Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ogskillzalot

(Accutane users) how do i deal with joint pain

I want to do track again next year, but my joints seem to hurt after a little bit of rough housing and strenuous running so I'm asking has anyone had any joint pain while on accutane and how did you deal with it?

also is there a way to not have them???

I don't know how far along on accutane you are, but my joint pain started fading after month 2. I always tried to drink a lot of water when I felt the pain and that helped me. Also, your body might adjust, I have maintained the same amount of physical activity (I am a waitress) and even took a kickboxing class without any pain after month 2. Good luck!

When I first started, I noticed my back and my knees would hurt after I bent down.

Not sure when, but I just noticed after a while it went away. So yeah, 2 months in sounds about right.

I think ibuprofen or just Tylenol should do the trick for the time being. You should really talk about this with your doctor though

i still get joint pain occasionally in the morning when i wake up, even months after finishing the course. i'm not sure what the triggers are but i've noticed that i usually get it when i wake up in a cold morning, when i wake up with a strong urge to void (sometimes due to not responding to urinary urgency for a long time before going to bed), and i ate a lot of protein the day before.

i try to prevent it by taking 1-2 pills of MSM with glucosamine on a day (i don't regularly take it though simply because i take other vitamins and i'm not sure of the drug interactions between them, and because i seldom get joint aches this spring), by responding immediately to urinary urgency, and by limiting my protein intake.

thanks all I am two months in though but i do a great deal of running and plan on increasing this summer soo... i guess ill just have to fight throught the pain untill it leaves

thanks though

Hi all,

I have researched on and read about the side effects of accutane, and its been a very hard decision to reach due to all the bad things I have heard about accutane over the years. But I have tried numerous over the counter treatments, tried antibiotics which worked, but as soon as I stopped it, my acne came back. I think I have to get on the accutane, cos I have had severe cystic acne for the past 8 to 9 years. I am not really worried about the side effect of headache, nausea, vomiting, and dry lips, but I am highly afraid of the side effects of stroke, seizures, and joint/muscle pain, especially the stroke and seizures. Are they really common side effects, or is it one of those that is seen in only less than 1% of the people who take it? For those who have completed the accutane course, can you please tell me all the side effects that you experienced? Also, I know that it can cause birth defects. I am not planning on getting pregnant for the next few years, but will taking accutane now affect any future pregnancy a few years from now?