Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chocobot

Going on paleon diet.

I feel that three things cause my acne:

1- I know if I eat a whole bag of tostitos, my skin gets tingly soon after, and then very oily (the tingling is the oil coming out). This leads to a strong breakout, large red spot mainly, almost like a rash, and white heads of course. So this proves to me that some things I eat can trigger or worsen my acne. I also know that for a period I was making myself, every morning and sometimes twice a day, a smoothie that caused the back of my neck to breakout like crazy (something that never happens): two raw eggs, orange juice, two kiwis, a banana, and some yogurt. That probably caused my insulin levels to overload, but I had no concepts of that at the time. Eating raw eggs also has trigged this in the past.

2- Lack of sleep causes my skin, around mid-day the following day, to get tingly and oily, and white heats form on my face. Ever spent a whole night without sleeping? Other than being tired, what else do you feel? My face in such situations always felt like the pores were opened wide, it almost feels like my skin is turning into a sponge, an acidic taste becomes present in my mouth, and my skin starts to get oily.

3- I know people freak out about this but it makes sense: frequent masturbation/sexual activity has always caused my skin to become oily a few hours later, up to around 48 hours, and my nose, chin, cheeks, and jawline will break out, especially my nose.

4- In late 2007 I managed to completely clear my upper back without even thinking about it. I believe this was due to simply two things; wearing and changing tank tops regularly and getting tanned. My body's skin has always been dryer than usual since I've gotten tanned, so I believe it caused my upper back to produce less sebum. My upper back started to breakout a bit again recently because I wasn't wearing tank tops often under my shirts. I've remedied to the situation and continue to get tanned and it has cleared up again.

I was clear of acne for one year back in mid 2004 (around July summer) to mid 2005. What was different during that time? Well I remember that I was eating anything I wanted, no restriction, but I was eating healthy, and never consumed dairy (there would be cheese in some sandwiches from local restaurants sometimes but I'd never outright eat dairy). I was consuming bread tho, I love bread.

But regardless, I've decided that now that my acne came back in full force, especially recently it's gotten worst to the point where I almost gave up on life, I'm going to make some serious changes.

1- Sleep 8 hours a night, go to bed early, try to catch those "I'm so tired I could fall asleep" moments I get at around 9pm and just fall asleep at that time.

2- No more masturbation. I haven't jerked off in 9 days and I know I can keep going anyway. I prefer to have clear skin than get some temporary satisfaction from jerking off; when my skin is clear (it sometimes clears up) I get a lot of nice looks from random girls, smiles, etc., and I remember each and every smile I get because I'm a weakling for a woman's smile! The more the better, so screw masturbation, I prefer nice smiles;)

3- I'm going on the paleo diet. I already eat very healthy, but I've been eating a lot more dairy over the past months because I'm trying to gain weight. But as I keep working out I realize I don't need to do that. I will continue to eat right and work out. If I don't get bigger so be it (I failed at gaining weight actually!), I'm already in much better shape than just a few months ago and lots of people have noticed:) The difficult part will be to stop eating bread/cereals because I LOVE bread and cereals and pastas! I always only eat whole grain bread, but for now I'll avoid it all.

A couple of weeks ago I did some experiments which worked but caused me to lose too much weight: I was eating only pasta three times a day along with an apple each time, also some almonds on the second meal with the pastas, and a salad with the pastas at dinner. I cleared up like never before in just a few days, no oily mid-day shine, etc. But it was difficult to follow and probably not healthy. I think bread/wheat might not be a culprit for me, but we'll see.

Whatever the case I think I can do it!

I'll report as much as I can.

If I suddenly stop reporting, it's because I'm a jerk who managed to clear up and is too busy being happy to post here!;)

But seriously I'll report, even if it is obvious to me by now that diet is related to acne!

Paleo diet is a great choice, and it sounds like you will have success with it.

Just be sure to eat enough fat while you're on it. If you're taking away carbs from your diet, you have to give your body something else to work with.

Yes that is the problematic part; I work out often and I've seen results, but I'm afraid of losing weight and not having enough carbs.

The thing is, where did the paleolithic man get his carbs from?:P

It's good to hear that you are going on the Paleo diet. I've gotten completely clear on it.

Yes that is the problematic part; I work out often and I've seen results, but I'm afraid of losing weight and not having enough carbs.

The thing is, where did the paleolithic man get his carbs from?

i know this is very UN-paleo, but I recommend eating white/sweet potatoes. Bake them or Steam them. They are very nutrititious, and I seriously doubt many people have problems with them...Eat it after you workout....

Experiment! You are going to have lots of conflicting advice on this board!

i know this is very UN-paleo, but I recommend eating white/sweet potatoes. Bake them or Steam them. They are very nutrititious, and I seriously doubt many people have problems with them...Eat it after you workout....

REALLY?? That's the first time I heard this....

I thought it's considered unpaleo because its inedible in its raw state...

Actually potatoes and other tubers are very paleo.

I feel that three things cause my acne:

2- No more masturbation. I haven't jerked off in 9 days and I know I can keep going anyway. I prefer to have clear skin than get some temporary satisfaction from jerking off; when my skin is clear (it sometimes clears up) I get a lot of nice looks from random girls, smiles, etc., and I remember each and every smile I get because I'm a weakling for a woman's smile! The more the better, so screw masturbation, I prefer nice smiles;)

A

If I suddenly stop reporting, it's because I'm a jerk who managed to clear up and is too busy being happy to post here!;)

haha, this made me laugh :) bless..

Since we can't really know what they were eating in the paleolithic we resort to populations that live like we imagine life could be in the paleolithic. In other words the paleo diet is a fancy name for the hunter-gatherer diets. And hunther-gatherers from Kitavans to Sans and Mahori are huge consumers of tubers. That being said a paleontologist Wrangman and others collegues found evidence of cooking tubers 2 million of years ago. Many paleolithic diets take advantage with benefits and no health cons of tubers like potatoes and yams.

Since we can't really know what they were eating in the paleolithic we resort to populations that live like we imagine life could be in the paleolithic. In other words the paleo diet is a fancy name for the hunter-gatherer diets. And hunther-gatherers from Kitavans to Sans and Mahori are huge consumers of tubers. That being said a paleontologist Wrangman and others collegues found evidence of cooking tubers 2 million of years ago. Many paleolithic diets take advantage with benefits and no health cons of tubers like potatoes and yams.

vandeathwood: well people disagree but they also disagreed about diet being related! I think people automatically assume that if you say masturbation leads to acne, then you must have a religious agenda (but I am absolutely not religious). It makes sense to me, because sexual activity is related to hormones, and animals don't spend day after day having sex or jerking off, so it can't be normal to be in a constantly "sexual" cycle. So to me it's just trying to stay in balance, and as such avoid excesses. Plus I have acne by default, so I can keep away from masturbation if it means it can help my skin stay clear.

Anyway, 10 days so far (I don't really count the day, just a ref for you guys) of no masturbation:p I don't miss it, because it was always linked to feeling depressed anyway.

What I ate today:

Breakfast: Some hazel nuts, an apple, and some cinnamon. A salad of spinach and misc. lettuce (the multi colored packed ones), all bio, with small tomatoes, a bit of chopped onion, and some chopped red cabbage. A bit of vinaigrette (yeah I know vinaigrette is not paleo but I don't put too much and I buy quality one, without added sugar or loads of preservatives or anything like that). Half a can of clams were added to the salad.

I had a major loss of energy at around 3pm, but I went out to buy some food and felt fine by then. I think I just needed to get moving:)

Dinner (no lunch today, woke up at 11am:p): A whole chopped chicken breast, at the end of the cooking I added chopped red onions so they don't cook too much. Some raw chopped broccoli. Some flax seeds.

I'll probably eat something else by the end of the day, something light like another apple and some veggies or whatever. I get lazy on the weekends and end up skipping a meal:p

Skin status: It's been hot (I need an air-cond unit!), but no breakout today. My chin still feels like it could breakout at any minute (been breaking out for like three weeks now), but so far so good. Hopefully this week will go well, and I'll get some good sleep. Friday we have a party at work:)

I need to think of more foods to buy that would be good for me, but preferably stuff that doesn't perish too fast. I don't like the idea of not eating lentils tho, I like them and I never had a problem with them. I might eat them anyway. I don't eat eggs out of fear of a breakout because I mentioned they made the back of my neck breakout bad before, altho I was eating them raw.

EDIT: I will also try to eat fruits separately from meals, but I never had a problem with that before (I always eat an apple just before a meal).

I think the hunter-gatherers would not eat meat early in the morning, instead they would wake up and find mostly small fruits like berries, some nuts and maybe some vegetables. By mid-day to later in the day they would maybe eat something like fish or meat (because it takes time to find and catch the animals). Throughout the day they would find some fruits or roots, etc., that they would eat on the spot (I doubt they had a concept of meals, but cramps maybe have warned them against eating a lot before a movement-intensive activity like hunting).

Also, think about animals; they need energy after they wake up to start hunting, so the food sources are small and easy to catch at first, once energy has built up they are ready to chase more difficult-to-catch foods, they spend their energy chasing the animals, and then eat to replenish and rest.

Yeah that's why I will then adapt to what works for me.

I want to follow the diet properly at first, and then I can experiment. I don't like to follow rules just to follow rules:)

As for sexual activity, I again refer to how animals behave. I think they are a good model. For example, I said I would try to not mix fruits with meals like meat, because no animal eats a handful of strawberries while chewing on some goat leg!:P

Animals tend to eat things separately because in nature different foods are not often found together, especially different sorts of food. The hunter/gatherer would be the same. So in the morning I will eat stuff that a human or animal would more easily get his hands on, like fruits/veggies/nuts. Then for lunch I'll get something that is more meat or fish oriented, not mixed with a lot of other foods. For dinner, maybe more vegetables (which would have been gathered throughout the day and kept for later), and more meat. Or something like that. I won't make this too complex:)

Don't fall in the trap of dogmatic nutrition where you think everything that is compatible with your "diet" is good and everything which is not is automatically hamrful. Typical examples are people on a low-carb thinking that whatever refined crappy unhealthy low-carb stuff is good per se. Or people on low-fat believing that any sugar filled unehalthy refined food in great just because it's low-fat. Or vegetarians thinking that what they eat is all good as long as it is vegetarian. And now paleo eaters, believing that it is most important for a food to be "paleo" than it to be healthy. Not to mention that paleo is way more ambiguous and controversial than the other one. Who cares if vinegar didn't probably exist in the paleolithic ?!

Ok today's results and food choices:

I woke up this morning with many tiny white heads, very small. After coming out of my shower they were gone because when I washed my face it probably broke them. My chin was still the main spot where I had white heads today, a bit on the side of my nose too. But no breakout today.

Breakfast: Some hazel nuts and almonds. An apple with cinnamon. A small salad of broccoli, a small red onion, and some radishes:)

Lunch: An apple and veal.

Dinner: A big salad of misc. lettuce and spinach, red cabbage, radishes, small tomatoes, and some vinaigrette. I forgot the onions:p And a large pangasius fillet. with cayenne pepper and lime juice.

That is all. Energy levels at work were fine, but now that I'm home I feel very tired because it is hot today. Always happens during the summer, but I'll get my air-cond unit next weekend:)

Let's see how it goes by the end of the week.

Chocobot, I highly recommend you going on paleodiet.com and reading some of the articles they have posted. They explain things better than I can, but imo I think you're relying too much on low-calorie vegetables and lean protein right now to be on a true paleolithic diet.

What am I missing? I read that site before. I still haven't bought game meat and food like liver, but I just have to figure out where to buy them. Same for root vegetables. There isn't much variety at the super market:|

BTW do you know what I should use to cook and prevent the food from sticking? Right now my only option is olive oil+butter sadly, and it still sticks a bit.

Anyway today I woke up with no new pimples. Just a few small white heads appeared later in the day but nothing major. My chin was must less bad than usual, and overall my face is healing.

I still feel rather tired. This morning I worked out and almost puked after (I worked out on an empty stomach but nothing very difficult). I usually eat my breakfast right after, and this has always been fine before. At work I was fine, not tired but still overall I feel I have a bit less energy than usual. I'm wondering if this is just the adaptation period? Anyone who knows please reply.

Today's food intake:

Breakfast: Apple with cinnamon. Canned tuna in water (drained), a bit of cayenne pepper, some broccoli, two small red onions. A handful of hazel nuts and almonds. Around three hours later I ate a banana.

Lunch: Just a chicken breast. Around three hours later I ate around one and half to two handful of cherries.

Dinner: Added around 150 grams of cooked shrimps and scallops to a big salad of misc. lettuce and spinach, chopped celery, chopped turnips, a few small tomatoes, some red cabbage, some vinaigrette, and some lemon juice on the seafood. I like the warm seafood in the cold salad, it makes the taste of the whole salad stronger:)

I really like how I'm eating more diversified foods, usually I'd eat pasta around 4 dinners a week, or sometimes I wouldn't be very hungry and would just eat a salad. I do miss cereals and dairy tho. BTW I drink water all day long, around two hours after a meal. Oh I forgot to add that I started eating flax seeds too around dinner time. Around two table spoons. I chew them a lot.

Still no masturbation since May 30, and not even an urge to do so anymore. Instead I have an urge to eat bread, cereals, and dairy! :surprised:

Again, I think that you're relying too much on fruits and vegetables here. "Paleolithic" does not only mean fruits, veggies, and meat; it also refers to the theory of how mankind relied mostly on animal products in paleolithic times.

We probably would have eaten fruit during the summer months; however, some fossil evidence records no evidence of fruit consumption, just to give you some reference.

Paleolithic diets probably would have been mostly fat--I'm talking 80% or more of the diet--and right now your diet is mostly carbs, it seems. Paleolithic humans would have had a diet rich in organ meats such as bone marrow and eyeballs (gross it sounds, I know).

Now, those types of meats aren't generally available nowadays, which is why I advocate the use of oils--coconut oil, olive oil, butter, etc--to boost fat intake. Because those organ meats would have been mostly fat, some protein, and little to no carbs.

It's unlikely that man would have relied on fruits and veggies thousands of years ago, like you are right now. Even vegetarians and vegans in today's world get many of their calories from grains, tubers, legumes, and nuts.

And the thing is, when you do eat meat, it's generally very low in fat (tuna in water, chicken breast). The shrimp and scallops is good, but you only had 150 grams--correct me if I'm wrong, but that's less than half an ounce.

I think everybody experiences a temporary energy loss when switching to a Paleolithic diet, because of the body relying less on carbs and more on fat; but right now, what you're doing is not a true Paleolithic diet.

My advice:

-Increase fat intake from pure fat sources (by the way, coconut oil is great for cooking. If you don't follow any of my advice from this post, at least buy some coconut oil. You won't regret it.)

-Decrease the fruit for now. I have some fruit for dessert sometimes; but I wouldn't have fruit for breakfast.

Thanks for the info!

I understand I'm not getting enough meat. The reason is I didn't have the time to find places where I could buy other meats. I don't like the idea of just eating more beef or pork (two meats I'd rather avoid because they are mass-produced like few others, along with chicken but I won't skip that). This weekend I'll look for places that sell stuff like game meats, liver, beef heart, etc. I know a Vietnamese market where they sell cooked duck but I'm not sure how they prepare it so I'd rather buy duck and cook it myself. For sure increasing the meat intake is a priority. And I want to gain weight so I don't have to hold back:) Also I eat nuts daily and I just have to buy more variety.

I'll buy coconut oil this week. I want to continue to eat fruits but probably only between meals. For example, I have a banana and an apple for tomorrow. Maybe I can instead have fruits just once a day, in-between a meal, of one variety which I change every few days.

The 150 grams of scallops was half the bag, so maybe it's just a very small bag:) But I'm just starting, I'll get a better idea of the proportions I should eat soon. BTW I saw some frog legs in that freezer, that's next on the list! It's been years since I had those:)

I hate how pricey food has gotten recently, but I don't mind paying more for good food.

EDIT: Oh yeah I might have said this before but I'm not eating eggs because they made my neck breakout before, but I was eating them raw, and I have never found for sure if they were the culprit or not. I'll buy some, but maybe not the regular chicken eggs, and I'll eat them hard-boiled only.

And I take a daily vitamin D3 supplement, and sometimes (like once a week) a vitamin B supplement (I noticed it makes my urine almost fluorescent yellow).