfortable in my own body . I'm also dealing with the fact that 4 of my best friends are moving schools next year and I feel like I won't have any friends, as no one really knows who I am at school. I think my friends and family assume I'm happy because I don't let how I'm feeling show and act positive around people.

Is this normal, and what can I do to feel better and gain confidence? I'm sorry about the long post but I needed to get a lot of my chest

xxx

I guess no-one's gonna reply, feel a bit pathetic now...

I should probably get off the internet it's not helping

hey , I have depression and thats sounds like i how have felt for years, i suggest going to ur doctor or at least a councillor in ur school or area or something, try try try and focus on exams, i know its hard but im doing mine at the moment and i think im doing really bad cos i feel so low and let it get the best of me..

if u want to talk PM me :)

thanks I'm glad you understand, I'm not sure how to go about talking to a doctor though...I hate doctors (not as in hate them as people...but feel really uncomfortable talking to them) and find it so hard to talk about how I'm feeling, can't even talk to my mum about it.

For some reason it's so much easier to talk to people I don't know, like on here

I know but its not hard to talk to a doctor i promise, i only went a few weeks ago about anxiety and i never wanted to go and was so nervous but its ok really!

i cant talk to my parents about it and the doctor really helped offering different suggestions like anti depressants, councilling etc..

Seriously give it a try , its worth it..

Look up a checklist for depression. If you qualify you can hit up a psychiatrist and maybe get some drugs or other therapy. But definitely the drugs, that's what psych is all about.

that sounds like depression to me. i think you should consider telling your parents or someone you really trust how you feel. you should also think about speaking with a counselor at your school.

i know how you feel though! i really hope things improve for you... :)

I know how ya feel. I get like that sometimes but usually only because I'm bored; and today is one of those days cause I'm not working and the weekend seems so far away so no fun for awhile.

Just find something to occupy yourself, works for me anyway..

It sounds like either a temporary, or more likely, mild case. Not to say that it's not something you can just try and power through; it'd be a good idea to get a doctor's/councilor's opinion and maybe get a referral to a therapist. It may just be a rough patch, but your livelihood and happiness aren't things to put on the back-burner.

Or, actually, tell your family and talk to them about what you're feeling. I tried to keep everything to myself, and thought my depression was a weak part of my personality; one that nearly killed me. Not coming to my family in the early stages has made communicating so much more difficult, nearly impossible..so, y'know, don't do that.

But if you can deal with this at the first signs of possible trouble, it'll be a much healthier way, and you can return to being happy and hopefully motivated :)

Like others have said, go see a counselor. Get it nipped it handled before it starts affecting other areas of your life (my friend told me it was like "sad cancer"). Also, don't underestimate mild depression. There's a form of mild depression, called dysthymia, which can occur for years and can put you at risk of committing suicide.