Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well as far as I know, Hard water means water straight from the underground water table... it has not been 'treated'....

and by the way, what I get at home is hard water... does not lather much.. has a salty taste to it... but somehow, in a weird way, it seems to be doing great things for my skin and hair...

Water described as "hard" means it is high in dissolved minerals, specifically calcium and magnesium. Hard water is not a health risk, but a nuisance because of its tendancy to cause mineral buildup in water pipe and heating systems, and its poor soap and/or detergent performance when compared with soft water.

Water is a good solvent and picks up impurities easily. When it combines with carbon dioxide in the air to form very weak carbonic acid, an even better solvent results.

As water moves through soil and rock, it dissolves very small amounts of minerals and holds them in solution. Calcium and magnesium dissolved in water are the two most common minerals that make water "hard." The degree of hardness becomes greater as the calcium and magnesium content increases.

Hard water is not a health risk...

That's an understatment. In fact, hard water is BENEFICIAL to your health, as a significant source of minerals (especially magnesium).

...but a nuisance because of its tendancy to cause mineral buildup in water pipe and heating systems, and its poor soap and/or detergent performance when compared with soft water.

It's definitely a problem for soap, but I believe (maybe I'm mistaken) that it presents no problem for detergents.

Hard water is water that is not distilled so it tends to contain lots of minerals. That's why its referred to as 'hard' water I suppose.

How do I get this hard water?

It largely depends on where you live. My grandparents live in New England, and their water is very soft. I live in Florida, though, and we have some of the hardest water in the country.

You honestly don't want hard water. It may not have any adverse health effects, but it can have awful effects on the skin. Cleansers don't lather very well in hard water, and they also don't rinse off easily. The leftover residue can cause dry skin, irritation for sensitive skin, and clogged pores. My mom has developed contact dermatitis since we moved to Florida, and for a long time I battled droves of clogged pores. (Luckily my regimen has prevented them from returning! :D )

Hard water can also have an effect on blood vessels. I've had broken capillaries around my nose for a few years now, and my dermatologist deduced that they were caused by our hard water.

You may not necessarily have these effects if you have hard water, but your risk definitely increases. So be careful.

I'm in NJ so I have "shit water"

That can't be good for the face AT ALL. its like washing with watery shit. :|

You honestly don't want hard water. It may not have any adverse health effects, but it can have awful effects on the skin. Cleansers don't lather very well in hard water, and they also don't rinse off easily....Hard water can also have an effect on blood vessels. I've had broken capillaries around my nose for a few years now, and my dermatologist deduced that they were caused by our hard water.

Again, I emphasize that drinking hard water promotes health, especially as far as the cardiovascular system is concerned (see the studies that were done years ago in Deaf Smith County in Texas, regarding calcium and magnesium levels in the local water). I suppose it's possible that using hard water to wash your face can be somewhat harmful because it forces you to scrub and rinse too hard to get the soap scum off and get rid of that "slippery" feeling, which then cause capillaries to be broken. But other than those specific problems with washing, hard water is good to have for your overall health! ;)

Again, I emphasize that drinking hard water promotes health, especially as far as the cardiovascular system is concerned (see the studies that were done years ago in Deaf Smith County in Texas, regarding calcium and magnesium levels in the local water). I suppose it's possible that using hard water to wash your face can be somewhat harmful because it forces you to scrub and rinse too hard to get the soap scum off and get rid of that "slippery" feeling, which then cause capillaries to be broken. But other than those specific problems with washing, hard water is good to have for your overall health! ;)

Oh yes, I completely agree with that! Don't get me wrong! :D I love drinking the tap water here because I know how beneficial it is, especially with the high calcium content. Unfortunately, the mineral buildup is god-awful for our pipes and appliances. :lol: And plus, hard water is just not as efficient as soft water. It is so hard to get anything clean using hard water, including your body. More soap and scrubbing are required because hard water just doesn't allow for much lather. You hit the nail on the head, Bryan: harsh scrubbing as a result of hard water causes irritation.

So in a nutshell, hard water has its many pros and cons, just like pretty much everything else in this world. ;)

When I lived in Arizona I LOVED drinking our tap water....it had a strangely addicting flavor....then when I moved to Delaware, I found that tap water lost its draw for me.

The difference? The water in our house here is super super filtered. Which is probably for the best, since Delaware IS the tumor that grew off of New Jersey's radioactive ass leakage. (Check out the cancer rates in DE...amazing)EDIT: Just looked it up...Delaware has the sixth highest cancer incidence rate in the US....Maine has the highest, oddly enough. NJ is right behind Delaware...but guess what state has the lowest cancer incidence rate??? ARIZONA. Hard water, FTW. No idea if it's connected, just throwin' it out there.

Arizona had lovely lovely hard water....delicious. Not even joking, I still love the stuff...whenever I go back to AZ I have a lovely moment drinking from the tap. Showering in the stuff is something else, though. I never feel clean.

Can't pay me to drink from the tap in DE. (Well...you can....but I won't enjoy it).