Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

do you think not eating meating has an effect on acne (positive or negative)?

Personally I didn't notice much change when I stopped eating meat over a year ago, but was wondering if any of you guys did.

I was vegetarian, basically vegan, for close to a year when my acne was at its worst. this is mainly due to my carb heavy vegetarian diet based around lots of grains, which I have found give me problems. My skin really cleared up once i started eating meat and cutting back on carbs. I personally feel so much better now than I did on my vegeatrian diet. I know some people do ell on a veggie diet but i need meat. I think a majority of people here will agree that adding in more meat actually improved their skin.

I'm another classic story of having acne worsened by vegetarianism. If I would not have become a vegetarian when I was 18 there is a good chance my teenage acne would not have progressed into adult acne. The problem with vegetarianism is not the vegetables, its the fact when you subtract meat from your nutritional sustenance you end up replacing it will a whole bunch of other stuff that is not as easily digestible for some people. In place of meat most vegetarians consume large amount of carbohydrates and protein from grains, beans, legumes, and nuts, all of which can increase acne in individuals who do not have the genetic means to metabolize those types of foods. Its all really individual. It takes patience to figure out the diet that works best. The only overarching dietary guidelines that help acne for all people is eating a diet based on organic whole foods. That may sound simple at first but its much more complex. You have to figure what whole foods work best as fuel for your individual body. Some do best on a low carb/high protein/high fat, while some function better an high carb/low protein/low fat diet, and some are in the middle somewhere. Both ends of the camp typically butt heads with each other, each claiming dietary superiority. The high carb/low fat/low protein guys are usually the most dogmatic in their beliefs, often resorting condemning the other side to a life plagued by heart disease, cancer and ill health. I don't give a shit what they say though, I eat tons of meat, fat, and low carb veggies, and I'm in the best health of my life because of it, and everyday I abstain from carbohydrates my skin gets clearer and clearer.

I have seen many healing their acne and getting beautiful skin with a vegetarian diet.

The point is that even a diet of margarine, french fries and ice cream is vegetarian per se.

A typical mistake people on vegetarian diets do is believing they can eat whatever they want without any sort of restrain. But it's actually easy to gain visceral fat on a vegetarian diet too and i general we modern people eat always more than what we really need even the skinny ones, their skinniness being a combination of untoned muscles and too much body fat in the wrong places.

Another typical mistake on vegetarian diets is to rely on pasta and bread. I have known vegetarians that just ate a big bowl of pasta for dinner. The most nutritional dense foods are dark greens, veggies, berries, cabbages and they should be the staples in a vegetarian diet, not pasta or bread.

It's the same concept of the Food Pyramid. The Food Pyramid is not perfect but it's a total lie that people are getting sick and fat because they're following the Food Pyramid because the truth is that they don't. Just like people have never followed a low fat diet. If we look at data from 1909 we can see that both calories and fat intake has increased not decreased. And so has sugar. While activity level has gone down. Likewise vegetarians are not getting pale or frail because they eat legumes, nuts or whole grains but because their diet sucks. It sucked before and when they switched to a vegetarian nutrition it keep sucking, just using different foods.

When you begin to base a vegetarian diet on meals like lentil soup and shredded cabbage salad, green smothies with berries, roasted peppers with toasted sesame seeds, steamed kale with cashew cream, spring greens in vinaigrette pine nuts and olives, asparagus cream on portobella mushrooms, avocado and cherry tomatoes, onion and spinach frittata, egg salad with grated carrots and crunchy sweet potatoes dice, hummus and quinoa or fruit salad with coconut cream ... things being to improve.

The most dogmatic in my opinion are the low-carb fanatics as in order to keep up their dogma they end up inventing sci-fi concepts and believing in them. Even many low-carbers themselves consider the dogmatic low-carbers the worst fanatics out there and they acknowledge that the myths and sci-fi of fanatical low-carbing are way worse than the flawed concepts of low-fat fanatics.

I always though chicken made me break out for some reason. Thighs & Breast. Any opinions on that?

The most dogmatic in my opinion are the low-carb fanatics as in order to keep up their dogma they end up inventing sci-fi concepts and believing in them. Even many low-carbers themselves consider the dogmatic low-carbers the worst fanatics out there and they acknowledge that the myths and sci-fi of fanatical low-carbing are way worse than the flawed concepts of low-fat fanatics.

No idea what you're talking about here. Care to enlighten me? Sci-fi concepts? I hope I've never introduced anybody to a sci-fi concept before.

I have seen many healing their acne and getting beautiful skin with a vegetarian diet.

The point is that even a diet of margarine, french fries and ice cream is vegetarian per se.

A typical mistake people on vegetarian diets do is believing they can eat whatever they want without any sort of restrain. But it's actually easy to gain visceral fat on a vegetarian diet too and i general we modern people eat always more than what we really need even the skinny ones, their skinniness being a combination of untoned muscles and too much body fat in the wrong places.

Another typical mistake on vegetarian diets is to rely on pasta and bread. I have known vegetarians that just ate a big bowl of pasta for dinner. The most nutritional dense foods are dark greens, veggies, berries, cabbages and they should be the staples in a vegetarian diet, not pasta or bread.

It's the same concept of the Food Pyramid. The Food Pyramid is not perfect but it's a total lie that people are getting sick and fat because they're following the Food Pyramid because the truth is that they don't. Just like people have never followed a low fat diet. If we look at data from 1909 we can see that both calories and fat intake has increased not decreased. And so has sugar. While activity level has gone down. Likewise vegetarians are not getting pale or frail because they eat legumes, nuts or whole grains but because their diet sucks. It sucked before and when they switched to a vegetarian nutrition it keep sucking, just using different foods.

When you begin to base a vegetarian diet on meals like lentil soup and shredded cabbage salad, green smothies with berries, roasted peppers with toasted sesame seeds, steamed kale with cashew cream, spring greens in vinaigrette pine nuts and olives, asparagus cream on portobella mushrooms, avocado and cherry tomatoes, onion and spinach frittata, egg salad with grated carrots and crunchy sweet potatoes dice, hummus and quinoa or fruit salad with coconut cream ... things being to improve.

No idea what you're talking about here. Care to enlighten me? Sci-fi concepts? I hope I've never introduced anybody to a sci-fi concept before.

Sorry break it to you, but you are simply wrong, vegetarianism is NOT beneficial or a functional/sustainable diet for everyone. I ate the "healthiest" vegetarian diet you can imagine, with minimal grains, and grew increasingly skinny, frail, lethargic, acne ridden, unable to gain weight, terrible allergies, digestive problems, the list goes on...

I've been vegetarian for 6 years and for the first 2 years I was vegetarian I never had acne, even though I ate wheat gluten in every meal, I ate a lot of bread and pasta. I don't think being vegetarian caused my acne, but who knows because I still don't eat meat.

It is interesting, because I've been vegetarian since I was in kindergarten and mostly vegan for 5 years and I definitely have bad skin. But after I get food allergy tested I may need to dramatically change my diet. oof the thought of eating meat gives me nightmares, but if I need it for my health and skin I would

I gave up all meat now for two years, I suppose I'm not a vegetarian because I eat plenty of fish...I am also on a low carb diet for the past three years now which has really helped my skin.

The only carbs I eat is rice (basmati or brown) nothing lse really because my stomach can't handle it due to previous eating disorders.

Anyway my diet consists of , lots of veg, fruit, rice, fish and salads and my skin is in great condition even though I still have acne (not as bad as years ago)...

I noticed a difference too when I gave up milk but I think I'm after giving up waaay too much at the moment.

That sounds like a great diet! Glad to hear that you keep rice! So many people quit rice, but I seriously doubt that it affects acne.....

Same with potatoes (which actually is a nutrient-powerhouse).

I gave up all meat now for two years, I suppose I'm not a vegetarian because I eat plenty of fish...I am also on a low carb diet for the past three years now which has really helped my skin.

The only carbs I eat is rice (basmati or brown) nothing lse really because my stomach can't handle it due to previous eating disorders.

Anyway my diet consists of , lots of veg, fruit, rice, fish and salads and my skin is in great condition even though I still have acne (not as bad as years ago)...

I noticed a difference too when I gave up milk but I think I'm after giving up waaay too much at the moment.

It is interesting, because I've been vegetarian since I was in kindergarten and mostly vegan for 5 years and I definitely have bad skin. But after I get food allergy tested I may need to dramatically change my diet. oof the thought of eating meat gives me nightmares, but if I need it for my health and skin I would

I think you just have to find out what is best for your body. I cured my acne by cutting out meat from my diet. I eat mostly vegetables and fruit. I use lots of real butter and olive oil when cooking meals. I don't eat much pasta but will sometimes add it to a salad. I eat 3-4 meals a day and have no problems with this diet. My acne is gone. :)

Being a vegetarian over a year, and i noticed a little break out, but i dont know if its linked to not eating meat

im allergic to shrimp and i think i might start eating fish for protein

LOTS OF TOFU!! beans, nuts, etc

I think that I'm probably the opposite of a vegetarian, and my skin thanks me for it. I love the vegetables you can eat on a vegetarian diet, but I wouldn't be able to rely on legumes, nuts, seeds, and grains for my protein, as those tend to give me digestive issues.

My diet right now is described in my sig but is mostly eggs/seafood/meat/fat/veggies.

That sounds like a great diet! Glad to hear that you keep rice! So many people quit rice, but I seriously doubt that it affects acne.....

Same with potatoes (which actually is a nutrient-powerhouse).

damn.. we actually have quite a few vegetarians here.

Like I said.. I don't think my acne really changed when I stopped eating meat, but even if it did I would not start eating meat again. I like animals too much.. I guess i'm just a pussy :lol:

Aww no ur not hahaha, it would feel so weird to eat mean again though wouldnt it??? i cannot imagine myself eating any meat ever , would be crazy!!