Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stararies

Does Proactiv Really Work - Yes/No?

Hi All,

Ok, I am in my late 30's and have been getting acne from about the age of 11/12. Like many others here I have tried just about everything from over the counter products to roaccutane. Roaccutane worked brilliantly in my early 20's but not so well in my late 20's. It also gave me severely dry skin, low moods, aching bones, etc. So I don't really won't to go back on it.

I have been watching the Proactiv commercials and am getting closer and closer to ordering it. So far I have resisted buying it because I hate that it is so expensive and I am naturally skeptical. But I look at some of the before and after photos and you can see major results.

My face is just a mess at the moment and BP is just making it red and super dry.

Has anyone actually had good results from using Proactiv? And do you have to continue using it indefinately or only for a short period?

Well if you say that BP is making you red and super dry then Proactiv might not work very good for you because it's main ingredient is BP. But if you want to try it anyways but don't want to order or spend the extra money, a friend of mine used the cleanser from Proactiv and then couldn't order it anymore because of money issues so she bought the Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask (and used it mainly as a cleanser) and said it works exactly the same!...so you could try that! It got really good reviews on makeupalley.com too :)

I had some outbreaks, and still do when I use the Proactiv stuff. I meant my acne sort of stayed the same the whole time, which sucks because the Proactiv didn't do anything.

Hey Stararies

I recently ran out of DKR supplies, so I had to use some of my old Proactiv stuff. I was AMAZED to find that if you just use a basic mild cleanser (cetaphil or something will work) with the Proactiv repairing lotion you will have awesome results. I'm actually going to experiment using just the repairing lotion, because I did that all this week and my skin is not only 100% clear, but nicely toned. Good luck!

The people in proactive look amazing because of Make-up and photoshop ;)

Before=Actual pic

After= Photoshop and makeup :)

Proactiv can actually work for people because there is a science behind it. First, you wash your face to remove dead skin on the outer surface. Next you use a gylcolic acid toner to remove any dirt left behind and to help fade redmarks and open pores. Next you disinfect with the bp. It not only makes sense but it can work too...

To Whale

Ummmm I'm NOT in cohorts with PA products lol. If that's what your trying to say - by not ACTUALLY coming out and saying it!

I actually suffer from chronic insomnia and am usually awake when those stupid infomercials are on. And because of my acne, which I have had for over 20 years, I sometimes am sucked into the PA ads. I want so much to believe that something, ANYTHING will work! And as I said I'd rather not go on roaccutane for a third time. (But it looks like I will have to anyway, I have a couple of major cysts on my chin right now).

I just wanted to get some feedback on the stuff BEFORE I shell out my money, etc.

To KohKane

Ummmm yeah, duh! I know, I know lol. And usually I wouldn't fall for the before and after pics. But ONE thing seems to be common amongst the after pics - their complexion looks clear, smooth and has an olive texture. Even the people with very fair skin look olive (tanned). And yeah I thought it MUST be makeup but it doesn't look cakey or thick. It looks like their skin has changed it's texture. As I've already stated I am skeptical when it comes to infomercials, etc. But their skin, even on their backs, looks so healthy. This is the thing that sucks me in the most. I have always had ruddy, red, flushed skin, red cheeks, uneven skintone and the acne. I have worn heavy makeup for years. And part of me just wants to believe that my skin could look like that too.

Like alot of people I am just clutching at straws because I am sick to death of this bloody plague called acne.

To KohKane

Ummmm yeah, duh! I know, I know lol. And usually I wouldn't fall for the before and after pics. But ONE thing seems to be common amongst the after pics - their complexion looks clear, smooth and has an olive texture. Even the people with very fair skin look olive (tanned). And yeah I thought it MUST be makeup but it doesn't look cakey or thick. It looks like their skin has changed it's texture. As I've already stated I am skeptical when it comes to infomercials, etc. But their skin, even on their backs, looks so healthy. This is the thing that sucks me in the most. I have always had ruddy, red, flushed skin, red cheeks, uneven skintone and the acne. I have worn heavy makeup for years. And part of me just wants to believe that my skin could look like that too.

Like alot of people I am just clutching at straws because I am sick to death of this bloody plague called acne.

To Whale

Ummmm I'm NOT in cohorts with PA products lol. If that's what your trying to say - by not ACTUALLY coming out and saying it!

I actually suffer from chronic insomnia and am usually awake when those stupid infomercials are on. And because of my acne, which I have had for over 20 years, I sometimes am sucked into the PA ads. I want so much to believe that something, ANYTHING will work! And as I said I'd rather not go on roaccutane for a third time. (But it looks like I will have to anyway, I have a couple of major cysts on my chin right now).

I just wanted to get some feedback on the stuff BEFORE I shell out my money, etc.

Well, I've never tried Proactive but when I was deciding between proactive & Acnefree (I choose acnefree because i could just grab it at walmart and the reviews were great :surprised:) Some of the reviews on proactive were eh. Some people noticed AMAZING results some didn't. So its your decision if you want to try it or not :) I say go for it and if it doesn't work for you..pass the proactive on to someone else :)

To Whale
Never said you were, sorry if you took it that way. I tried it once and for ME the BS meter rang true. Very irritating and drying in my case. But your skin might take to it better.

I think acnefree is a little strong, proactive seemed to work okay. depends on the person. I think acnefree has more bp in it.

I've used proactiv and really liked it. My acne has gotten worse (not b/c of the proactiv) so I've now moved on to the derm Prescriptions. I occasionally use the proactiv as a cleanser, but the toner dries me out (I think b/c im using topics as well...)

All in all I would give pro activ a shot. If you dont like it, atleast you've tried it.

I just returned my five step Proactiv kit a few weeks ago after 5-6 weeks of use and switched to the DKR. I found the Proactiv cleanser to be very irritating, as well as the toner. Their BP was pretty good though. The moisturizer didn't do much to control the flakes I got from the BP. Apparently, their green tea moisturizer is much better the their regular moisturizer with SPF 15. Apparently, they have a "sensitive" kit as well which utilizes salicylic acid instead of BP, but I know for a fact that won't do a thing for my acne. So, after 5-6 weeks on Proactiv, I realized that I'd be better off with something like the regimen and I switched to that. I can't say I'm clear, as I still get break-outs on my chin, but I really think that the only thing that will nip that for me is BCP and spiro (which I can't take at the time.) Such is life. :roll:

From my experience with proactiv i was just like you, I was sucked in from the infomercial and deperately wanted clear skin at the age of 14/15. My mother decided to get it for me and my sister. Since I had really bad acne and even scarring I tried the proactiv anyways. It worked for a few days. The cleanser was an exfoliating cleanser so it okay, not all that great. after using the cleanser, I felt okay. But when it came to the toner it was an experience I would not want to go back to. The toner was fine for 2 days on my face but then I started getting burning sensations all over my face. The toner also made my face itch really bad and I felt that someone was stripping my face or sandpaper was being rubbed on it back an forth.Whent hat happened I had to dodge my face into a bath of cold water because it was horrible. So i could'nt use it anymore. My sister did'nt experience what i did and it also did'nt work on her face. Well I decided maybe i was'nt using it right so after that incident i gave my skin a few months to try it. Again, I tried it and got the same results from t he first incident. So i don't use it anymore I have no use for it, Proactiv is very expensive and I've done a lot of readings on it form other people who used it and many of them have said ( on you tube and product reviews from other websites I've explored) said that it didn't work for them at all.

I hope this has helped. Proactiv is definently not for everyone.

From my experience with proactiv i was just like you, I was sucked in from the infomercial and deperately wanted clear skin at the age of 14/15. My mother decided to get it for me and my sister. Since I had really bad acne and even scarring I tried the proactiv anyways. It worked for a few days. The cleanser was an exfoliating cleanser so it okay, not all that great. after using the cleanser, I felt okay. But when it came to the toner it was an experience I would not want to go back to. The toner was fine for 2 days on my face but then I started getting burning sensations all over my face. The toner also made my face itch really bad and I felt that someone was stripping my face or sandpaper was being rubbed on it back an forth.Whent hat happened I had to dodge my face into a bath of cold water because it was horrible. So i could'nt use it anymore. My sister did'nt experience what i did and it also did'nt work on her face. Well I decided maybe i was'nt using it right so after that incident i gave my skin a few months to try it. Again, I tried it and got the same results from t he first incident. So i don't use it anymore I have no use for it, Proactiv is very expensive and I've done a lot of readings on it form other people who used it and many of them have said ( on you tube and product reviews from other websites I've explored) said that it didn't work for them at all.

I hope this has helped. Proactiv is definently not for everyone.

same here was young and desperate my mom got it for me. It did nothing for me except cause me to be really itchy. I used it for 3 months but saw absolutely no improvement.