Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For those of you on the DKR (aka acne.org regimen): what kind of foundation/concealer/make-up do you use?

I was using Prescriptives Virtually Fresh Skin Refining Makeup SPF 15, which I loved until I started the regimen. Then I found it to look cakey and it really brought out the flakes on my skin. While I was at the store on Thursday, I ended up at the Bare Minerals counter and ended up buying their starter kit. I hated the one color I tried Friday, but the other one I did yesterday looked great. My only worry is that I might break out from it, and I still have some flaking, especially after I apply the stuff with the buki brush. Right now, I will not use the Rev Up primer I got with the starter kit yet because I've only been on the regimen for 3 or 4 weeks, and don't want to add anything else in right now. After reading the EDM thread on here, I also went ahead and ordered a free sample kit from EDM for the heck of it. Lastly, I bought some jojoba oil the other day to help with the flaking. Hopefully all this change isn't going to make me break out. I ended up using my Prescriptives foundation today since I added in the jojoba oil and wanted to see how my skin would handle it. I may do that for a week or so (as long as I have the Prescriptive foundation left) to be sure that my skin tolerates the jojoba oil. Once I feel that is ok, then I'll use my BM make-up. I kind of wish I waited to open the BM kit and tried the jojoba oil with my old foundation first, but such is life. Any suggestions or comments on my plan are appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. When on the DKR, what do you do when you have to re-do your make-up for something in the evening? Before being the DKR, I would just cleanse and moisturize my face and put on my make-up. I'm not sure if I should re-apply the BP while on DKR, since that would make it three times in a day versus the recommended twice a day. Any insight or suggestions on this?

The first few weeks on the regimen are rough for makeup users. Virtually nothing looks very good while adjusting. I managed to use mineral makeup, but my skin adjusted fast to BP as far as dryness goes. I still went through a flaky period, and I found just moisturizing like crazy to work best. I also started using jojoba a few weeks into DKR. I used jojoba before BP, which I found the most effective. After a few more weeks I incorporated a moisturizer with an AHA, which really helped with flaky dry skin.

When I was on DKR I used Everyday Minerals foundation (which I still use). If I wanted to refresh my makeup for evening I would blot my face with a tissue to remove excess oil and simply reapply foundation on top. With the blotting & wear of the day most of my blush was gone, so I could apply a new shade if I wanted to. One light layer of EM foundation was usually enough to touch up, and then I'd reapply concealer where needed. With a powder mineral makeup, I find it easier to reapply and look fresh compared to a liquid.

If my skin was flaky then I applied a little jojoba to help smooth it out. Jojoba seems to make the flakes roll off onto my fingers, then I just wipe my hands off.

I would remove my eye makeup with an oil cleanser (DHC), but you could use whatever you normally do, and then I'd apply fresh eye makeup.

Now that my skin is clear, I can get away with removing all my makeup with an oil cleanser & then reapplying all my makeup, but I still only do that once in awhile. I don't like to wash more than twice a day still.

The first few weeks on the regimen are rough for makeup users. Virtually nothing looks very good while adjusting. I managed to use mineral makeup, but my skin adjusted fast to BP as far as dryness goes. I still went through a flaky period, and I found just moisturizing like crazy to work best. I also started using jojoba a few weeks into DKR. I used jojoba before BP, which I found the most effective. After a few more weeks I incorporated a moisturizer with an AHA, which really helped with flaky dry skin.

When I was on DKR I used Everyday Minerals foundation (which I still use). If I wanted to refresh my makeup for evening I would blot my face with a tissue to remove excess oil and simply reapply foundation on top. With the blotting & wear of the day most of my blush was gone, so I could apply a new shade if I wanted to. One light layer of EM foundation was usually enough to touch up, and then I'd reapply concealer where needed. With a powder mineral makeup, I find it easier to reapply and look fresh compared to a liquid.

If my skin was flaky then I applied a little jojoba to help smooth it out. Jojoba seems to make the flakes roll off onto my fingers, then I just wipe my hands off.

I would remove my eye makeup with an oil cleanser (DHC), but you could use whatever you normally do, and then I'd apply fresh eye makeup.

Now that my skin is clear, I can get away with removing all my makeup with an oil cleanser & then reapplying all my makeup, but I still only do that once in awhile. I don't like to wash more than twice a day still.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

i agree with siouxsie. the first week weeks on the regimen are rough when it comes to make-up. unfortunately, there really isn't a "cure-all" foundation to use. the best thing you can really do moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. the jojoba oil should help too. i would be worried about doing too many changes too, so just take it one step at a time. your skin will eventually get used to the bp and you won't be flaking as much.

as far as redoing make-up for evening wear, i agree with siouxsie too. you can use a gentle eye make-up remover to change up your eyes, and just touch up your foundation and blush. i don't like the idea of washing my face more than twice a day either.

I think I'm going to return the Bare Minerals stuff and go back to my old foundation. I have some left and it actually is starting to look good again.

I just bought Estee Lauders Double Wear Stay in Place powder with spf 10. I use it to both conceal and as my foundation. It's light, provides great coverage and doesn't clog pores. I was a long time mac user and I tried Bare Minerals but it made my skin look dull nor did it conceal my dark spots. I love it. I paid 28.00 and since I get two uses from one product that's a steal.