Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sure everyone has felt like this before, and I'm really not even sure where to start. Since you all are here, you must, like me, have acne, and you must, like me want to get rid of it. I have questions that I want true answers to, and I'm not sure if they are stupid questions, or basic or whatever. I was hoping that you all might have some answers for me regarding these. I know everyone's skin is different, but if you guys have any insightful information or advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First question: Does diet affect acne or not???

I have heard it all here. My very own doctor told me that diet and acne are NOT related, but water is good for the skin overall. Yet, I have read plenty of things online where people swear that diet affects acne. It makes sense, but I don't even know what to believe anymore. I eat healthy for the most part, trying to eat fruits and vegetables. But I am not on any strict diet. I drink a lot of water, usually have a sandwich and an apple or banana, and carrots for lunch. I drink V8 which claims to contain green, orange, and red vegetables. (I only started this recently, however). I eat captain crunch for breakfast, which yeah, contains a lot of sugar. Also, I occasionally eat junk like everyone else my age. (I'm 19 by the way). I'm rambling a lot here but I just wanted to give you guys a feel for what my diet is like. When I say junk, I mean: popcorn, ice cream, etc. Things of that nature...BUT only sometimes, of course. I eat meat, and starchy things. Basically, I'm wondering what your take is on this. I don't know which is true, and people tell me different things all the time. I know everyone is different, but general concencus? Oh yeah, I go on daily walks too. So I guess that counts for exercise.

Second question: Sun vs. no sun?

The sun is good for your skin because it provides the skin with vitamin D and unprotected exposure kills acne bacteria. A friend of mine told me he spent some time camping in the summer and was away from civilization basically, walked around, sweated a lot, and didn't wash his face. He said he didn't break out at all...he claims it's because of the sun. He's pretty clear though, compared to me anyway.

Then, there's the people who say you MUST wear SPF every day even in the winter or on cloudy days to protect your face from the sun.

Third question: Moisture vs no moisture.

So I've had acne since I was in middle school, and it's ranged from being on my forehead and my chin, to my cheeks and jawline (where it currently is). My sister, who is about to enter high school is clear. (NOT FAIR). But anyway, upon shopping with her, I mentioned I needed to buy a moisturizer. She said don't do that...it makes your face oily. She doesn't use one. But on the other hand, I hear moisturization is necessary because if you don't moisturize your skin will produce too much oil and clog the pores...blah blah blah. I've done BOTH. Tried not moisturizing and not moisturizing and I've never been completely clear. It's frustrating. So what the hell am I supposed to do?

Fourth question: Exfoliate or no?

Exfoliation is necessary to get rid of dead skin cells that may clog pores. I've heard one must exfoliate every day, because it's necessary...and I've heard only once a week because it can be too harsh on the skin, and I've heard it's bad. I tried "Clean and Clear Morning Burst" in the mornings and cetaphil at night. Then when I heard exfoliating every day was "too harsh", I stopped with the morning burst and used only cetaphil, day and night.

Some other information for you guys on what I've tried:

When I went to the dermatologist in High School, I tried a few different pills, don't remember the names but one of them is minocyclene, which I'm sure you're all familiar with. I tried differen. Currently, as far as pills go, I am on the pill (birth control). My mom said a girl she knows went on the pill and her skin cleared up extremely fast. I've been on it for over a year and it hasn't done anything sensational for my skin. Blah.

I have also tried a variety of store products. I don't even feel the need to list them all off because you guys know what's out there. I've also tried AcneFree.

I've also tried household products: Apple Cider Vinegar, which I've started back up recently...it makes my skin feel nice I guess, maybe I have to stick with it. I've tried honey masks, egg-white masks, mint julup clay mask, baking soda scrub. Many of these things I've done have made my skin soft and smooth and feel nice, but nothing has cleared me up.

Did I mention I drink a lot of water too?

Things I have NOT tried and things I do that may have affected my skin: I have not tried ProActive, or Accutane. Don't want to. I feel both would be a waste of money, and besides, I shoudln't take Accutane because there is a history of anxiety disorders in my family. So basically, I'm not messing with that.

Main problem: I pick at my face.

As much as I hate to admit it, I do have the tendency to touch spots and pick at them. I know this is bad. I have tried to stop...but I feel like it isn't the only thing contributing to my acne.

I also wear make up...but it's to cover the damn red spots on my face. I forgot to mention I also have nasty redmarks...and they are really red when I first wash my face. I hate them. In addition to my red marks I have sometimes have inflamed spots and whiteheads, and larger pores. As for my make-up, I almost always use brands that are oil-free, and currently I'm using only a powder that claims to be "Mineral Powder" and is Talc free. I wash the brush every few days.

I've already tried not wearing make up for like a week to see if that did anything, but those gross red marks remained. So I went back to the make-up. I've ALSO tried the "put nothing on your face but water" method for about a week or two...didn't help much for those pesky redmarks.

Basically, I'm looking for any advice you guys may have for me. It seems to me like overall I'm being good to my skin. I mean, I witness people all the time with perfect, flawless, gorgeous skin who eat shit all the time, stay up all night and party, don't wash their face very often and are jsut generally not as dedicated as I, and many of you, are. I'm wondering if you guys have any idea for a regimen for me.

I know you guys have heard it all before, and I appreciate you reading this and any advice you may have for me would be greatly appreciated. I hope we can "clear up" some of the misunderstandings I have about acne. MEH.

Dude spend about 30 minutes reading my patented and proved Acne-Free thread in the Personal Logs section. It has helped hundreds of members here in the past and is the only source you need to understand what acne is and how to destroy it once and for all!

EDIT:

And before everyone sips on their Haterade and starts talking back to the great one it is funny how I was destined to have acne and scars everywhere but used my regimen and I am free at last without:

-doctor's visit

-accutane

-ridiculous diets (well maybe hehe)

-crazy creams

-crazy bathroom rituals

Mind over matter - MOM!

From my personal experience and research:

1. Diet can manipulate your acne. Depending on your deficiency's, metabolism, bodily requirements a custom diet for you needs to be found (trial and error, research). Certain vitamins can alter the way oil and sebum is excereted through your glands which can be a major influence on your acne. Diet all in all is an important factor in preventing acne, do not overlook it. It is the only thing that I believe can actually address acne internally, as acne is caused in the main by two things: hormonal inbalance, increased sebum production (both leading to further bacterial infection). Apart from genetics which you cannot do anything about unless you wait your age to grow out of it, diet is the only other thing that can address this.

2. Sun is vital. If you get your normal amounts of sun by this I mean walking to and from your house to wherever your going, when driving or just enjoying short walks, the sun will do little harm (and infact benefit). Excessive exposture such as working in a trade which requires to be outdoor constantly, sun tanning etc can be dangerous and sun protection is important. Sun can help acne as it helps the skin PH level balance, together with fresh air provides oxygen, also provides vitamin D and other beneficial nutrients and also enhances the natural mood of a person which all in all can decrease stress (a major factor of acne). Depending on your skin type the degree of sunscreen to be used varies (with light skin skin Type I requiring much more protection in comparison to Dark Skin Skin Type VI requiring little to no additional sun protection). Also other factors such as hyperpigmentation may mean sunc protection should always be used or the sun avoided as much as possible until the condition normalises. All in all the sun is healthy and in moderation very beneficial, keep enjoying it!

3. For dry skin moisturing is beneficial with a non comodegenic (non pore clogging) moisturiser (I can personally recommend jojoba oil, check the reviews for more info). If you have acne with dry skin, most likely you suffer hormonal acne else the contrary. If you have oily skin it would be best to address the problem internally which may not even require you to moisturise at all. Jojoba oil works great for both dry skin and oily skin (no more than 2-3 drops at a time from my experience). For dry skin it doesnt clog pores aswell as provides good moisture levels. For oily skin it basically mimicks the natural sebum (the way it is composed, read more about this) so prevents excess sebum being produced by your body. As you suffer from oily skin I would try and address it internally (with a balanced diet, decreased consumption of fatty and oily foods, and the use of Vitamin, especially Vitamin B5 which has been proven to be effective). If you are able to control your oil level and normalise it by using these methods you will not even require to moisturise!

4. Exfoliating is vital to not only prevent pores from clogging but to allow your skin to renew itself at a steady pace and give you a healthy look (most acne free people do this). More importantly than how many times you should exfoliate it depends on the way you exfoliate. It is best to use non comodegenic exfoliants when doing so with acne prone skin as most can infact clog pores (quite the opposite of what you expect it to be doing, i know). Using a chemical peel to simply hvaing a hot shower are methods of exfoilating. However if you have peels its best to not do them more than once or twice a week (depends on the peel). I currently use a retinoid cream called Retin A daily hence I dont use any additional exfoliants. Peeled skin generally washes away when I have a shower. I would recommend a retinoid as it can address both your acne problem and exfoliate your skin also helping to even the complexion! Remember though be gentle when you exfoliate, being aggressive WONT speed things up, your skin can only renew at a set pace!

Final words picking is acceptable in certain circumstances. I do not like the term picking however, seems like something a careless person would do. You can extract your pimples only if they are the visble whitehead types which have raised out of the pore. These most likely will not cause scarring or pigmentation and in most circumstances may even slough off themselves. For deeper/infected pimples dont bother just wait it until they form a head (wont happen overnight just bare the few days). Bumps under skin also wait it out normally can take upto 2 weeks to settle. Just let them be, who cares about the person in the train looking at you, the truth is he maybe looking at the banner above your head, if you pick at one of them be sure he/she will be looking at it next time when it looks like battlefield! My advice let the skin naturally heal (from personal experience) as it will prevent scarring and left over pigmentary mark, in my opinion a worse thing to have as they take FAR longer to go!

I have written enough, hope this helped! good luck!

2. Sun is vital. If you get your normal amounts of sun by this I mean walking to and from your house to wherever your going, when driving or just enjoying short walks, the sun will do little harm (and infact benefit). Excessive exposture such as working in a trade which requires to be outdoor constantly, sun tanning etc can be dangerous and sun protection is important. Sun can help acne as it helps the skin PH level balance, together with fresh air provides oxygen, also provides vitamin D and other beneficial nutrients and also enhances the natural mood of a person which all in all can decrease stress (a major factor of acne). Depending on your skin type the degree of sunscreen to be used varies (with light skin skin Type I requiring much more protection in comparison to Dark Skin Skin Type VI requiring little to no additional sun protection). Also other factors such as hyperpigmentation may mean sunc protection should always be used or the sun avoided as much as possible until the condition normalises. All in all the sun is healthy and in moderation very beneficial, keep enjoying it!

First question: Does diet affect acne or not???

I have heard it all here. My very own doctor told me that diet and acne are NOT related, but water is good for the skin overall. Yet, I have read plenty of things online where people swear that diet affects acne. It makes sense, but I don't even know what to believe anymore. I eat healthy for the most part, trying to eat fruits and vegetables. But I am not on any strict diet. I drink a lot of water, usually have a sandwich and an apple or banana, and carrots for lunch. I drink V8 which claims to contain green, orange, and red vegetables. (I only started this recently, however). I eat captain crunch for breakfast, which yeah, contains a lot of sugar. Also, I occasionally eat junk like everyone else my age. (I'm 19 by the way). I'm rambling a lot here but I just wanted to give you guys a feel for what my diet is like. When I say junk, I mean: popcorn, ice cream, etc. Things of that nature...BUT only sometimes, of course. I eat meat, and starchy things. Basically, I'm wondering what your take is on this. I don't know which is true, and people tell me different things all the time. I know everyone is different, but general concencus? Oh yeah, I go on daily walks too. So I guess that counts for exercise.

Actually, daily activity like walking to and from your house is definitely not enough sun exposure. Vitamin D deficiency is extremely common, and the only way to reverse it is to work your way up to about 30 minutes of unprotected sun exposure with at least 40% of your skin exposed (wear a tee-shirt, tank top, shorts, etc) when the sun is still strong.

I hate to hijack this thread but, could somebody post a legitimate link to something about the half an hour of sun a day thing?

personally i love the sun, but due to the anti-sun propaganda thats everywhere for the most part always use sunblock.

a google search, of course, only gave me a bunch of anti-sun links.

thanks!

1. Yes, effect depends on what type you have, but it wont hurt.

2. Depends on your skin color, what/if OTCs or meds you take. But, yes, people need sunlight to be healthy, amount depends on your skin color to get the right amount of vitamin D.

3. I dont use BP anymore b/c it dries me out(and I dont need it), just SA and antibiotics. I just let my skin reg. It's own moisture level. I have found, for me, its best not to f*ck with it.

4. yes, if you have no active acne. It will make it worse IMO. After I stopped getting any active ones(just come clogged pores that got a little inflamed) I used this aprocot scrub stuff and it works well. I just use 2-3 SAs after b/c the some have said that the particles tear your skin a little. The combo of SA(Equate), Amox(antibiotic) and the scrub works well.

I hate to hijack this thread but, could somebody post a legitimate link to something about the half an hour of sun a day thing?

personally i love the sun, but due to the anti-sun propaganda thats everywhere for the most part always use sunblock.

a google search, of course, only gave me a bunch of anti-sun links.

thanks!

Why is everyone hating on cereal? Besides the sugar, it's actually good for you. I read the back of the box today and it has a lot of vitamins and minerals, including Zinc.

"besides the sugar"

....there is no "besides the sugar" lol. The sugar is what makes it bad. Also many of the vitamins are fortified and not natural. Whether your body can absorb them fully is a whole another issue.

Why is everyone hating on cereal? Besides the sugar, it's actually good for you. I read the back of the box today and it has a lot of vitamins and minerals, including Zinc.

Then why is that people can eat so much sugar and have amazing skin? My boyfriend puts like 8 packets of sugar in a cup of tea and he's clear.

It seems like you are still doubting the diet-acne connection. You should be proud of your boyfriend. He has good genes and is not susceptible to triggers.

It's just like saying...why does your boyfriend not have acne and you do? Well, it's genetic,right? Yes, it's genetic in the sense that you might be susceptible to sugar causing acne; it's genetic in the sense that he's not susceptible.

Then why is that people can eat so much sugar and have amazing skin? My boyfriend puts like 8 packets of sugar in a cup of tea and he's clear.

1. i am 100% sure diet cured my acne, tried pretty much everything else and diet was the only thing that helped me.

2. i only use spf when im in direct sunlight for more than 10 mins. i try to get 10 mins of unprotected sun contact a day, i use spf if im gonna b in direct sunlight for longer than this. i use an avon moisteriser spf 15 for sensitive skin and mix in a bit of jojoba oil, it was recommended by Dan. Sun contact actually produces vitamin d3 not vitamin D fyi.

3. I think moisterising is a necessity, i use jojoba oil.

4. Defo need to exfoliate as dead skin cells can clog pores, read up on baby brush method. i baby brush every 2 days.

read up on oil cleansing method aswell

apart from the chemical peel wipes i use all natural products as most chemical stuff irritates my skin.

all these questions can be answered if you search the site. not to be rude but that's what everyone is trying to find