Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cymru

4 months post accutane. ugh..

So it's been four months (there or there about) since I last took accutane, and most of the common side effects have cleared up. Little to no red marks, no peely skin or lips and no more unbearable dehydration, whoopee!

Sounds good right? Wrong. While on accutane, I developed social anxiety as well as mild depression, something I'm still dealing with even now. In fact, I was advised by my dermatologist to come off the 'tane early because of how I felt. Now days, I have problems talking to even my best of friends, whereas before, you couldn't shut me up!

Theres no denying the drug works, but accutane can leave you permanent side effects. Side effects that can and in my case have, effect how you live. So be careful when choosing to go on a course of the stuff.

Now as promised, some before/after pictures:

Before 1.

Before 2.

After1.

After 2.

So it's been four months (there or there about) since I last took accutane, and most of the common side effects have cleared up. Little to no red marks, no peely skin or lips and no more unbearable dehydration, whoopee!

Sounds good right? Wrong. While on accutane, I developed social anxiety as well as mild depression, something I'm still dealing with even now. In fact, I was advised by my dermatologist to come off the 'tane early because of how I felt. Now days, I have problems talking to even my best of friends, whereas before, you couldn't shut me up!

Theres no denying the drug works, but accutane can leave you permanent side effects. Side effects that can and in my case have, effect how you live. So be careful when choosing to go on a course of the stuff.

Before 1.

Before 2.

After1.

After 2.

Like I said it's been 4 months for the red marks to clear, they're still not all gone.

And eurovision, if I could go back, I wouldn't go on the drug. If you choose to, just be careful and keep your parents and doctor updated at all times.

Thanks guys

Before 1.

Before 2.

After1.

After 2.

cymru what do u mean social anxiety...i think i have a form of social anxiety but that because im embarassed of my skin. i know that without the acne i would be fine...i actually just finished accutane and dont have acne anymore, just red marks...but thats what makes me embarassed...

is being really self consious a form of social anxiety? because if so it may not be the drug...hopefully its not

man AWESOME clearing! I can't stress that more, by your pictures it doesn't look like you even had acne!

I realise the side effect is pretty major time. Maybe there are ways to work on it by supplements, mental exercise and building confidence slowly. Just like it took time for your acne to clear it will take time for the side effects to also clear.

I was watching discovery channel today and a program was on about "superhumans". An american footballer had some sort of amnesia and lost all memory of his family and life. They showed his struggle and together with his family he overcame it and slowly began a fresh "second life". It was emotional at the same time as amazing!

Look at this positivelly, thats the only way your going to escape from this situation. Trust me mate your young and you have all to live for now! Go out and have fun, slowly but surely things will become better but just stay positive! Good luck you look good now and acne should be off your head, keep your regimen simple and your skin should hopefully remain like that!

really guys, thanks for the replys, its very encouraging.

jillie: by social anxiety, i mean that i feel that even when im around the closest of friends, id rather be at home on my own. i feel awkward, shy and quiet, whereas before, you couldnt shut me up. i only started feeling really withdrawn about 2 months into the course which is why im attributing how i feel to the 'tane.

sid: thanks for that dude, some great advice :)

Cymru,

It is scary to think about how powerful this drug is. I have a bit of a different story, but can relate to your concerns. I'm 26 and have a long established relationship with mental illness - I left school when I was very young and was hospitalized with severe depression. Ironically, at this point in my life I'd never really had a pimple. This remained the case until a few years ago when my skin became totally unfortunate.

I tried everything before making the decision to chance accutane, but finally it really was the only choice left for me. Despite having been blissfully stable and correctly medicated for years, I took the chance. It has now been three months and I'm having a few difficulties with my mood because of the accutane (my skin is amazing, of course).

This said, my decision to give it go (regardless of whether I last the course) isn't something I could possibly regret, because I know first hand that we all have the ability to heal and get better. I've been in trouble mentally enough times to tell you that you get through it. There are so many avenues for recovery. Social phobias and depression can be helped with therapy, exercise, meditation, and yes - sometimes medicine. So many possibilities!

The important thing is to keep monitoring your mood and remain hopeful - do what you need to do. You're very young and this is not a prediction for the rest of your life. I'm a pretty peaceful person nowadays, have a wonderful support network and an awesome and highly rewarding job.

The point of my big rant is - remember that you won't be suspended in this uncomfortable place forever.

X Ellie.

Hey Cymru,

Sorry to hear about the side effects that you are still dealing with from tane.. I was wondering tho.. when you said the unbearable dehydration is gone, was that from sweating profusely while on accutane? Cus recently I've been sweating A LOT more than I ever have while on tane and it's been causing me a lot of anxiety.. I wanted to know whether this is a temporary side effect or a permanent one.. :S

Before 1.

Before 2.

After1.

After 2.

why do people always do this. before accutane, the face is horrible and they feel terrible and begs to be on accutane cuz acne is ruining their lives. Then post accutane, they're skin are clear and perfect but then they complain about the side effects like how your social life has gone slightly down hill and your chemistry is off. shut up!!! atleast u have a social life. people can't be please i tell you. If your horrible aim to feel better. ANd if you feel better, u aim to feel great. You can't have it 100%. before people complain, weigh out your state of mind when your face was filled with volcanoes popping up every 24hours to now when your face is clear and your confidence is higher than ever and you feel great to interact with people without being shy and fearful. Its not like postaccutane is so horrible that u still want to wish you were never born like when your face were litter with pimples. I'm pro accutane, if your able to pass all those test inorder to be on the pills, then the side effects are more than worth the horrible feeling of a pizza face.

why do people always do this. before accutane, the face is horrible and they feel terrible and begs to be on accutane cuz acne is ruining their lives. Then post accutane, they're skin are clear and perfect but then they complain about the side effects like how your social life has gone slightly down hill and your chemistry is off. shut up!!! atleast u have a social life. people can't be please i tell you. If your horrible aim to feel better. ANd if you feel better, u aim to feel great. You can't have it 100%. before people complain, weigh out your state of mind when your face was filled with volcanoes popping up every 24hours to now when your face is clear and your confidence is higher than ever and you feel great to interact with people without being shy and fearful. Its not like postaccutane is so horrible that u still want to wish you were never born like when your face were litter with pimples. I'm pro accutane, if your able to pass all those test inorder to be on the pills, then the side effects are more than worth the horrible feeling of a pizza face.

i dont see why you would have that your skin looks good maybe its just in your head idk ? but you sould nt have that forever im sure it will go away its only been four months i would give it at least a year but i think your going to be fine :]

omg lol, accutane is fuckin awesome. I was depressed and anti social when i had tonnes of acne on my face, now that I'm all clear I've become alot more social.

I'm not ignorant of the statistics of those that are seriously harmed by the accutane. But in "general" most people have responded well to the accutane otherwise it won't be on the market. You're combining the small % of those that had serious side effects to what im saying.

I mean lets make a poll. Users of accutane can decide whether if they had known of their syptoms, would they had gone on accutane?

I have "had" and "am" on this pill right now. I'm on my 2nd course. Acne don't go away for people, it remains with their lives forever, so if you think most people would rather live with acne and have little or no self confidence, where would their lives be without tane to give them back their confidence. Sure side effects occur in all medicine, thats why you have ipledge and blood tests to screen and protect you from serious harm. I'm sorry, but even after reading all your complaing posts about the side effects, I still don't see how your post accutane life is far worst then your pre accutane life.

People often don't get side effects for quite some time after they have taken it, sometimes not even connecting their condition to the drug. It is proven and that is all i'm going to say (look on pubmed).

There's no doubt in my mind that Accutane can cause depression, social anxiety, and other effects that can possibly be long-term. I've been on the drug twice and am currently on my third course. Luckily I've never suffered anything more than just physical side effects like itchiness, rashes, dry lips, etc. I believe that some people respond more differently to the drug than others. That's why you HAVE to think carefully before going on the drug. You gotta weigh the risks with the benefits and make your decision. It's a tough call.... and I truly feel for all those who suffer these types of internal effects. I have no idea how hard it must be to deal with.