Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noremac

Body Dysmorphic Disorder

I think I have it, I spend sooo much time looking up scar treatments, it's become an obsession. Also, people's comments don't make it much better. If I do get rid of these scars than I'll get over it.

I do. Sometimes I imagine myself to be as bad as a burn victim. It's horrible but true.

Depression too.

The ironic thing is that just a year ago I was fine, but at the time I felt my world was crashing down because of one tiny icepick. It filled in and I cant see it anymore but within that timeframe I got 3 more scars. One cuz of picking cuz I was being stupid and 2 others that just ended up that way.

I can only say for people to really take a good look at themselves and assess how severe their scarring is truthfully.

Some people are truly fucked but others only THINK they are. Everyone has imperfections and the other thing is that a lot of people who you may think see you as imperfect, don't. I got a lot of compliments and was told that I should model. Now I feel worse and I try not to think about any compliment I've ever gotten because it seems so bittersweet knowing how things are for me now in the present.

Just appreciate what you have and if you do seek scar tx, then pls do your research. Don't buy into the infomercial bullshit and hoopla around lasers. A lot of scars don't NEED laser tx and can be done w/ plenty of other methods that have less risk and less downtime.

I dont have that but I do have OCD about certain things. I get upset if there is a small thread sticking out on my shoe, any flaws in my shoes really and Im always buying shoes, I bight my nails because I dont like ragged edges, I have been picking at this one zit on my neck and the other day I picked at it for two hours straight because it bugged me, etc.

I might have thought I had it a year ago or so. But I've gotten a lot better (almost to the point of not really caring much at all). Although I've always seemed to be concerned with my appearance, even when I was pretty young (before acne)

although it was worse when I had active acne. ITs realll mild now, but I've got some depressed scars I'd like to have gone, but they dont worry me as much as the cysts did for sure.

Yeah I have this illness. The scars didnt cause it though. No one knows what causes bdd. I find a high dose of an antidepressent (ssri's only) will reduce the size of the defect your concerned about, as well, you will spend less time in the mirror.

Yeah I have this illness. The scars didnt cause it though. No one knows what causes bdd. I find a high dose of an antidepressent (ssri's only) will reduce the size of the defect your concerned about, as well, you will spend less time in the mirror.

I used to be really obsessivve with my scars and receding hairlines. I don't really spend time researching endlessly or staring the mirror endlessly anymore. But I have extremely low self-esteem now.

If you have BDD then even if your skin problems are taken care of you will find other physical flaws to equally worry about. It will be never ending. I sometimes wonder if this would happen to me. If one is obsessing about EXISTING physical flaws as opposed to imagined and non-existing ones, is it still BDD? :think:

If you have BDD then even if your skin problems are taken care of you will find other physical flaws to equally worry about. It will be never ending. I sometimes wonder if this would happen to me. If one is obsessing about EXISTING physical flaws as opposed to imagined and non-existing ones, is it still BDD? :think:

yes this is true. I went from age 10 till current 30 in thisn order- Obsessed with birthmark on leg, then birthmark on right pectoral muscle, then nose, then eyebrows, then chin, then back to nose, then body hair, then hair on head, then weight concerns, and now finally the scars that were made by the two nose surgeries I had. It wont end, but every bdd'er thinks that the right amount of therapy, pills, and relationships, and surgeries will oneday set them 'free'.

BDD is a bitch, for sure. I've never had problems meeting women (I'm long since married & out of the game, but still...), and have been told that I am handsome all my life. I am still told that, and by people who don't HAVE to say anything (people other than relatives, friends, wife, etc.). I should just be happy with this and let it go... just consider myself lucky, right?

Nope. Even though I know that any compliment I get is pretty sincere, all I think is "yeah, right"... I am too pre-occupied with the state of my skin. I am in counseling now for it, and just had a spot of dermabrasion done in the areas that really bother me (just one side of my face). I think it can be overcome, but I'm almost 40 & it's pretty deep-rooted.

Anyhow, my advice to to acknowledge it, then fight it any way possible. It is an emotional disorder, so don't avoid the pyschological help (like I did for years)... start with this first. It's then an uphill battle to quit looking at the mirror so much, directing your thoughts elsewhere, doing things to keep your hands and mind otherwise occupied. Easier said that done... at first, but stick with it. You only have one life, so make it as good as you can as quickly as you can. Good luck! :)