Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sid99

More people use accutane for mild acne than we think!

I just did a google search about accutane and mild acne and interestingly enough a couple of web pages mention that 80% of accutane users are using it to treat mild acne and not actually the severe kind its meant for.

Well I thought about it apparently 90% of people suffer from acne and I realised when I go out how I can hardly spot anyone with pimples. My acne itself is mild with the occasional cyst and 2-4 pimples at a given time but in the real world even that seems severe and is enough to pyschologically effect me! I believe alot of people actually use accutane for mild acne either through very lenient derms who prescribe it or purchasing via the black market. I think derms probably prsecribe it to themselves all the time when they need to as I once read on another forum!

I'm thinking that maybe using a low dosage of accutane would infact be very good if I could get it prescribed (no more than 20mg daily) for a couple of months. I know there are risks involved but to me from what i've read these risks are just heightened and exaggerated too much. Apparently 1.5m people in the usa alone are on accutane! Thats crazy!

Maybe the reason we see hear so much about the negative side effects on the internet is because its mainly the people affected who come online and rant about it, the hundreds of thousands happy dont bother, why would they, they're enjoying life. I think because of a few isolated cases (by that I mean such a low percentage in comparison to the amount using it) its so difficult for people to get on this drug and I think with some research by the FDA accutane in low dosage may well become the norm to even fight mild cases of acne instead of us suffering for a number of years TRYING to find way using topicals.

I just think for me using topicals and weak antiobiotics which infact kill good bacteria as well as the infectious type are a waste of time and also have negative side effects. They may help to a degree but are a double edged sword as I think they damage and age the skin at the same time, plus they never fully get rid of the problem, sometimes making it worse. I think by being sensible, strict and clever a low dose of accutane may be the way to go for me and I am in all honesty now willing to give it a shot and convince my derm to prescribe it one way or the other!

Anyone else had any experience with low dosage accutane on mild acne please let us now your experience.

Maybe the reason we see hear so much about the negative side effects on the internet is because its mainly the people affected who come online and rant about it, the hundreds of thousands happy dont bother, why would they, they're enjoying life. I think because of a few isolated cases (by that I mean such a low percentage in comparison to the amount using it) its so difficult for people to get on this drug and I think with some research by the FDA accutane in low dosage may well become the norm to even fight mild cases of acne instead of us suffering for a number of years TRYING to find way using topicals.

BINGO!

How many people would really come back to an acne forum after accutane has cleared them up? They are busy enjoying the life that was taken away from them by acne. The last thing they want to do is be reminded of it

I am very pro accutane, because I've tried just about everything and accutane is the only thing that's worked (I'm on my fourth month now). Side effects have been minimal. I remember my dermatolosit put me on minocycline. I was hallucinating like crazy while on it, and had a crazy urges to eat a ton of salty foods. How is that any more safe skin than dry lips and slightly dry skin? Fact of the matter is, those are the only side effects that 80-90% of users will notice. Ask any dermatologist and they will probably agree.

I'm not sure about low dose accutane. I've read a lot about it, and to me it seems like most dermatologist would prefer to put their patients on a normal dose. It improves the chances of the acne going for good, and ensures that you don't by some chance develop severe acne later on in life. Of course, if you have the less common and more serious side effects on a normal dose, then low dose would probably be ok.

Don't be afraid of it.

Mate im going for it and you only encourage me! It's interesting because I bet all those big time city workers who have perfect skin are probably getting accutane someway or another (only joking but probably true). I say this because I have a good friend who has flawless skin, its unbelievable and its funny because we went swimming the other day and he has so many hyperpigmentation marks on his body but absolutely not even a minute flaw on his face. We went out and he kept on saying how his contacts were getting dry in his eyes, I straight away thought this buggers on accutane and hes not telling me! lol may not be the case but who knows.

Either way I think its time I give it a shot!

Good to know it working for you!!

Too many, unexperienced, uninformed, people. They just want something that will get them clear fast but don't realize the dangers and effects of accutane. People have no patience or dedication these days, they always try to look for the quick and easy way.

here we go again...

its funny that such a high risk drug can be reserved for people who are already in such a fragile mental state. Its clear the success outweighs the risks (just look the raving reviews). I think such a drug should be adviced, its risks clearly layed out but ultimately left on the sufferers own choice (unless for specific reasons where there is clear high risk such as pregnant women).

It makes sense to try other topicals and mild preventative methods first before embaraking on such a drug but when ones tried everything I think accutane should be easily prescribed. Do I have to get to the stage of becoming a severe or moderately sufferer before I can try it out? No thanks. I don't know this is just my personal opinion and everyones entitled to one. But i've seen a couple of threads with people using accutane for mild cases and to me it just seems like more of a win-win situation.

My friend is on accutane, and I have no idea why. I never saw him with more than 1 or 2 spots on his face at a time.