Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

quick question. am i helping hormonal acne by exercising or possibly making it worse?

like what exactly happens to hormones during physical activity.

i heard testosterone is released...dont think that's good

one more thing how many times a week is best and is the regular weight bench and the new machine rod technology are they the same or is one better than the other ????

Working out is good for your skin. When I was working out 4 days a week my skin was totally clear. Then I stopped and my acne came back. Just stay away from supplements. I would say cardio will do nothing but help your skin. Weight lifting may make your skin a little worse in the very beginning, but after a couple weeks it will help it. Exercising helps with stress and that is also a plus.

i never said cardio, but either way its more natural than lifting..yes cavemen did run, thats why the human body is able to...also for thousands of years cultures have had sports, games, or dancing where moving for an extended period of time happened

Here's what is true regarding weightlifting, the heavier you lift, the more testosterone that's released in your bloodstream. That means higher rate of acne. (but as a great side-effect - bigger, stronger muscles! =)

This is especially true if you lift heavy with multi-joint exercises like heavy squats, bench press, and rows (for your back muscles)

Something to take into consideration when starting an exercise program. And something as low intensity as running/jogging, not much testosterone release going on there so that's safe.

You asked what workout would be the best? I would say it depends on what you want to get accomplished.

On the whole exercise/testosterone thing:

I read a study that found that cardio increased DHT by 8% and SHBG by 9% - so honestly I think that exercise has a neglible effect on androgens. Weightlifting probably has a greater effect on testosterone, though.

k so i just ran for about 30 mins and immediately showered.

seriously this is the quickest ive ever seen my face get noticeably better.

note that i also worked out about 30 mins after my last meal and drank a glass of water soon after.

don't be scared by all that DHT stuff unless you have anecdotal evidence running breaks you out.

seriously do you think sitting on your ass all day is beneficial to your skin or entire body?

Believe it or not both cardiovascular exercise and strength training lower testosterone.

The point is that testosterone per is not related in any way to strength, health, cultural male (or actually chauvinist) behaviors, violence and there are a lot of good things that make testosterone go down and lot of bad things that make testosterone go up. Stress makes testosterone go up, lack of sleep makes testosterone go up, being overweight or becoming obese makes testosterone go up, inflammation makes testosterone goes up. Exercise generally make testosterone goes down in spite of what they tell you on those muscle magazines (some of them having the word testosterone in the front page) Also testosterone goes up and down according to circadian cycle and time of the day.

The overall health benefits far outweigh any small increase in breakouts resulting from it( or that you try convincing yourself were a result of it). In the long-run you will be doing your body a favor, and the results will show. Whats good ofr your body is good for your skin. It more than likely wont clear your acne on its own, but a body will NOT produce acne if you are eating well, exercising, and staying happy and positive(a great side-effect of exercise as well). SO dont even worry about anything regarding increases in testosterone or any of that garbage. Go out and exercise!

oh btw, if you're doing cardio and get sick of running for 45 minutes at a time, try some interval training (sprints w/ short rest periods between). Not only is it more fun, but you can get the same benfits in 15 minutes of interval that you will running for like an hour. It helps your body recover quicker, which is great for sports or just general physical activity. I personally dont understand endurance running. The only thing it is good for and trains you for is.....endurance running. Just thought id throw that in there. good luck, have fun

I personally dont understand endurance running. The only thing it is good for and trains you for is.....endurance running. Just thought id throw that in there. good luck, have fun
Believe it or not both cardiovascular exercise and strength training lower testosterone.

The point is that testosterone per is not related in any way to strength, health, cultural male (or actually chauvinist) behaviors, violence and there are a lot of good things that make testosterone go down and lot of bad things that make testosterone go up. Stress makes testosterone go up, lack of sleep makes testosterone go up, being overweight or becoming obese makes testosterone go up, inflammation makes testosterone goes up. Exercise generally make testosterone goes down in spite of what they tell you on those muscle magazines (some of them having the word testosterone in the front page) Also testosterone goes up and down according to circadian cycle and time of the day.

false

How can you develop insulin resistance by sitting at home?

You mean like, getting fat and stuff? I thought insulin resistance were only for people with high BMI (or whatever its called in USA ;) )

false

its just that after a breakout my face would usually clear up within atleast 3 days.

that was last semester when i had an hour or two hours of gym every day.

now that i don't have gym i've pretty much been sitting on my ass all day and eating bread, chips, pasta seems to make my skin worse when last semester i literally could eat anything in any amount and i'd see no negative effect whatsoever.

in addition to the acne, eating things has triggered these small itchy spots that last for like 20 minutes and but sometimes go away quickly.

also, the tough zits that were on my nose yesterday are like 50% smaller and less red.