Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LemonsAndLimes

Confused about yogurt

Yogurt is dairy. Dairy is shown to be bad for acne. That being said, yogurt is a source of probiotics (make sure the yogurt you eat has living cultures). These healthy bacteria are hypothesized to aid in the digestion of dairy. They also promote good intestinal health, which is extremely important in acne sufferers. If you eat it, you have to eat the low sugar kind, though. Some yogurt out there is like eating candy. Which is not bad, but for the sake of acne.............we do anything, right? :dance:

damn, the guy above me beat me to it while i was writing this so here it again i guess:

it is beneficial in that it provides probiotics( good bacteria) if made correctly. it also has significantly lower levels of lactose since the lactic acid consume it, making it easier to digest for those who dont tolerate lactose well. Most of the stuff you'll buy in the store is garbage though because it made with pasteurized, homogonized skim milk and has lots of additives and sugars, etc. Id say that if you are going to eat yogurt, or any dairy for that matter, you should get fresh, raw milk(if you can get it where you live), and make your own. I have been making my own kefir, which is basically drinkable yogurt, and it is so much better than the stuff you buy in the grocery store.

Basically, if lactose is the reason you cant handle dairy then yogurt may be alright. If its the hormones or casein then you likely will not be able to handle yogurt. I have no problems ith dairy whatsoever, as long as it is raw and comes from grass-fed cattle, even though i convinced myself that milk would cause acne based on all the posts on this site making it out to be the world's most evil, and unhealthy food.

Yogurt should not be treated like regular dairy for two reasons:

1. It's lactose-free

2. It has beneficial probiotics

Many people can't tolerate milk because of the lactose; with yogurt, you don't have to worry about that. It's definitely worth a shot to see if you can tolerate yogurt. I don't eat a lot of it because I'm personally anti-dairy, but I have it every once in a while (it's a lot better than ice cream, anyway).

Try to get a taste for plain, unsweetened yogurt. This is the best kind and the least likely to break you out. Is there a Whole Foods near you? They sell an organic brand for $0.59 a carton.

yogurt is the absolute worst for my acne. Worse than milk. I must stress that i speak for myself only though.

i bought a tub of plain yogurt and it says it has cultures in it.

i have to put a lot of fruit in it. i havent broken out from it... yet

1. It's lactose-free

1. It's lactose-free

Yogurt is definitely not lactose-free. It might have low levels of lactose, depending on where you get your yogurt, but it still has lactose in it. My lactose intolerance is pretty average and I would treat yogurt like any regular dairy product. I've bought many yogurt brands and, from less than a serving cup of yogurt, they all give me the same symptoms of lactose indigestion. Of course, yogurt is nothing like milk and its side effects.

Hi

yeh yogurt is made by bacteria (lactobacilus) being put in milk and incubated, this makes the bacteria multiply, the bacteria produces lactic acid as a waste product from respiration, this cause the milk proteins and enzymes to break down, meaning that the milk thickens. So i think that the milk protein is the part that is problematic for acne, and it has brocken down, so i dont think its as bad as milk. If it is problematic for you, you could take a probiotic suplement, which are just the bacteria cultures and they will multiply in your digestive track.

Hope this helps

Guest jessmc

i eat yogurt twice a week for digestion reasons, but it also seems to help my skin and overall health and mood. i haven't had any milk for probably 5 years.

i always wondered why yogurt has such a positive effect for me but not milk. obviously both are dairy but what components of the milk aren't in yogurt? i may do more research on this.

the probiotics in yogurt are amazing and as long as you avoid yogurt high in sugars or added cream then they are healthy. i have been reading about insulin levels being related to acne, which makes sense. maybe yogurt doesn't cause increased insulin levels in the same way that milk does.

soy milk is dairy free and good for people with lactose intolerance and vegetarians/vegans but i wonder if it causes increased insulin levels like milk does?

this is not directly in response to what any of you said, just my thoughts about yogurt vs. milk in general.

I was actually considering buying plain yogurt, but I'm terrified to try it. Because right now, I'm 100% clear, which I'm pleased! Because now I'm no longer hiding in my house. Well, I'm feeling somehow miserable, so I actually need to start making friends :P

Sorry, some words were off-topic! But I dislike my skins! I wished they were smooth as a baby feet. :P

soy milk is dairy free and good for people with lactose intolerance and vegetarians/vegans but i wonder if it causes increased insulin levels like milk does?

Why is soy milk the first/only milk alternative you mention?

I was actually considering buying plain yogurt, but I'm terrified to try it. Because, right now, I'm 100% clear, which I'm pleased! Because now I'm no longer hiding in my house. Well, I'm feeling somehow miserable, so I actually need to start making friends :P

Sorry, some words were off-topic! But I dislike my skins! I wished they were smooth as a baby feet. :P

What did you do to clear up?

And if you are clear, don't bother with yogurt, no need:)

I eat yogurt daily. But I can't eat cheese or drink milk. But whatever, I am not clear.