Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jennifern

Looking for Fellow Accutane Users

I started Accutane yesterday and I am looking for people who have started recently (ideally within the last month). I also don't mind any advice from people who have been on longer or even have finished. I am very nervous about the initial breakout and side effects. You can visit my blog to see a picture at my worst. I will update it about every week or so...I guess really when anything major happens.

I just finished two weeks (today is day 14). I'm on Claravis like you and I'm taking 40mg a night.

I didn't get much of an initial break out, it was anything near as bad as what Yaz did to my face. Right now I'm suffering from dry skin, which I don't mind, but I have to be in a wedding saturday. However, the blackheads on my nose are popping out which I wasn't expecting. I actually don't notice them compared to my acne.

I started last Friday, so I am da 7 of 40 mg of Sotret. My lips are dry, and my face cleared up for 4 days, and then seems to be breaking out a little along my jawline and cheek. Not bad though. I took me 2 months to get on Sotret, so my face wasn't that bad when I started last week.

I just wanted to drop some words of encouragement off. Good luck!

Rules to live by:

- Wash with a gentle cleanser

- Carry medicated chapstick with you everywhere

- Find a great moisturizer (not good.... great)

*I have personally never used aquaphor but I hear it is top-notch!

It may take a loooooonnnnnngggggg time to see results but you will. It took me till about month 5. I'm feeling very confident now (finally) that maybe my skin will be 100% clear when my course is over. And I hope yours does too (and anybody else readin this).

I'm on day 6 now, for now my IB is kinda minor but it did come. It feels like all those bumps that were hiding under my skin for ages are just coming out, they come to a head really fast and pop out by themselves, really weird! My eyes are the worst part now, they are really dry even if I use moisturizing eye-drops. My skin is drying up but my lips are as moist as ever.

Oh and it feels like my blackheads are just coming out, drying up and falling off right away, my forehead (which had some blackheads, nothing too bad) seems to be clearing up already.

I just started about a month ago or so, and had about 2 or 3 whiteheads at a time. Those would go away in a few days, then 2 or 3 more showed up. This only lasted about 2 weeks or so. Week 3 for me, i only had about 2 or 3 the whole week. Week 4 I actually only had 1 new whitehead (showed up a day ago) and my skin is feeling pretty good.

The first few week was murder on my scalp though, i was flaking a lot, but that is gone now. Chapped lips are still there right now, my skin isn't overly dry like it was, i seem to be getting accustomed to my dosage, and I'll probably end up getting it increased when i go in next.

All in all i think it will only get better from here. The side effects vary from person to person, so just kind of feel out how your skin is responding to the medication.

I use cetaphil cleanser, and it seems to leave my skin a tiny bit more dry, but that is easily fixed with just a little bit of moisturizer.

good luck and i hope it works out well for you!

I just started Accutane after trying just about everything else (male mid twenties, been dealing with moderate-severe acne for about 10 years) and am entering my fourth week. Like everyone else, things got dry early on. Not to be discouraging, but at the end of week 1, I had about the worst initial breakout I could possibly imagine. My face had never looked THAT bad and I actually found that my face hurt. I should note that the acne was in all the places I ever had a problem zone (jawline, around nose, between eyes) and any area that typically was a clear area remained clear. I felt awful, stayed in for the whole memorial day weekend, actually called sick out of work because I couldn't stand to have anyone see me. Thankfully, after about 4-5 days, I saw signs of clearing and by the time week 3 came around, my face looked MUCH better. Not completely clear, but definitely clearing and in a stage where I would normally be pleased with my face. At this point I don't really have many new pimples popping up, the last of the 3-4 cysts are dying and getting smaller each day, and I'm feeling much better.

As far as drying goes, my lips are dry but not cracked because I use Burt's Bees (the healing one) religiously. My whole face is very dry in the morning, but I use Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel and it seems to work well enough. (Guys, this moisturizer seems to work well because unlike the lotion moisturizers, it doesn't really get stuck in the stubble of your facial hair when trying to rub it in) My scalp is also itchy and dry, but not flaking too bad. The most annoying thing right now is the cracks at each end of my mouth and the extreme dryness near my mouth whenever I eat something. Since my jawline is the most problematic, I think the remaining drying cysts are the culprit.

This post became rather long winded, but the take away is if you get a bad IB, stick it out and know you'll come out of it feeling much better. I'm shocked that I'm nearing the end of my first month and I can already see some pretty dramatic results. I'm on a 5 month course (80mg) and I can only imagine how it'll be by the end. Good luck to you!

I started last Friday, so I am da 7 of 40 mg of Sotret. My lips are dry, and my face cleared up for 4 days, and then seems to be breaking out a little along my jawline and cheek. Not bad though. I took me 2 months to get on Sotret, so my face wasn't that bad when I started last week.

I started Accutane yesterday and I am looking for people who have started recently (ideally within the last month). I also don't mind any advice from people who have been on longer or even have finished. I am very nervous about the initial breakout and side effects. You can visit my blog to see a picture at my worst. I will update it about every week or so...I guess really when anything major happens.

Hey Jennifer! I started June 5th just like you and I am taking 40mg of Claravis each day. The only difference is I am an 18 year old male lol.

Heya :)

I am on day 2 of my second course. I finished my first course 3 and a half months ago. So I'm getting to be an old hand at this now and know what to expect! My first course was 21 weeks at 40mg/day (I weigh 49kg). My second course is also currently at 40mg/day. Feel free to ask any questions!

I am taking 50mg roaccutane a day and am now on day 13, my skin has improved greatly and have seen no "IB". Sure there are a few new spots but nothing to worry about, they also disappear very quickly. My face and lips havnt been as dry as I thought they would be, I use moisturiser and that's doing the job, my lips were quite dry on day 4 and so i started putting some stuff on them, but they feel normal now but im still applying the lip balm just incase they get dry.