Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anarion

TCA cross on nose?

I've been 95% clear of inflamed acne past 6 months but instead got a serious problem of blackheads forming on my nose. It happened so gradually i didn't notice it until one day i looked in the mirror and realized how bad it had gotten. I squeezed them out but the pores would not snap back into shape. I'm now left with extremely large/scarred pores all over my nose. It's so bad i've never seen anyone with a nose like mine. I don't understand how this happened and i can only think about how unlucky i am. Reading every derm/expert in the area claim that that nothing can be done about enlarged pores has made me very depressed about my situation.

So i heard about the TCA cross method and it brought me some hope. The scars are like holes, more like icepick scars, or just scarred pores so i thought maybe this method could work for me. Does anyone have experience with using TCA cross on their nose? I've ordered a 100% TCA cross solution and the plan was to dilute it myself to 12-20% strength and try it on some scars. I've searched this forum like mad but i haven't really found anyone with a problem similar to mine.

Suppose i could borrow a camera and post a picture if it's necessary but don't hesitate to give me some input using the information you've gotten.

i did 100% tca cross on 3 large ice pick scars on my nose , when the scabs were formed it looked as though they had filled in, but now 3-4 months on they are just back to normal, ie deep and visible.

i dont know if another round of tca would work, probably not because the nose is cartilage instead of

normal flesh. :shrug: im not an anatomist lol,

in this pic it shows you the area of nose with little flesh or fat, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_nasal_cartilage

just happens to be where my scars are :doh:

no real point in pictures im sure our noses have similar holes in them, they look like holes left by chicken pox on a non acne sufferer.

would smoothbeam do it on the nose? maybe a filler?

just to add: out of all the areas that received TCA Cross treatment, my nose responded the least. all areas generally responded well—much better than on the nose. although my nose area has improved, i attribute it more to the non abalative laser treatment i had; it was not that powerful a treatment, so thats why i'm wondering if smoothbeam, which is on the stronger side of non abalative, might do the trick; if not, i think a filler would have to since the nose area decides to be flat or not depending on the day, maybe it just needs a little bump. anyway, just my experience... wish you all the best!

Hey guys, I have a theory why nose scars seem to not heal well or open back up over time.

I think it is because of the constant micro muscle movements that tweak the nose this way and that, putting tension on wounds and/or scars. Wound tension has been proven to be a major major factor in scarring. Botox injected in the muscles surrounding fresh surgical wounds have been proven to dramatically decrease scarring and aid in healing.

Here is a Mayo Clinic study on the effects of botox of scar prevention in sutured surgical forehead wounds. Scroll down and take a look at Figure 2. The results are really very impressive. It makes perfect sense that freezing all the muscles around a wound would help prevent scarring by preventing any tension on the wound.

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/insid...D=4112&UID=

Anyways, my theory is that if botox was injected into every muscle that moves the nose skin before scar revision procedures like tca cross was done, then we would have significantly better results. This is just my theory. What do you guys think? I had botox injected right at the junction of my nostrils and the top corners of my smile lines once to diminish the nasallabial folds, and although my laugh lines disappeared, I had a really unnatural smile for a couple of months. This, I am guessing, would be the consequence of having botox injected around the nose...which would include the muscles that move the upper lip/cheek apples into a smile.

Anyways....it's just a thought. But that's the only reason I can think of as to why nose scars seem to heal so disastrously.

Thoughts?

This is just a comment and suggestion based on how I read into what you were describing.

I have had issues with blackheads around my nose for a long time. Early on I tried squeezing one or two out after washing my face when everything was softened up. I was left with big open pores as well but it's wasn't what it appeared. Yes the pore was open but the pore was still blocked a partial way down. Meaning, the pore couldn't fully close ( or close to its maximum) because it was still filled.

Try using things like lactic, mandelic, glycolic and salicylic acid to get deeper into the pore to clear everything out. I have found that using salicylic acid has cleared my nose pores more thoroughly and they ARE much small in diameter ( not just appear to be smaller) without the typical blackhead you are use to seeing.

Also, I recently tried using a peppermint oil solution of 1 part pure peppermint oil to 15 parts water. After a few days of use, applying the solution to my face ( rubbing harder around the nose area) blackheads literally started falling out. There is a thread on the subject in the "acne research" area of this board. You might want to check it out.

Hey guys, I have a theory why nose scars seem to not heal well or open back up over time.

I think it is because of the constant micro muscle movements that tweak the nose this way and that, putting tension on wounds and/or scars. Wound tension has been proven to be a major major factor in scarring. Botox injected in the muscles surrounding fresh surgical wounds have been proven to dramatically decrease scarring and aid in healing.....

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/insid...D=4112&UID=...

That's interesting reading. That may be one reason. Others are the relative lack of collagen and relative lower circulation to the nose, I think.

I think it is because of the constant micro muscle movements that tweak the nose this way and that, putting tension on wounds and/or scars. Wound tension has been proven to be a major major factor in scarring. Botox injected in the muscles surrounding fresh surgical wounds have been proven to dramatically decrease scarring and aid in healing.....

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/insid...D=4112&UID=...

That's interesting reading. That may be one reason. Others are the relative lack of collagen and relative lower circulation to the nose, I think.

Hey, Wynne. I've read a few posts by others who also surmise that lack of collagen and lower circulation is a primary explanation for the difficulty of treating nose scars. I would be very interested if you have any sources to validate this. I really am curious and would like to educate myself further. I personally have somewhat of a hard time believing that this is totally the case...but I really have nothing to back it up.

However, if it is the case that there is less blood supply and collagen production in the nose than in other areas of facial skin, I feel that circulation and collagen production could be tremendously enhanced by using LLLT (Low Level Laser Therapy) or some form of LED / infrared light therapy in conjunction with botox and whatever scar revision technique one decides to use (TCA, excision, etc...) There is a huge body of clinical evidence that shows that LLLT greatly enhances circulation and increases collagen production. A while back, I was using infrared lights on my face for 20 minutes daily and I got botox in my forehead. The doctor couldn't understand why I was bleeding so much with each tiny pinprick he made into my skin. I told him I thought it was because of my light treatments and he agreed that was most likely the correct explanation. The blood supply to my facial skin was without a doubt significantly enhanced by light therapy.

Here are a few links to info on LLLT:

http://www.dr-wilden.de/ehtmls/puben2.html

http://www.laser.nu/

Oh, and another thing with nose scars and botox. I would say that the muscles in the nose should be kept "frozen up" for several months post revision, just so the collagen can develop and the healed skin can strengthen. I have no idea if this would work, but it makes so much sense to me. When I've observed my nose whilst making a variety of very subtle facial expressions, and the myriad of muscles in the nose seems to always be moving, almost imperceptibly, but I can see how this would create wound tension and prevent things from healing without larger scars. Think about it, if you have all these micro-pulls on a healing wound, of course it's going to heal with less than satisfactory results. Same with any wound. Take a second to observe your own nose and how often the muscles, even to a small degree, move and flex. This means that healing wounds on the nose are constantly being pulled with tiny micro-movements.

Here's the link again if anyone missed it: http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/insid...D=4112&UID= Look at figure 2. It's pretty impressive.

just another1, how is the peppmint treatment going? also does it irritate your skin or cause more scarring?

thanks

I have stopped using peppermint oil for now as I have started heavy chemical peels in preparation for my dermaroller therapy. In time I plan on getting back to using peppermint oil. As of now though, I can't fit into my current routine.

I encourage you to look into it. A 1 ounce bottle goes for less than $6 and this is further stretched out by diluting it at least 1/15 ( 1 part peppermint oil to 15 parts water).

P.s. no scarring but it can sting like a mofo (....and I have tough skin). It takes a lil getting use to. Like I have mentioned, there is an active thread in the "acne research" area of this site. you can check it out for other info.

Best of Luck

If that is the case, then why is it that scars on the cheeks, a part of our bodies which moves quite a bit with eating and talking, tend to respond so well to TCA.

What do you guys think is the best scar treatment for icepicks on nose?

i just apply 50% tca on an earbud, stretch the scar and push down. it creates an injury which helped last time i did. ive rescarred since then, so will give that a go again.

nothing else is likely to work on them, esp not lasers.

Edited by sydney_fellow