Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EnlightenMe

Dairy, acne, and calcium

Does anyone know that milk has approximately a 1 to 1 ratio of phosphoric acid to calcium which makes the calcium in milk useless because it won't apsorb? I have been on accutane 4 times and it has cleared up everything but the cysts. I recently quit dairy and have been showing steady improvement since. I know this topic has thoroughly been explored. Just wanted to add that if anyone is worried about giving up dairy because of the calcium, now you know that calcium from milk is a crock.

Calcium absorption from milk is just as good as any other food (and quite a bit better than spinach).

Your body only absorbs 1/3rd of the calcium you put into it anyway.

HOWEVER: the best source of calcium, by far, is NOT dairy. Leafy green vegetables have more calcium ounce by ounce. A single egg shell has 2 grams of calcium.

So if you're off dairy, there's no need to worry about calcium as long as you're making up for it somewhere else.

Calcium absorption from milk is just as good as any other food (and quite a bit better than spinach).

Your body only absorbs 1/3rd of the calcium you put into it anyway.

HOWEVER: the best source of calcium, by far, is NOT dairy. Leafy green vegetables have more calcium ounce by ounce. A single egg shell has 2 grams of calcium.

So if you're off dairy, there's no need to worry about calcium as long as you're making up for it somewhere else.

Your body uses calcium to neutralize that phosphoric acid in milk limiting the absorption of that calcium. The dairy industry and big businesses wrapped around it's finger will do what it can to make that information unavailable to the public. What makes you so sure calcium absorption from milk is so good? Got any studies to back it up?

What makes you so sure calcium absorption from milk is so good? Got any studies to back it up?

http://www.stonyfield.com/Wellness/Mooslet....cfm?moos_id=54

But trust me, I know of the dangers of calcium in dairy. Calcium in milk will most certainly not protect against osteoperosis, and no, dairy is not an ideal source of minerals, since it contains a lot of calcium, but not much of anything else (except phosphorus, of course).

What makes you so sure calcium absorption from milk is so good? Got any studies to back it up?

http://www.stonyfield.com/Wellness/Mooslet....cfm?moos_id=54

But trust me, I know of the dangers of calcium in dairy. Calcium in milk will most certainly not protect against osteoperosis, and no, dairy is not an ideal source of minerals, since it contains a lot of calcium, but not much of anything else (except phosphorus, of course).

This study doesn't address the counter-effect of the phosphoric acid. I guess I didn't mean to say that it affects the absorption, but rather that the calcium is depleted after the fact due to the phosphate.