Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
broccolicat

EDIT - Tazorac back on Accutane soon

Hi Everybody,

I want to log my progress on a combination of Duac and Tazorac. I just started 2 1/2 weeks ago.

First a very brief history:

-Mild Acne started at age 12 (nothing serious).

Managed with OTC products

-Mild but more persistent manageable acne throughout junior high and high school.

Started BC at age 16. Also tried some prescription topicals (can't remember what)

-Moderate acne during first two years of college as an undergraduate.

Meds tried: benzamyacin, finacea, differin, retin-a micro, keflex, minocyclin, doxycyclin, tetracyclin, clindamyacin, spiro, and others.

-Severe cystic acne during 2nd-3rd year of college as an undergraduate (face, back, chest).

Two courses of accutane. I stayed clear for about 8 months the first time and acne got progressively worse again. Second course of accutane only kept me clear for about a month or two and the acne has been progressively getting worse since.

Since then (for the past 2 years) I have tried every single home remedy listed on this forum - I even got suckered into trying DIM.

Needless to say, I have pulled myself out of denial and have realized that I have a serious problem that I personally believe needs to be treated by a professional. I went to the derm approximately 2 1/2 weeks ago and she prescribed me Duac, Tazorac, and Bactrim. I am no longer taking Bactrim because i had a SEVERE adverse reaction three hours after taking it.

The condition of my skin when I went in:

-every single pore on my face clogged in some fashion

-forehead lots of milia and a few cysts

-cheeks lots of papules along my cheek bones

-chin a MESS - cysts, whiteheads, pustules, papules (I have stopped using flouride toothpaste because I feel this may be exacerbating this area due to the telltale acne fan pattern from the corners of my mouth down to my jawline.)

-Jaw line a few cysts

-overall I would classify my condition as moderate to severe

I was instructed to use the tazorac M, W, F at night and the Duac in the mornings. I believe that derms instruct us with good intentions but it is really our responsibility to tweak the regimen to our personal needs. I have found that I can only use the tazorac twice a week (M, Th). I use the duac the nights I'm not using tazorac and I also use the duac every morning.

The tazorac causes extreme peeling in the areas where I'm broken out the most and overall flaky skin elsewhere which is why I cut back. The peeling usually happens either the second or third day after I have used it.

I use aqua glycolic cleanser and face cream and I find this helps with the peeling. My derm said that it was fine and that I should continue using this product.

The first week was AWFUL. My face looked atrocious, little spots popping up, some weepy type acne popping up, and serious dryness. I was scared Sh*tless.

However, since I've cut back on the tazorac and upped the Duac I've found that things are looking up pretty fast. Less breakouts, evening of skin tone, and my pores are getting smaller.

I think this combination may really work for me if I'm patient.

Let me know if you have any questions.

:)

Good luck!

I actually heard once that almost

15% of humans end up having allergic

reactions to Bactrim..That's quite high, IMO.

It's been 3 1/2 weeks.

Some days I feel awful other days it's not so bad. It does take less time for each lesion to heal while using these two topical meds.

Each time I use the tazorac a layer of skin literally peels off each mark.

The tazorac definitely appears to be bringing up all sorts of junk. The things that are coming up are mostly underneath the skin... the best thing I can do is not pick and things get better a lot faster.

Although it looks like this may be a long healing process I can definitely see how this is going to work. I have hope that this is going to work, at least.

I go to the derm next Friday. I'm going to ask to be put on another antibiotic to speed up this initial purging process... or at least temper the purging process.

Right now my right cheek has a lot of underneath the skin hard bumps... a cluster of 6-8 I'd say. The other side has lots of scattered smaller bumps - all underneath the skin as well.

Each side of my chin has clusters of small to large bumps. I have a few bumps/pustules on either side of my forehead/temple areas.

As I use the tazorac everything seems to flatten out.

With some of the more weepy/pustule type lesions (which I have very few of... they seem to appear on my forehead) hibiclens antibiotic wash seems to really help those to heal very quickly.

It's all a learning process... I've had to tend to each area and each type of lesion differently. Sometimes I find if I spot treat the large under the skin bumps with the tazorac it helps them to clear a little faster.

Overall, I'm still using the tazorac 2-3 times a week at night with duac on the nights I don't use tazorac and duac every morning... spot treating with taz on the nights I don't apply all over my face (as I need it).

I think things are improving but again... I think it will be slow going... :pray:

I know I posted yesterday but earlier today the spots were really red and angry so I took some pics so I could document my progress... I hope this will help me to get through this a little easier. Like I said in a previous post... some days are worse than others. Today was a yucky day...

UGG!

The first one is the left side the second the right... Also my chin and jaw line areas are really bad but I couldn't get good pics... I'm using my blackberry...

Anyway, the spots you're seeing have not come up to the surface... they remain underneath the skin and as they go away leave fabulous red marks...

post-71913-1213477615_thumb.jpg

post-71913-1213477631_thumb.jpg

post-71913-1213477615_thumb.jpg

post-71913-1213477631_thumb.jpg

Posting again today.... today is a good day... My face doesn't look nearly as inflamed as it did yesterday.

I'm still getting new active spots...

Still today is a "I really think this stuff may work" day. I hate acne it's such a roller coaster ride.... I really think it's affected my entire system.... in terms of the stress it causes me. I think my whole body is outta whack from enduring all the the emotions. I'm so sick of it. It's been 14 years of this... about 6 years of severe acne...

I just want to wake up and not feel imprisoned by this disease for an extended period of time... The last two times I tried accutane I just knew somehow that it would all come back... and it has... Now I'm rambling. Sorry... I just hate it when people say "you look fine" or "it's not that bad"... I'm like I don't want to look "fine" I want to look hot and fabulous because that's who I really am underneath all of this mess... you know??? Not in an egotistical way either... just in an "I want to be joyful and enjoy my youth" way.

Ok I'm done. Have a good day everybody!! :pray::pray::pray::unsure:

So, I went to the dermatologist this morning and she said that because I wasn't improving at all that I should get on accutane. Unfortunately she doesn't prescribe that so I made an appointment with another dermatologist for about 1 1/2 weeks away. UGG!! At least I know the accutane will work temporarily and then I can get myself right on a maintenance program when I'm off the accutane. Anyway, I'm going to keep logging my progress with taz/duac until I get on the accutane.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Derm visit continued...

So, she gave me samples of Solydyn to try until I go to the appointment with the other dermatologist. She also said that because I'm going to the endocrinologist in a couple of weeks I should wait to hear what they have to say before I decide to take the accutane, or not.

I made the appointment with the new derm anyway to have my ducks in a row if I so choose to go back on accutane. It's just such a process for females it's annoying! That's the only thing that bugs me... it's every month - blood work - ipledge... bullshit.

UGG!!

So, anyway. I'm trying the solydyn and I'll see what happens. I'll let you know if anything miraculous occurs but I wouldn't hold your breath. :boohoo:

This is the first day in a while where I feel I'm seeing progress. Still a little bit of purging - if you want to call it that. Lots of peeling. I'm now trying to up the nights I use tazorac - peeling permitting. If the peeling is bad I take more time off. It's a pain in the butt but I manage it with aquaglycolic cleanser and cetaphil moisturizer. UGG...

I'm obviously keeping the appointment with the new derm just so I have a plan of attack. if I don't constantly have a strategy then I go crazy.... so we'll see what he says.

*Crossing Fingers*

I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Have a good day.

This is the first day in a while where I feel I'm seeing progress. Still a little bit of purging - if you want to call it that. Lots of peeling. I'm now trying to up the nights I use tazorac - peeling permitting. If the peeling is bad I take more time off. It's a pain in the butt but I manage it with aquaglycolic cleanser and cetaphil moisturizer. UGG...

I'm obviously keeping the appointment with the new derm just so I have a plan of attack. if I don't constantly have a strategy then I go crazy.... so we'll see what he says.

*Crossing Fingers*

Have a good day.

Have u ever tried to control your acne with a change in your diet?

*Crossing Fingers*

Have a good day.

Have u ever tried to control your acne with a change in your diet?

Yes. I eat pretty healthy anyway. However, a few months back I went to the allergist and eliminated everything. I was eating broccoli and chicken and olive oil and greens and all natural organic for a couple months straight with absolutely no change... i think i actually got worse and that's when I joined the this forum.... because that really pissed me off.

That's also how I got my name.... i was eating so much broccoli and my cat would always eat the remnants out of the bowl... hence "broccolicat".

Anyway...

I went to the new dermatologist yesterday. I will be back on accutane in a month... however I'm so very sneaky.

I found about 17 40mg pills left over from the last time I was on accutane. I am going to take one pill every other day until I go back for my official prescription. That should hold me over until I go back in a month.

Technically I'm supposed to continue what I have been doing with the tazorac and duac.... oh well. I'll use sparingly with the taz and probably keep up with the duac.

I CANNOT wait to see a difference. I think maybe my dermatologist in the past didn't do a high enough dose and that's why it keeps coming back.... who knows.

I feel like the taz is kinda working but there are SOOOOOOOO many bumps underneath my skin it's horrible... :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

i'm on duac and tazorac, in a very similar situation.

those red bumps... they aren't going to come out. they're going to gradually flatten and then fade away. if you're picking at them or squeezing them to try to get them out, then you're perpetuating the acne. you have to have a lot of patience and willpower to not mess with them over the next several months.

the peeling is most likely because of the duac, in addition to the tazorac. duac really dries out the skin (and tazorac for some reason dries out the area around the lips if applied there). the trick is to use them both extremely sparingly. if you can get a very thin layer over the entire affected area, that's better than spreading it on thick. you have to balance the drug with the irritation it causes, which is why using less is more effective than using a lot.

you're right in saying that you have to modify your dermatologist's advice to fit your condition, but up to a point. i wouldn't start taking old accutane tablets just to get a jump start on next month's treatment. that kind of impatience is what keeps people breaking out. if you think the tazorac is "kinda working," then it sounds like it is working. it just takes months to have a major effect. if you can stick it out and let your skin heal itself, you'll be a lot happier in a few months.

the tazorac has made my skin horrible and I don't think the duac is working. My skin is the worst it's looked in a long time and it is really starting to be extremely depressing.

I don't know what to do.... nothing works... i feel like a hideous mess.

Why is this happening? I've been on accutane twice... i just don't understand.

:cry:

My skin seriously looks horrible. My forehead, on a positive note, is clearing up... that probably won't last too long... this also coincides with me stopping the solodyn. UGG... I don't know. I can't figure out if anything is related to the medications I'm taking or what is going on. All I know is the left side of my face is appalling!!! There are probably about 50 or more bumps on my left cheek. I just don't understand. At my worst in the past I would have lots of large cysts but this is all new territory for me and I think it's a result of the tazorac.

However, the tazorac also seems to speed up the healing process... it's so awful. I can't figure this out. It's been almost two months, though and I have not seen any general improvement. It's not back to what my face looked like when I started using these meds... it's still worse.

So, I've been on tazorac for almost 3 months now. I can't believe I made it this far with the horrible side effects. I still have bumps all over my face underneath my skin. It's awful.

I start accutane (if the blood work pans out) this Friday. I CANNOT wait!!

I've been on accutane for about a week now. I'm still using tazorac on problem areas. This combination seems to be working MIRACLES in a very short period of time.

I'm still working towards understanding the root cause of this... but I'm so happy that I'm getting my life back in the meantime....

YAY.

Looking back at this thread... it started with duac and tazorac... I think the duac really made my skin drier/worse/and was the main cause of those weepy watery cyst like things I was getting. They started going away after I stopped using it.... just wanted to update on that.

:catdance::catdance::catdance::catdance::catdance::catdance:

I'm getting better every day! I <3 accutane.

I am trying to be positive in the moment and know that I will have to work out a maintenance regimen with my derm when this course is up. Who knows... maybe this will be the last time I need to take this shiznat.

:wiggle::catdance::wiggle:

^ I'm glad to hear your skin is improving. I'm sure you are feeling much better. I hope you continue to improve and let's hope the third time's the charm. :)

Acne is SO messed up. It's like as soon as it starts to get clear and manageable I feel like a COMPLETELY different person than I do compared to how I feel when I'm in full nasty breakout mode. My skin is looking great now (relatively speaking). I've only been on accutane for a month and it's just amazing how much it's already improved.

It's just so sad how much it impairs my daily functioning when it's bad. I wish it didn't have to be like this... like such a struggle/battle/lifelong war!!

I think I've finally come to terms with the fact that it's going to be a daily, lifelong battle, until who knows when...

All I know is I will never let it get back into cyst/pus/nastiness mode ever again... I'm going to be so vigilant about using the taz... which has been helping so much since i started the accutane. I know the difference because I've used accutane twice before without using a single other product except moisturizer during those last two courses.

So anyway... I just want to say I feel for all of you out there and it sucks and hurts and is so hard when your in the middle of it... but try to step outside of that space in your mind... because the anxiety and stress doesn't help you to heal physically...

that's my update.

^ I'm glad to hear your skin is improving. I'm sure you are feeling much better. I hope you continue to improve and let's hope the third time's the charm. :)