Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've recently stopped using BP for the last week or so, because I found it to be too drying/irritating for my skin and didn't get any satisfactory results (even after long periods of constant use). I've started using a 10% tea tree oil solution as a toner for my topical disinfectant, but am not confident that it will keep my clear either (hasn't particularly sped up healing time for large pimples, even using 100% TTO for spot treatment). After reading all of the positive reviews for Alpha Hydrox products, I decided to place an order for a couple of tubes of the Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free Formula lotion, which will probably arrive in a couple of weeks.

My question is, can I use the Alpha Hydrox lotion as my sole topical acne medication? Should I continue to use the TTO as well, or should I just apply the AHA after washing my face and leave it at that? Will I need to use a moisturizer with this regimen or will the AHA lotion serve as an effective moisturizer? For those who are interested, I'm using Spectro Jel as my facial cleanser; I may switch over to the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Facial Cleanser if I like the AHA lotion.

I've also read about an initial purging period when starting an AHA regimen. Should I be using something like BP or TTO to treat the initial pimples that may pop up when starting the regimen, or just bite the bullet and only use the AHA?

TTO or anything barring antibiotics (and mostly not then) doesn't speed up spot healing very significantly.

TTO/BP/antibiotics primarily *prevents* spots.

Using them as spot treatment might stop it getting worse, but really, once a spot forms, you are closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. By that point, you have a skin infection, and pretty much, your body has to deal with it before it goes away. Some of the bacteria in typical spots have no known treatment at all, except your immune system.

Using normal treatments like TTO/BP/antibiotics/whatever very typically mean you end up getting say, 80-90% less spots after 3 months of continuous use.

TTO should work about the same as BP, but without any irritation (unless you're unlucky enough to be allergic to it).

Thanks for the link and the advice, but I'm really more interested in finding the answer for the first part of my question; that is, will I need to continue using any sort of topical antibiotic if I start using AHA? Some reports I read state that they only use an AHA regimen to control to acne, where others list AHA as only one step in their regimen. I'm trying to keep my regimen as simple as possible, and if I can keep my acne under control using only a gentle facial cleanser and an AHA lotion, I'd be very happy. If anybody has any information regarding this or any links to AHA regimen logs or AHA-acne treatment information, I'd love to see them (I've tried using the search engine for the forum, but it really doesn't work very well :confused: ). Thanks.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2287238

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but here is a regimen from someone who went total aha and got clear. Later he wanted to add bp, though the didn't have anything going on which puzzled me, but that is fine. I would say this, I use aha in the am, if I have spots, I treat it with bp - 2.5%. The aha makes my skin tingle and burn, more than the bp, but that is me. I haven't had to use bp in a few weeks, but that is what I do. If it comes to a head or I pop it and it is healing, I use neosporin, small dab, short time only. That is great because it has an antibiotic in it, and the consistency helps with dryness. TTO is great for spot treat too, sometimes I layer stuff if it is a bad one, waiting in between.

For cleanser, I have never used either you mentioned, but keep it gentle. For moisturizer, some don't need to use one as the aha lotion is enough. If you get too dry, then you can use a moisturizer. Some days I use one, some I don't.

It is best to experiment, and see what works. Regardless, aha is a great addition to any regimen.

Thanks for the info. I actually have checked out that regimen log, and it is interesting and gives me a pretty good idea about what to expect. However, that particular person had already acheived clear skin from BP and Dan's Regimen. BP kept my acne somewhat under control, but never kept me clear and never gave me satisfactory results (and of course very irritating for my skin).

I may be willing to apply some BP at night only, if it means the BP and AHA will effectively work together and not be too irritating, but I guess I won't know until I try. I was also thinking about using a salicylic acid product in the morning and the AHA at night (or the other way around, if I plan on using the AHA as my daytime moisturizer as well). Salicylic acid never really irritated my skin, and worked at least as well as BP ever did. I'm just trying to get a feel for what has worked for other people so I can come up with some ideas about how to form my own regimen.

I have been through that. BP helped but was never able to finish the job. Due to bleaching I had to stop use.

From my experience: bp is no longer needed except as a spot treatment. If anything gets very bad, I switch to neosporin over it until it subsides and don't pop it. Also, the AHA will not work alone. I back it up with H&S and SA. I suppose you could back it up with bp or whatever else you have had work best. It is my beleif that one treatment will not work anyway, the acne will adjust and recur: hit it from as many angles as work for you and you can stand.

I was thinking about maybe switching to a straight hydroxy acid regimen. Would using Salicylic Acid with AHA provide me with all the steps I needed to combat acne? I'd really like to avoid having to use BP or TTO, and SA never gave me any problems in terms of irritating my skin. I'm not completely sure how SA works, but I know that it exfoliates the skin. Aside from that, I assume that it also works to kill acne bacteria, seeing as it is the active ingredient in so many acne treatments and spot treatments.

How would a regimen like this sound:

Morning

- Wash face with a gentle cleanser

- Apply some sort of Salicylic Acid lotion to entire face

- Moisturize dry areas with light moisturizer, possibly with SPF

Evening

- Wash face with a gentle cleanser

- Apply Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free AHA lotion

Would this be an effective topical regimen for tackling my mild-moderate acne?

It could be, something similiar works for me. consider 2% of SA whatever you use.

How are those Paula's Choice products? I'm interested in buying one of their 2% BHA products, maybe the gel or the liquid one. The Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion looks really good too, and it has SPF 15. They look kind of expensive, but then I'm not sure how long the bottle sizes will last me. If I were to buy them, I think my regimen would look something like this:

Morning

- Wash with gentle cleanser (Spectro or something)

- Apply Paula's Choice 2% BHA product.

- Apply Paula's Choice SPF Mattifying Lotion

Evening

- Wash with gentle cleanser

- Apply Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free AHA lotion

I think I would be pretty happy with a topical regimen like that. I just have to get around to actually ordering the products, which may have to wait a while seeing as I'm in the process of moving. I hate ordering products off the net, why can't all the good products just be sold at the drug store :confused: .