Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I haven't eaten meat in years and my skin is usually clear, except when I'm under major stress which happens about once a year or so. I do agree with what everyone is saying about eating healthy and not just eating like a meat-eater minus the meat. You need to eat nutrient rich foods and have protein and complex carbs and healthy fats, lots of fruit and veggies and beans and nuts etc. I try to make sure I have a lot of protein every day and I don't eat junk like soda or french fries or white bread or white rice, etc. I definitely notice a difference in my skin when I'm eating particularly well and getting plenty of sleep and exercise etc. I think it's all about the quality of your meals, because like someone said earlier, you can eat a lot of junk and call it "vegetarian" and that isn't going to keep your skin clear. My diet isn't really vegetarian or vegan because I do have fish occasionally (2-4 times a month max) and I have omega 3 oils daily. I never eat meat (animals) and I don't eat any dairy except on rare occasions, like if I'm at a party or event where there is wine and cheese or a restaurant and there is some cheese in the dish, etc. but I never drink milk. I do think milk can contribute to acne, especially with all of the hormones in non-organic milk. Same goes for meats. If you eat organic meat or chicken, at least you arent getting as many of the hormones and strange chemicals and other stuff that ends up in meat. I don't eat meat for my health, the environment, and for ethical reasons, but if you're just concerned about your health, you should at least eat organic if you're going to eat meat, especially if you are concerned about your skin.

I have a lot of books about the benefits of being vegetarian, and one of my favorites is called "Mad Cowboy." My dad read it (he's a total steak and potatoes type of guy) and he actually didn't eat meat for over a year after reading it. There's also one that's kind of funny that came out about a year ago called Skinny Bitch- basically says you can lose weight, look amazing, clear skin etc. on a healthy vegan diet. Both of these books talk about a lot of the nasty stuff in meat. I've read a lot of books about health and nutrition, and some contradict each other, but that's how you learn. I think it's important to get your information from various books and sources and use your own common sense, judgement, and experience to decide what works best for your own body. You should know your body and lifestyle better than anyone else.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts about being vegetarian and acne.

lucyhoneychurch, The Mad Cowboy also jump started my change in eating style. Reading his stuff led me to the Peta website where I watched 'Meet Your Meat'. After viewing that I can't fathom eating meat ever again.

I cant even kill ants. Animals are my friends. I have found a certain kindness in me.

I really value life no matter how small it is.

The only compromise I have had to make is with the Fish oil thing because of the Omega 3 ( no good veg sources ) and I cant tell you how guilty it makes me feel sometimes.

:(

K

I'm more concerned about my colon. I think cutting red meat out for good or at least a few months is definitely good for the skin and overall health.

I cant even kill ants. Animals are my friends. I have found a certain kindness in me.

I really value life no matter how small it is.

The only compromise I have had to make is with the Fish oil thing because of the Omega 3 ( no good veg sources ) and I cant tell you how guilty it makes me feel sometimes.

:(

K

If you guys value all life so much, then why do you feel no guilt in eating plants?

I think it's a little too convenient for somebody to choose which living organisms are okay to eat, and which living organisms are bad to eat.

ye im a veggie too and have been for 7 years- man i cant believ its been so long- but yeh i do eat fish...i dont know if no meat has mademy skin better or worseas at 13 [when i first became a veggie] my skin was clear and it only started breaking out a year or two later!

milk however def trigggers my acne- i try to cut it out but its just so good lol!

i would totally start eating meat again if it made my skin clear up- to me clear skin is the most important thing-however i would make sure that the animals were treated amazingly well before dying...

anyone here started eating meat again and seen it improve there skin condition???

x

I stopped eating meat (I eat fish still) when I was about 15, but I had acne since I was 11. Cutting out meat never caused a difference in my acne. I would say it was really bad from age 11-15, then kind of ok from 16-21, and then really bad (turned hormonal) from 22-24. So yea, I saw no correlation b/w meat (or lack of) and my acne. Other foods do trigger my acne like peanuts, tomatoes, shrimp, dairy, pineapple, sugar...and the list goes on...

If you guys value all life so much, then why do you feel no guilt in eating plants?

I think it's a little too convenient for somebody to choose which living organisms are okay to eat, and which living organisms are bad to eat.

@rakbs: You cruel :cry:

I am not getting suckered into this again. I am done trying to convince people.

I like you as person. You have pretty good knowledge. No flaming bro.

The only thing I will say is that I try not to kill beings with feelings, emotions, memories. In the end they say life is all about just memories. To snatch away those memories just doesnt sit well with me. :(

And yeah, they have children too. I cant just not feel anything for those little cuties.

--------------------

@coffeejunkie : Its so awesome that you dont kill things. try and keep it that way plz.

K

danny please make space for one message

bro

I even left you a comment days ago. plz

It's very simple

Plants have no nervous system and cannot feel pain or anxiety or fear.

They also lack consciousness. Besides most veggies and fruits and nuts and beans are the gems of the plants and it's therefore like cutting the hair of person, you're not killing the plant at all.

It's very simple

Plants have no nervous system and cannot feel pain or anxiety or fear.

They also lack consciousness. Besides most veggies and fruits and nuts and beans are the gems of the plants and it's therefore like cutting the hair of person, you're not killing the plant at all.

Asking for humane treatments of animals is a huge hypocrisy.

In order to breed animals they need to have their freedom to explore the world and relate with other animals curtailed. It doesn't matter if they're organic of humanely treated before being slaughtered, it is not a life anyway and it is a life of short slavery before death. It's like living in prison. It doesn't matter if you havea swimming pool and television, it's a prison and it's horrible; you have no freedom and can't escape. If one eats meat he/she must accept the burden of this but promoting humane treatment of animals before their slaughtering shouldn't be used to unload such burden and feel better because it's pure hypocrisy. Besides the only reason why we can eat meat everyday is because they're raised in bacteries by industries. It would be absolutely impossible to have meat as available as it is nowadays if the only meat the world eats came from free range organic farmers. Promoting such system must necessarily means accepting that meat would become something to eat once or twice a week, certainly not everyday. Meat also is the most economical demanding source of foods. No other food requires as much water, food, room and workers salary to be produced. This has been always a problem for third world countries as they poverty is strictly related to the high consumption of meat in western world but also because their famine could never be resolved through meat. In fact giving beef or whatever other animal to raise to a poor population is like suicide for them, since not only the end resulting edible parts are minimal compared to the cost of the animal and what it takes to raise and slaughter it but also because feeding the animals for these population means reducing the food their children can eat. The animal will eventually be skinny when it's ready to be slaughtered and would provide even less food per resources consumed, a ratio which is already very low in typical western farming.

And I'm also confused about your logic: if animals do not like being "enslaved" by humans, are you saying that humans should not own pets?

@rakbs: You cruel :cry:

I am not getting suckered into this again. I am done trying to convince people.

I like you as person. You have pretty good knowledge. No flaming bro.

The only thing I will say is that I try not to kill beings with feelings, emotions, memories. In the end they say life is all about just memories. To snatch away those memories just doesnt sit well with me. :(

And yeah, they have children too. I cant just not feel anything for those little cuties.

--------------------

@coffeejunkie : Its so awesome that you dont kill things. try and keep it that way plz.

K

Animals are dying every day because of natural predators, humans, and environmental changes, and this is always how it will be. By abstaining from eating meat, you are saving perhaps 30 animals per year, most of them chickens. By helping the cause against inhumane treatment you are saving many more.

The fact is, the human race would not be able to survive on a vegan lifestyle. I think that instead of focusing on not eating meat, it would be better to work against the inhumane treatment of animals, like in cages or feedlots or from animal abuse or insecticides.

I respect your love of animals, but you can love animals and value life while still eating meat. The two principles can easily coincide with each other.

I'm not going to get into a futile battle over the ethics of eating meat. But I will say to all the vegetarians and vegans who think they are consuming passive peaceful plants you are wrong and need to research basic plant biology. The vast majority of plants, especially the ones which we have domesticated for human consumption are mychorhiza formers. For the folks who have no understanding of plant biology I will make this as simple as possible:plants are carnivores! Plants form intimate relationships with fungi underground and in exchange for a home these fungi kill parasites, bacteria, etc.. and then directly pipe the nutrients into the plants root system. The plants takes these nutrients and store them in little nodules in their root systems. Just because plants dont have a developed nervous system dont be so quick to assume the are not conscious on some level.

I'm not going to get into a futile battle over the ethics of eating meat. But I will say to all the vegetarians and vegans who think they are consuming passive peaceful plants you are wrong and need to research basic plant biology. The vast majority of plants, especially the ones which we have domesticated for human consumption are mychorhiza formers. For the folks who have no understanding of plant biology I will make this as simple as possible:plants are carnivores! Plants form intimate relationships with fungi underground and in exchange for a home these fungi kill parasites, bacteria, etc.. and then directly pipe the nutrients into the plants root system. The plants takes these nutrients and store them in little nodules in their root systems. Just because plants dont have a developed nervous system dont be so quick to assume the are not conscious on some level.

I know that it would be impossible for every human on Earth to adopt a Paleo or Atkins diet; it would not be sustainable. But that's due to overpopulation. We can deal with overpopulation for now by feeding everybody inexpensive grains; but eventually we'll have to tackle the issue.

I know that it would be impossible for every human on Earth to adopt a Paleo or Atkins diet; it would not be sustainable. But that's due to overpopulation. We can deal with overpopulation for now by feeding everybody inexpensive grains; but eventually we'll have to tackle the issue.

Well consider that nuts, legumes and to a lesser extent fruits require far less resources to get the same amount. For example nuts are the less resource expensive food on earth. For square meter and for 100 times less water no food the provide a 500% more nutrient than meat. To produce a pound of meat it take 50 to 100 times more water and 70 times more room and 4 pounds of food. Actually 70% of all grains and in part soy goes to the feeding of animals for meat. So the issue of overproduction of grains is a direct consequence of the overproduction of meat.

Besides by decreasing grain and meat production (that go hand in hand) we would have far more resources to spread insecticides and pesticides free plants production. There are already a huge number of pesticides free cultivations but we can do better if more resources and room were saved.

Over a billion cattle populate the earth, with a combined weight greater than the entire human population. They are sustained unnaturally in these numbers to satisfy demand for their flesh. They are a primary cause for the destruction of the environment. Beef cattle return only 1 pound of meat for every 16 pounds of grain and soybeans they are fed, causing huge inefficiencies in food utilization, while millions of people go hungry.

The world's cattle alone (not including other livestock) consume food enough for 8.7 billion people. Over a hundred million of tons of grain go to animals while only 5 million tons of grain could adequately feed the 15 million children throughout the world who starve to death every year.

Just wanted to clarify that cattle raised for our consumption are eating far more grains than we are. The amount of grain fed to ONE cow before it is slaughtered, could sustain a person for a lifetime. The meat from that one cow cannot feed a person for more than a few days.