Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok well my father had acne when he was younger but my mother never had any at all. However, I rarely talk to my father so that leaves me with my mother.....

She is really ignorant about acne and at any opportunity blames myself for the condition.

For example, just 20mins ago I was eating some FRESH organic cashews I bought myself (I eat healthier now, thanks acne :rolleyes: ) unsalted and unroasted. Then she saw me and was like "nuts is an allergen and that is what is probably causing your acne, look at your face it looks like a farm with all those potholes." Um.... self esteem killer.... and even worse is that i really don't have alot of scars/holes but more of the red marks left behind that look like scars thing going on.

Even worse, when i brought up the idea that too much dairy may be causing my acne she laughed in my face....when i know for a fact that whenever I drink milk (i need a quick source of protein for my weightlifting) I have a breakout soon after (I have now stopped drinking milk completely).

Also like any other clear person... any product she uses for her skin she tells me to use when it obviously would never work. For example, she used this lightening cream for red marks she brought home from a dermatologist she went to and got some for me to use on acne..... and I used it and it rarely faded my red marks but it faded her red marks from some skin mole removal or some shit she had...... but she still is telling me to continue using it like it is "THE" product.

Ummmm what do I do?....at least she lets me go to a top ranked dermatologist on my own since I persisted on going to him :boohoo:

That's how it was with me. My father had really bad acne when he was younger but I don't talk to him. And my mom never had a zit in her life and she would always tell me to scrub hard and stop eating certain foods. :rolleyes: I kept telling her Accutane was the only thing and she said it's not going to do anything. So after Accutane and a few months later with some stuff on my own, my skin is acne free with some red marks so now she doesn't just say "no" to anything I say about acne. She even tells me sister to come to me for skin advice, lol.

To this day my dad and sister think "detox", herbal teas or other herbs or pastes, and a lot of organic food as well as soy or even rice milk will get rid of ugly scars. I don't want to be closed minded but there just is not a lot of scientific evidence for those things. As for my bro he thinks lots of cardiovascular exercise will do the trick. None of those pointers ever worked for me even when I was pimply. They're even less likely to do anything for scarring issues.

Dunno...everyone who does not suffer from skin probs has their own theories on why they don't and you do.

Tell her something like this, "Hey mom, do you have acne? Are you a proffesional? Can you tell me the scientific name for acne? Do you know how i feel? How do you think it makes me feel when you scrutinize me so? Did you know that everyones skin reacts differently to creams and different foods?

Also its good that you can go to the derm without your mom there, he'll/she'll understand exactly what you need and not what she's/he's seen on an advert or something. And how is skin lightening cream going to help acne lol? Good luck with your derm ect :)

So after Accutane and a few months later with some stuff on my own, my skin is acne free with some red marks so now she doesn't just say "no" to anything I say about acne. She even tells me sister to come to me for skin advice, lol.

Thanks blackskies and everyone, I tried that today and she sorta gave me a sympathy speech and said i should relay the info back to my dermatologist as if she was supporting my theories on why i have acne. I made a followup appointment with my derma and I am hoping things get better. They are already getting better though! so i am hoping for the best.

P.S. My acne gets better during the summer months for some reason. Anybody else?

I think it is the sun, lack of stress, and more hours of sleep hmmmmm..

I know what you mean. My mom has perfect skin and while she never said intentionally hurtful things about my skin, she gave me a lot of bad advice. Once she told me to use this really harsh body scrub on my face, and the next day I literally had patches of skin that were torn off, it was awful. I also wish that she took me to a derm when I was younger. Once she went to get a mole removed, so the derm prescribed me retin-a because I was there anyway, but we never did a follow up appointment and we never filled the prescription. But whatever, I think its hard for someone who has always been acne-free to understand.

i hate it when parents do that, and the ones that have it just seem to want to block the memory of having it or what not.. like my dad...:D o well, hes still a great guy

Thanks blackskies and everyone, I tried that today and she sorta gave me a sympathy speech and said i should relay the info back to my dermatologist as if she was supporting my theories on why i have acne. I made a followup appointment with my derma and I am hoping things get better. They are already getting better though! so i am hoping for the best.

P.S. My acne gets better during the summer months for some reason. Anybody else?

I think it is the sun, lack of stress, and more hours of sleep hmmmmm..

I feel mine's better in winter when I don't get as sweaty. I hate sweating. Although I do have to worry about dry skin in the cold. If I use SA it can also get cracked and painful :(

My parents always blamed what I ate. Like... you are drinking so much soda (not true because even when i had no soda for a month or two at a time i still had same crap skin)... or they would say you need to stop eating all that candy... i never ate a lot of candy or chocolate. As a matter of fact chocolate makes me feel sick if i eat any more than a little bit and thats only once in a while... once a month i may have a candy bar... but to them, its like they magnify whatever they think is wrong and blow that out of proportion.

I was like well, how come when i was in rehab and had no sugar or caffeine my skin still looked like crap? No answer to that one.

I always hated when they would point out something on my face as if i didnt already feel like crap... and they've made me feel like less than nothing since i was younger and never took me to a derm til i was 20 (about 3 times)... and it just got worse from there really. I still fight with acne and my esteem is low but they blame my fiance for my low self esteem. Funny, he is the only person to tell me over and over how beautiful he thinks i am... i dont know how my dad can be as rediculous to tell anyone that hes got my self esteem down to the ground. he just doesnt like him.

I dont think my parents ever had acne... i mean my mom gets a zit here and there and it lasts for months and she is 66 now... thats odd eh? I just wish they didnt put me down so much cause i have a hard time as it is looking people in the eye cause i feel so gross.

sorry for ranting