Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi

my name is rydia and i have just started taking accutane almost 2 weeks ago. i have had mild to moderate acne ever since i was 13. mainly in the t-zone areas, nose and chin. usually not on my forehead. earlier this year my face started breaking out like crazy, almost overnight... on my cheeks, chin, and forehead. thankfully not on my nose! i didn't change anything in my diet or my workplace or anything so i'm not sure what it's from ... anyway, i finally went to see a derm and he prescribed me 40mg/d accutane, saying after 4 months i should be clear. i'm hoping this is the case!

so far in the first few days ... my face has been breaking out a bit more. i guess that's to be expected, the initial period of just getting used to the meds and allowing all the bad stuff to come out.

approx day 7 my skin started drying up but the breakouts were still coming out. it looks quite horrible now and is painful because it is dry and bumpy at the same time.

i also started to take fish oil and vitamin e supplements, anything else i should be taking?

i'm really hoping this med will work for me!! will keep everyone posted.

rydia

Hi Rydia! Thanks for your message on my log. It's great to know there are others like me out there on this journey. Very best of luck and keep us all posted of your progress!

:)

Hi Rydia! Thanks for your message on my log. It's great to know there are others like me out there on this journey. Very best of luck and keep us all posted of your progress!

:)

Day 14

Today my face feels somewhat the same, but still doesn't look great with a few new whiteheads on both my cheeks jutting out and one cyst on my chin. No noticeable improvements, my face still itches and is both oily and dry at the same time.

My lips feel nicely moisturized this morning as I slathered on Carmex right before I went to bed.

I conversed with one of my friends who was on Accutane 6 years ... she was on it for 5 months and has clear skin now. One thing she advised was not be too hard on my body in physical activity, as she suffered a back injury while on Accutane that is still hurting now. Any similar experiences out there? I love playing sports and I do like to go all out when I play! I haven't noticed any changes in my body since being on Accutane but it's only been two weeks.

Rydia

Day 15

Today I woke up with 2 (more) pimples right between my eyebrows and 2 cysts on my forehead, and the remainder have not come down yet. My face is hurting a lot and it still hurts to open my mouth. Today I have two meetings too sucky :(

I decided that since my skin looks so bad, I'm going to spend the money to do whatever it takes to feel good about myself in other aspects ... buy more clothes and shoes than usual, go to the spa regularly, etc... otherwise I'll become just way too depressed about my life :)

Try not to get too down Rydia, you are still very early in your course and things will get better as time progresses. As far as physical activity I have noticed I do get sore doing things that before I started accutane I would be okay doing them now on accutane I get very sore and tired. Just be carefull you know your bodies limits so don't push them. Good luck with the rest of your course and yes go out and do things that make you feel better about yourself as you are the most important person in your life and you deserve to feel good about yourself.

Day 16

Today, thankfully no new ones coming out but my face is still very bumpy and rough, oily and dry at the same time. Also had to walk in the rain to get to work and my bangs are flat and laying on my forehead, hopefully this does not cause more zits to come out! Had one meeting this morning and a course to get through today...

Side effects: Eyes have been a bit achy and sore (wearing contacts), and they are hard to open in the morning when I wake up because of the dryness, lips are dry but Carmex is working quite well. No changes in my body.

Day 17

Today... cyst on forehead is still there and hurts like crazy. Pimples between my eyebrows are starting to head. A bunch of heads forming on my cheeks right now too ... looks pretty bad and very bumpy but I guess that means the meds are working in pushing all this crap out of my skin!

Chin and left side of my forehead are almost clear (but still red) :) but everything else is a still a disaster.

Currently 5 active cysts and tons of whiteheads forming. My nose is still oily and the blackheads are still there. A bit of dryness/ scabbing on my left hand.

Hi rydia :)

Good luck with your course! I'm only on day 30, but for the first two weeks my face looked and felt like crap. Well, it still looks red and pimply, but not nearly as bad. The blackheads around my nose seemed to disappear overnight too. I hope it happens soon for you! Let's get rid of these damnable pimples!!

Hi rydia :)

Good luck with your course! I'm only on day 30, but for the first two weeks my face looked and felt like crap. Well, it still looks red and pimply, but not nearly as bad. The blackheads around my nose seemed to disappear overnight too. I hope it happens soon for you! Let's get rid of these damnable pimples!!

Thanks for responding raquelle! This website is great because it`s just so encouraging and so nice to know others are in the same boat as me.

Anyone seen Pirates of the Caribbean At World`s End?? I would love for my skin to look as nice as Miss Elizabeth Swan's (even though Keira Knightly has also suffered from acne) but today I felt like I could have passed for Bootstrap Bill with all the hard scabby heads! Boo but at least it can (hopefully) only get better. :)

hiya babe just dropping by to say good luck with it all and keep going with it it is totally worth every second of being on tane i was on 40mg for 4 months just finished and im 100% clear!! as for dry eyes go to the pharmasist and ask for some eye moisturising drop they really help take care xx ;)

Thanks pinkunicorns, I'm glad to hear that you had a successful course of Accutane, your log is encouraging! I know it will be a long journey but I just have to keep telling myself it will be WORTH it in the end.

Day 18

The cyst on my forehead has become this irregular shaped one of approximately 3 pimples altogether! Aah and it still hurts. I shifted my bangs over to the right side to cover it because my left side appears to be getting better.

My cheeks are still pretty scabby and extremely bumpy. I don't think there's any new ones there to report, but the current ones just seem to "appear" worse and worse because they're heading more and more. The ones in between my eyebrows still haven't gone away and they are distracting me cuz I can sort of see them from the inside corners of my eyes!

My face still hurts when I make any facial expressions other than neutral, and sometimes I feel throbbing in my cheeks...

Playing soccer tonight, will slap on some sunscreen :)

Day 19

This morning things are still not improving yet. I hope that after month 1 it will start??

My skin feels itchy and kind of tickly sometimes almost like I feel like I have a hair swinging on my cheeks but there isn't anything there except these ugly scabby spots!

The cyst on my right side forehead is kind of starting to come down (4 bumps are visible on it...) My cheeks are really red, bumpy and scabby still but I think part of the right cheek is kind of STARTING to smooth out a little. On the left cheek I still have 2 multi-bump cysts which are working their way up slowly. Chin's somewhat clear and left forehead there's an area which is starting to feel like a bump coming up. In between my eyes.... not active anymore but still bumpy and visible and annoying.

I got a slight bit of a bleeding nose but it wasn't too bad.

Today's my last day of work before I take two weeks off, yay I don't need to come into to work to face all these people. But I'll be taking a vacay to TO next Friday and I hope things will start to clear by then?? I would hate travelling with all these nasty bumps on my face!!

Day 22

Forgot to update over the weekend anyway all weekend I felt quite crappy :( Just didn't want to see anyone at all! I think my right cheek is kind of clearing up but only part of it. The large bumps on my forehead just don't seem to be smoothing out at all. Left cheek is still pretty scabby and sometimes bleeds here and there if I smile or talk too much :(

Anyway thankfully I have this week and next week off from work. I know it's early but I'm going to see my derm today to get some more pills cuz I'll run out by the next appointment. Anyway, it sucks at this point in time but I hope that by the end of this treatment it will all be worth it.... !!

booo just got back from the derm .... he was quite surprised that after 3 weeks nothing seemed to have improved on my skin. they injected 4 cysts today *ouch!* :( and ... on top of that my derm said that i'm on my way to major scarring unless i get laser acne done. so i agreed to do it .... it's 6 treatments of 17 minutes under this blue light thing that i guess kills off bacteria or something? unfortunately i have to break it up with my vacation in between but hopefully the first couple of times will make some sort of difference before i go.

has anyone out there had to do this while on Accutane? I'm still on accutane, and my derm has continued in giving me 40mg for the next month.

just wondering... i hope this laser thing helps. but it sounds like i'm a very bad case at least to my derm it is....

Day 23

So today I woke up with a huge pimple right under my right eye! owww ... I feel like Quasimodo! ~_O I hope this doesn't stay very long. I cancelled my plans for today because I can't keep it open without straining .... this sucks!

Anyway ... as far as skin goes .... still looking the same. I can feel a few small bumps above my lips ... still the bumpy cheeks, and the cysts on my forehead are starting to come down a slight bit probably due to do the cortisol injections.

I'm going in for another laser acne treatment on Thurs, maybe get some more cortisol injections. I don't like those things at all! I hope the one under my eye goes away before Fri cuz that's when I go on my vacay...

Day 25

* Gross blog read only if you can handle *

OK so .... good news, the scabbiness on my face has subsided a bit. Bumps are coming down slowly, my right cheek is especially turning a bit smoother, my left cheek still has 4 actives but the remainder of the cheek is somewhat clearing up. Everything is red though. Forehead.... no actives, but just previous bumps that are coming down, and tons of red marks. The one under my eye is not as big anymore, I don't look like Quasimodo but it is still a bump ... a whiteheadish bump. I hope it doesn't stick around too long.

Today I got a haircut and my new bangs cover my forehead yay!

OK but gross story here. I was playing soccer tonite, and got hit REALLY HARD with the ball on my right cheek. Yes, the one that is healing quite nicely but still not completely healed. I think the ball popped about 5 of my zits cuz I was bleeding from about 5 different holes! Grossness... When I came home I made sure I cleaned it all out. It was embarassing ...

Alright ... off to TO tomorrow so I don't know how much I can update this thing. Wish me luck!

Day 36

Yay finally finished over a month! But I have to say that my vacay kind of sucked because I had crappy skin all throughout. I would say that the fifth week was the harshest for me, and it is finally starting to clear a little more. Might have been because I was waking up early for tours and stuff, putting make up on, and it was a more humid place than I'm used to. Basically, all the cysts turned into multiple whiteheads, which even within HOURS were waiting to burst and just throbbing and itching throughout. So there were differences even between when I woke up and when I went to sleep.

Anyway so I just got back ... and, my forehead is pretty much clear yay! My chin has one whitehead which dries out and then comes back and dries out and comes back but I think it is close to finished. The bottom halves of my cheeks are clear. Now, I'm waiting for areas right on my lips, and the top halves of my cheeks... I have 4 small pimples symmetrically placed right around my lips 2 on the top and two on the bottom (even though they're small it still hurts to talk and to eat). I still have 4 whiteheads (that dry up then come back then dry up etc) on the top right cheek and 6 on the top left (including a huge one close to my ear). So ... I would say, there is some progress.

I still look quite red as a tomato however and ... expecting that this will probably be the case right up until the end of my treatment. Anyway ... even though the suckiest part happened during my vacay ... hopefully that's the end of it!

Day 38

Not much to report the past couple of days. I really hope I'm done with the IB! It has been clearing up slowly. I still have 5 bumps on my left cheek, and 2 on my right cheek... they are still kind of big, but I feel like they will start shrinking soon. The ones on my chin have dried up. Forehead is clear.

Only thing that hurts now are the ones that are around my lips ... they hurt like crazy! They are tiny little whiteheads but cause my lips to be quite swollen. It is difficult to smile and to eat, and even putting chapstick on I feel like there's this "obstruction" while I'm rubbing my lips together. Oh well, I think that's the worst part of my face so far so it's not too bad.

Got another derm appointment for a laser acne treatment today.

Hi Rydia,

I was just wondering about the lazer acne treatment while on accutane. My derm told me that I couldn't do that or any kind of facial peel for 6 months after treatment as there is a higher possibility of scarring. Did you hear differently?

Hi Rydia,

I was just wondering about the lazer acne treatment while on accutane. My derm told me that I couldn't do that or any kind of facial peel for 6 months after treatment as there is a higher possibility of scarring. Did you hear differently?

When I went in for my second visit (3 weeks on Accutane), my derm told me I needed the laser treatment as the zits I was getting while on Accutane was scarring me up badly. I think it was because my acne was so out of control (IB was intense) and so it started to scar. He said "Accutane will work for your acne, but you need to do something about your future scars. You need laser acne." The one I did was the blue light treatment, which I think kills the subsurface P.Acne bacteria? I suppose it just helps so that the acne is more under control at this point in time, so that I don't end up with huge scars later from "out of control" acne.

Right now, my skin is I would say about 10% better than when I had first started on Accutane, so this is progress (seeing as how my progress was at -50% during my vacation!). I have 3 more treatments to go.

I guess seeing as how my derm was the one who suggested it to me, I went along with it without really asking any questions ... but I will raise the concern at my next treatment which is next Thursday and see what he says.

Day 39

Not much to report today. I have a small somewhat painful pimple coming up on my chin but I don't think it's going to hang around for very long. Still have 4 big but not painful zits on my left cheek, and 3 on my right. The ones around my lips are starting to dry up and it's not as painful to move my mouth, eat etc... No scabbiness for a couple of days now. Forehead is still pretty clear maybe like a couple of tiny ones that go away within a couple of days. Still red as a tomato, esp when getting out of the shower. Get the day off so no makeup thankfully!

Lips are still quite dry which I expect for the rest of the course. Eyes are doing ok ... I think my eyes have simply gotten used to the dryness. I haven't been using any eye drops for awhile even though I wear contacts like 12 hours a day. Body is still doing ok in terms of dryness. I definitely get tired, bruised and cramped more easily while playing soccer though (I cramped up in both legs early in the second half!) but I know I have to take it a bit easier on my body during my treatment.

Day 41

So in the past couple of days, the couple of small ones on my chin have kind of grown to medium sized... not cysts yet. Anyway they're slightly painful. There isn't anything new on my left cheek but my right cheek has sprouted 3 more big ones, one being quite close to my eye so that absolutely sucks. My forehead has a couple of small ones, and now one medium sized one.

Currently, I have a total of 7 large pimples, 3 medium and a few small ones. Though overall it`s getting better, I think I had a bit of a dip this weekend and hopefully the dip is over. I wonder if it might be that I have been in the sun for about 2 hours at a time a few days in a row...

Not looking forward to going to work tomorrow though... But it`s Stampede time here in Calgary so a lot of people will be away from the office I hope!

Side effects: I`m noticing a lot of flakiness around my mouth and chin now. I can`t last the day without this flakiness starting to show up. My body has been quite sore, might be due to the activities I`ve been doing but I really haven`t felt this achy for awhile now.

Day 45

Yay, 1.5 months in! Things are looking much better now than when I first started. Anyway, I went to the derm office this morning for an acne laser treatment, but my derm wasn't there (his nurse operated the machine) so I just asked about the laser treatments. Basically she just said that for a lot of their patients, they do both the laser and Accutane at the same time when it's severe like mine is. I have 2 more treatments left. So far, my skin has been clearing up nicely. I mean I still have 5 bumps on my face, one which had popped up between my eyebrows again. I think this one will go away in about 5 days or so. Around my lips, the little bumps have subsided. One big one on the very left side close to my ear which has been there for weeks. One on my jawline on my right side, been there a few days. One small one which is drying up on my top half of the right cheek, and then one medium sized one which is in its shrinking stages on my left cheek, bottom. I think I might be getting tiny bumps on my left shoulder, but I can't tell if they are mosquito bites or zits...

I've started using Sheer Cover mineral foundation, which I have found to be amazing at covering my red marks! Not that I want to endorse putting make-up on the skin but honestly with how red my skin looks, I simply cannot go into work or even step out of the house without a little bit on. It's all about how I feel right? I don't have to use any concealer anymore, just the foundation powder. It's not flawless, but it's definitely better at concealing than what I was using before, and it's also very light and has anti-oxidants in it.

Also ... on the bad side, my diet has been veering away from what I planned due to Stampede lunches and breakfasts! Too much sugar from donuts, cookies, pancakes, syrups, etc... Oh well I will need to compensate for that next week.

Day 47

OK I'm trying not to report too often in the week, only if something new pops up and I just feel like I have to type it down.

Today my hands have very stingy-feeling rashes on the top sides, and lotion just stings even more. It stings while I'm typing on the computer, while I'm washing my hands, etc... This is annoying and I hope it doesn't stick around very long. The other annoying side effect is the lips peeling off every couple of hours but I don't expect that one to get any better any time soon. Then the last thing, my ankles (which I have sprained a few times each in my lifetime) feel a bit of achiness when I walk (at each step) the past week.

Skinwise ... I now have 4 bumps on my face. The one on my top right cheek had dried out and has left its red mark. The one between my eyebrows had gotten bigger and I accidentally put pressure on it while cleaning my face so it sort of popped ... not looking very nice but I guess it's coming down now. the others are still hanging around. I think there is a small one on my chin but it doesn't feel like it'll stick around for very long. The marks are still quite red, and skin still very sensitive.