Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benp

Just a couple questions

Hey guys

I started my accutane treatment 2 days ago (40mg Clarivis) and just have a couple questions.

-Is it ok to continue my benzoyl peroxide treatment while on accutane. I'm worried that if I just stop it now I'll break out pretty bad. I've heard that it can cause some major dryness, so I'm guessing that continuing with the BP will only make the dry flaky skin worse. Is it just recommended that I use a light cleanser and good moisturizer?

-What kind of lip moisturizer is most recommended or that you guys have found works really well? It sounds like dry lips is one of the most prevalent conditions so I'm planning on stocking up on some major chapstick.

Thanks for all the great info on these kinds of things. I'm super happy I found this community. It's really educated me and supported me.

Much appreciated

- Ben

I wouldn't use BP or any topicals on tane. It'll irritate your skin too much. Maybe you can spot treat in the beginning if you think your skin can handle it but I'd stay away altogether.

Aquaphor is great stuff for the lips. My lips are still pretty dry but I've been lazy about putting it on regularly. Although I'm sure most chapsticks and lip balms would help. Also remember to stay hydrated, which will help with the dryness.

I wouldn't use BP while on accutane, it might make you break out a bit if you stop it (atleast I think it made me...) but I don't think your skin could handle all that dryness it would cause.

I'm 5 months into Accutane and I have only recently started using BP. I really only put it where I have had trouble areas in the past. By no means should you smear it all over your face. The next day will suck...... it will be painful to frown or smile.

For my lips I use Blistex medicated chapstick. For my face I use Olay's hydrating beauty fluid. both get the job done. Everyone says that Aquaphor is top-notch though.

Good luck! :D

I also recommend you stop using BP. Spot treating is OK, but as mentioned above, all over coverage is not a good idea.

For lips I use Carmex at night and Burt's Beeswax during the day. Carmex is great and thick, but it tastes dreadful.

Best wishes to you, Ben. :)