Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sie

Female Hormonal Acne & Holistic approach

As the title says--

I see alot of guys having life-altering success with diet changes, but I see many girls trying so hard and failing due to their hormonal interference (in the case of hormonal acne). I'm left wondering if there are ANY success stories on the Nutr/Holis board for female hormonal acne? If so, what ever did you do?

(BTW, I'm not looking for some scientific basis as to why gluten or dairy or exercise or sleep or {fill in the blank} causes hormonal changes. I think that I (and maybe some others) have every reason to believe that no specific lifestyle issues will cause or prevent my acne...due to the endocrine system, the hormones and acne problems occur regardless of diet, etc. What I AM searching for is: females here who have actually beat this specific type of acne "holistically".)

Thank you.

Well, almost all acne is hormone related. And yes, I have and my hirsutism is now improving as well. Although if you are talking about breakouts that occur monthly, then no, I never had that. My acne was constant.

Hello, I was am wondering the same thing..

What I do know is diet did help my acne, to the point where I DONT BREAK OUT, UNLESS I USE A COMOGENIC product, or I will have one on my chin at all times.

or unless I stress, and stress raises cortisol ext...

Someone help us here, what else can be done?

even if you eat perfect?

what about VITEX?

I keep hearing about its wonderful works to balance us women out.

ariellestar1234, I read your other post and thought "That's me." Actually I didn't do any of the elimination stuff because I know that specific food is not the culprit for my current skin condition. This past Winter things got really bad for me plus some weird health problems. I managed to figure out that I had a vit D and calcium deficiency and after fixing that, my skin basically returned to the way it has been in the past: some clogged pores, non-exfoliating skin that turns into the occasional pimple (usually around that time of the month). I am now using Avene with retinaldehyde & glycolic acid to try to keep fresh skin but I can still get these odd pimples out of nowhere during the week before my period. But the redness stays with me all month long. I was taking dong quai for anemia (low red blood) and I think it might have helped but I also might have imagined it...plus it was basically the "good" time of the month. I just ran out of dong quai and will be getting more to see if it helps. I tried Vitex last year, but it takes a really long time to work and after about 5 months I didn't think I saw any results. However, looking back, I'm not sure if the brand I was using was of good quality. I'm not sure if I'll try it again.

I lack knowledge in this area but I guess hormonal female problems are an excess of testosterone

and a lack of estrogens typical of PCOS or hirsutism. I wonder then if it would make sense to look for testosterone

lowering foods or approaches (believe it or not exercise lowers testosterone and being lean and having little body fat

too lowers testosterone) And I have always wondered whether certain foods or dietary regimes have a testosterone

lowering effect.

I lack knowledge in this area but I guess hormonal female problems are an excess of testosterone

and a lack of estrogens typical of PCOS or hirsutism. I wonder then if it would make sense to look for testosterone

lowering foods or approaches (believe it or not exercise lowers testosterone and being lean and having little body fat

too lowers testosterone) And I have always wondered whether certain foods or dietary regimes have a testosterone

lowering effect.

I just don't know if there is really any kind of "holistic" approach to this and the lack of positive feedback from females who have succeeded is reinforcing my belief that holistic can't seem to do the trick. As for testosterone-lowering foods...well, I've looked into it some (looking for something to assist with balancing during the appropriate time of month). In so far as herbs are foods, there are some. Mint and licorice, for example. Mint is rather benign to health otherwise, but licorice can cause high blood pressure in those who are already inclined to high blood pressure, fyi.

I am on a roll today....lol...

Well I have VERY BAD IRREGULAR menstural cycles, despite my damn near perfect diet...Ecspecially with no sugar...

But from jan of 2007-july 0f 2007, I have had 0 mensturations, none whats so ever..

Before last yr, in 2006 ,They were pretty regular, and ironically enough, I did not have acne, and had PERFECT PORELESS SKIN..

then I turned 21, in dec, 2006, all hell broke loose.

So in aug of 07,(this is before my drastic diet change mind you)...I wnet to see the doc, and he told ME IT WAS"COMMON", to miss periods, for up to 6 mnths :eh:

I was like what?

Then he tried to put me on BCPS, I said NO WAY!!

However, I did not get my harmonal estrogen/tetesterone levels checked, despite me having, some dark hairs above my lips, acne and missing periods...Honestly could not afford it..and even if I could of, he would of more then likely prescribe spiro, and bcps, I just do not want to go that route , not at all.

I am underweight, I am petie, and if I loose anymore weight I would dissapear...lol..

So when I changed my diet to perfection?

I began to spot, like for 4 days a week, 2 weeks out of the mnth, and I was happy to see atleast that...then again they stopped all together again..

In sept of 07,last yr...and it has been going on again and off, I even attribute that to me not eating bad for, sure...and lessoning my stress..

However I just cant seem to get regular, 5 days a week, like I used to, 1 time a mnth..

So, I really dont know what to do besides just keep eating good, exercising, and hopefully balancing myself out...if that does not work, then when I mak my big move to NYC, I would find a natropath, and try to see what they can help me with, and ask them to check me for something..

I just will not see a "regular doctor,", becuase I know the outcome.

I want to try the Vitex, because of its harmonal balancing properties, the only thing that has stopped me from going that route, is being to afraid, that it might make me break out more, so I am waitning until I have some down time, until I go that route...

or I might get some sooner..

IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE FIRST HAND WITH VITEX, THAT HELPED YOU BECOME NORMAL, please post on here, please.

I agree, sie, this is really something to ponder, and I know this skin hell,and my missing in action mensturation, is one of the causes of my very , very dry skin acne..

that ,and my skin not exfoliating properly.

Someone help pleaaaase.

I am on a roll today....lol...

Well I have VERY BAD IRREGULAR menstural cycles, despite my damn near perfect diet...Ecspecially with no sugar...

But from jan of 2007-july 0f 2007, I have had 0 mensturations, none whats so ever..

Before last yr, in 2006 ,They were pretty regular, and ironically enough, I did not have acne, and had PERFECT PORELESS SKIN..

then I turned 21, in dec, 2006, all hell broke loose.

So in aug of 07,(this is before my drastic diet change mind you)...I wnet to see the doc, and he told ME IT WAS"COMMON", to miss periods, for up to 6 mnths :eh:

I was like what?

Then he tried to put me on BCPS, I said NO WAY!!

However, I did not get my harmonal estrogen/tetesterone levels checked, despite me having, some dark hairs above my lips, acne and missing periods...Honestly could not afford it..and even if I could of, he would of more then likely prescribe spiro, and bcps, I just do not want to go that route , not at all.

I am underweight, I am petie, and if I loose anymore weight I would dissapear...lol..

So when I changed my diet to perfection?

I began to spot, like for 4 days a week, 2 weeks out of the mnth, and I was happy to see atleast that...then again they stopped all together again..

In sept of 07,last yr...and it has been going on again and off, I even attribute that to me not eating bad for, sure...and lessoning my stress..

However I just cant seem to get regular, 5 days a week, like I used to, 1 time a mnth..

So, I really dont know what to do besides just keep eating good, exercising, and hopefully balancing myself out...if that does not work, then when I mak my big move to NYC, I would find a natropath, and try to see what they can help me with, and ask them to check me for something..

I just will not see a "regular doctor,", becuase I know the outcome.

I want to try the Vitex, because of its harmonal balancing properties, the only thing that has stopped me from going that route, is being to afraid, that it might make me break out more, so I am waitning until I have some down time, until I go that route...

or I might get some sooner..

IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE FIRST HAND WITH VITEX, THAT HELPED YOU BECOME NORMAL, please post on here, please.

I agree, sie, this is really something to ponder, and I know this skin hell,and my missing in action mensturation, is one of the causes of my very , very dry skin acne..

that ,and my skin not exfoliating properly.

Someone help pleaaaase.

i take orthotricyclen and used to get huge pimples on my chin all the time but now i use the pills to skip my period and it cuts down on the break outs big time.

Hi sweetjade, I basically eat an anti candida diet 24/7, and will add free range turkey in soon..if no too much $$?

My other symptoms besides missing periods, is hair on my top lip :mad: and acne on my chin, mosytly 98% of the time,

and my skin is reallly dry, ecspecially in the winter.

That is about it, I am not over weight.

Chasteberry anyone?

Chasteberry is what ArielleStar is asking about...Vitex.

It boosts progesterone production which in turn will be converted into more androgens or hopefully more estrogens. If you are progesterone deficient or estrogen dominant I'd think about it, but if not....I wouldn't touch it.....

See, most Androgens Hormones are produced first and then if you have Aromatase Enzyme...some will be converted into Estrogen. This is where certain hormonal disorders and/or Insulin Resistance (diet) comes into play because....this enzyme will be at decreased levels if you have certain ones (hypothyroid, hyperandrogen, etc) and the right hormones and/or diet can obviously adjust these levels more favorably.

Did you try it and if so, did it work for you?

despite me having, some dark hairs above my lips, acne and missing periods...Honestly could not afford it..

Have you gained any weight?? I know you said you are thin, but have you gained any weight?

The reason I ask is becasue you seem to have all the symptoms of polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. You have all of them except weight gain. Have the docs checked you for that?

Meditation has almost cured my acne. My acne was due to hormonal imbalance.

Stress( emotional problems in my life) = hormonal chaos= acne.

My stress levels have gone down and my acne is almost gone.

hi guys ok i dont have wweight gain but i have hormonal acne and hairyness but im middle eastern so that may be why im kinda hairy (not too hairy) but my stomach is abnoramllt always bloated... is this a sign of a hormonal imbalance? also where can i get black currant oil

I have the same problem with hormonal spots, they start a few days before my period and then stop once my period finishs and then it starts again the next month. I have never done the diet thing COMPLETLY because im such a fussy eater i would starve if i had to cut out everything i was told to. I have cut down on Wheat i only eat brown bread, and have completly cut out diary, however it didnt really do much. So i wondered if it was actually having a effect so i added everything back i used to eat chocolate, cakes, bread (i still don't eat dairy as i read its the most important thing to cut out for hormonal spots) and my spots havn't changed one bit. Its still a few days before my period then the week of then stop when period stops.

Im currently using progesterone cream its to early to tell if its going to help in the long run ( have been on it month and a half), but last month i didnt get the week before breakout just the actual 4 or 5 days of my period so thats a great improvement. However my period was early so wether that was why i didnt get the week before breakout i don't know. Another thing that was good was my period last month was extremely light and i mean extremely, no stomach pains NOTHING. Im hoping the progesterone cream will help and will give it till the end of this bottle to see :pray:

Ive read about Vitex and thats seems to help aswel so id love to know who that has helped aswel?

The other thing is i think im going to go on the BCP im sick of dealign with the spots and if 1 small pill can solve that then im taking it. I went to the doctor yesturday but they prescribed me Ovranette which after researching is not recommened for acne as it can make it worse :wall: So i will be going back and telling them which pill i want to go on, which at the minute im thinking Yaz (is that available in the UK?). If the progesterone cream doesnt have much effect over my next few cycles i will be taking the pill.

Wow. I see so many questions, but no one coming forward with their holistic hormonal cure story. I'm afraid I might have my answer. It would seem there is no "natural" cure. There is bioidentical hormone replacement, the pill, and the other traditional approaches (from dermatologists). Oh well.

No, I am not overweight, I am a regular size, maybe a tad bit thinner for my height.

I am thinking of taking the plundge and ordering the vitex chasteberry tincture...

for this would be my last hope :think:

Who knows, maybe if I actually had my periods on time like they used to be , then I would not have "harmonal acne"..

And I guess that is the supposed, point of BCPS...

However, what did they do before they knew about bcps, being the "most effective", way to help with women's harmonal acne, back in the day?

or did women used to even get "harmonal acne", back in the day?

Probably not, becaue the foods wre made more quality like?

That is another reason I know the diet can greatly affect women around that time of the month.

To be honest, I would think if most people ate a really good diet (those who only get it before their periods)...

Should not have female acne around that time...I mean seriously, from what , if they are eating well?

And thier counter parts, are eating horribly and dont break out?

Damn, the human body.... :rolleyes:

Ecspecially us women. :(

No, I am not overweight, I am a regular size, maybe a tad bit thinner for my height.

I am thinking of taking the plundge and ordering the vitex chasteberry tincture...

for this would be my last hope :think:

Who knows, maybe if I actually had my periods on time like they used to be , then I would not have "harmonal acne"..

And I guess that is the supposed, point of BCPS...

However, what did they do before they knew about bcps, being the "most effective", way to help with women's harmonal acne, back in the day?

or did women used to even get "harmonal acne", back in the day?

Probably not, becaue the foods wre made more quality like?

That is another reason I know the diet can greatly affect women around that time of the month.

To be honest, I would think if most people ate a really good diet (those who only get it before their periods)...

Should not have female acne around that time...I mean seriously, from what , if they are eating well?

And thier counter parts, are eating horribly and dont break out?

Damn, the human body.... :rolleyes:

Ecspecially us women. :(

I know sie...

That is why I am afraid to take the vitex tincture, because even though it is natural, I am not sure of the side effects...

My friend took an herb called macca root last yr, becuase she was having issues like I, and it brought upon her mensturation, however she bled for 4 mnths straight... :redface:

she later found out it was blood stimulant...basically it makes you(women) come on, or something to that affect..

but I guess she took too much, and after she kept "flowing", for over a wek and half, she was worried...

So I have been reluctant to take herbs for me missing in action cycle...

However the differnce is, between the 2 herbs , is that VITEX is supposed to BALANCE you, meaning not stimulating tooo muc of estrogen to flow, and not making you produce too much progesterone, or something...

basically it is supposed to make things in that area flow right.

I wish I had someone post on here who is taking vitex.

Hi, alternativista...

I ahve been reading that thread since around when it started...

But see, I don think my problem is too much estrogen, I think for a female I produce too much tetesterone, being I have the symptoms of pcos...being missing periods, lor only spotting, and the fuzz on top of my lip...I dont have oily skin or the weight...

So, unless DIM, could /would help just balance both the teteserone /progesterone<<<I get those confused, and my estrogen levels , I dont see how that would help.

ANYwho I have been looking over this site

www.womantowoman.com

they specialize in dealing with women , and our crazy harmonal problems.

maybe it can be some help to some peolple..

I might look into them for some help, if I do not find some reolution soon.