Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lora

I'm back on the tane train!

I started today! Took my first pill after dinner (a celebratory chicken tandoori...im usually a health freak lol). I'm on 40mg a day atm which is the same as my first course. I'm not sure whether that will be the dose for my whole course...I suppose it depends on how it goes. I see the derm again in a month.

My first course was 21 weeks running from the end of September until the end of April. I never got totally clear and my oil has now returned and my acne is starting to come back to a point where it bothers me. The derm said he wanted to put me back on now rather than wasting time and I am very grateful for that :)

Well I've had it at varying degrees for about 11 years. I'd say that before my first course it was moderate. I didn't get cysts or huge spots but I had hundreds of small bumps on my face and a lot of redness due to inflamation. During my first course it reduced to very mild acne...maybe 2 small spots at a time.

Now I'd say it is still mild with mainly very small whiteheads and about 6 papules. But I've seen my skin like this before and it's heading straight downhill, especially since the oil has come back so much. Very pleased to be back on tane :)

I take it you are having to wait the month for iPledge before you start your course?

Sounds like you made a good choice to go back on Accutane and get rid of the problem for good!

Yep! Haha, my derm was real nice and didn't make me be on birth control for a month before starting. I actually called today and found out that they registered me with iPledge today and that I have my follow-up appointment on the 24th, and get my prescription on the 25th! It's very exciting to be less than 3 weeks away..it just makes you look at your pimples and go "Meh, you'll be gone in a few months."

I meant that my first course finished the end of February. I clearly can't do maths :P My birthday was the end of April haha. I've been on BC for ages anyway and thankfully we don't have iPledge in the UK :)

Just dropping by to wish you good lucka nd beautiful skin!

Lora did you experience any hair loss during your 1st course? I'm out of month 5 and haven't noticed anything at all. My hair seems as great as ever. I'd appreciate your input!

Well I have eaten healthily for the last 2 years since I began having acne problems again. I used to be veggie but now eat salmon and chicken (eating meat did not cause my acne - I had severe acne for years whilst I was veggie and didn't start eating meat until after my acne returned again). I eat lots of veggies and fruit (fruit in moderation) and generally stick to a healthy, low GI diet. Up until my acne began to return this time I would have the odd treat of a Mars bar or Pizza Hut meal. Now though, I eat even more healthily. So in a way I guess yes my diet is slightly more healthy than when I was on my first course.

A typical day for me would be:

Breakfast - porridge made with rolled oats and soya milk with flax oil and raisins added and some almonds.

Snack - some oat biscuits.

Lunch - salmon and lettuce sandwiches on multigrain bread, an apple.

Snack - a home made cereal bar and a soya yogurt.

Dinner - Quorn sausages, baby potatoes and vegetables. Dark chocolate and blueberries.

Super - Special K.

I don't think I noticed any hair loss on my first course. At one point towards the end I worried my hair seemed thinner but looking back I think I was just worrying myself because of things I'd read on here! My hair did become drier but nothing majorly annoying. It was easily worth it for the difference in my skin and the fact I could go for days without washing my hair!