Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Justwater

Stopped antibiotics need help!!!

I am a 20 year old male and have suffered from acne since I was 15. When I was 15 years old I was prescribed Minocycline and that cleared up most of my acne. I never stopped taking the pills, but my acne came back. I have mild acne right now (mostly a couple whiteheads at all times) and I also have hyperpigmentation from the pills. 2 weeks ago I decided that I did not want to take acne antibiotics anymore since it destroys my immune system, my skin is red from taking them, and I drink alcohol a lot. My question is how long will it take for my face to not be red from the hyperpigmentation? And will I break out bad again since I have been relying on acne antibiotics for years?

"The people on the antibiotics forum might have some good advice for you, go check that out. I've seen a lot of posts on there from people who have gone off antibiotics, and many of them have talked about breaking out significantly after going off antibiotics. Not sure about the hyperpigmentation, though. Are you thinking of going on a different regimen once you quit minocycline??"

I am still washing my face twice a day with a good cleanser from the Image line. In the morning I put on a 5% Benzoyl Peroxide lotion and I also apply an oil free sunscreen. The BP lotion has aloe vera in it along w/ the BP, and at night I apply Benzaclin. I am hoping that will work fine.

I just wrote a post about this in the Adult acne fourm.

i found that to stay clear after antibiotics, Nicam gel , which contains4% nocotinamide, is brillant. I found it better than bp, because it is not as harsh and it does not bleach, but it actually worked better than bp for me. By using this i found my acne did not return after antibiotics. I put the Nicam all over my face, even thought i did not have spots all over my face, just one or two. I just put the Nicam on at night but u can put it on during the day if ur acne is worse

I also began to take new nordic 600mg cider vinegar tablets, two a day at brakfast so this may have contributed also.

Washed my face simly with water in morning to non irritate, the Nicam was doing enough. At night i used a mild cleanser to get rid of make up.

Doing this kept me clear, befor this my acne always returned when i was on differnet courses of antibiotics! i was on Tertraysl anti b's by the way before this and has "mild acne" ie about 9 or 10 spots, bout 2 or 3 of them were cysic before taking the Tetraysl. With doing this i am now clear i get maybe 2 tiny spots at the time of the month but thats it!

I just wrote a post about this in the Adult acne fourm.

i found that to stay clear after antibiotics, Nicam gel , which contains4% nocotinamide, is brillant. I found it better than bp, because it is not as harsh and it does not bleach, but it actually worked better than bp for me. By using this i found my acne did not return after antibiotics. I put the Nicam all over my face, even thought i did not have spots all over my face, just one or two. I just put the Nicam on at night but u can put it on during the day if ur acne is worse

I also began to take new nordic 600mg cider vinegar tablets, two a day at brakfast so this may have contributed also.

Washed my face simly with water in morning to non irritate, the Nicam was doing enough. At night i used a mild cleanser to get rid of make up.

Doing this kept me clear, befor this my acne always returned when i was on differnet courses of antibiotics! i was on Tertraysl anti b's by the way before this and has "mild acne" ie about 9 or 10 spots, bout 2 or 3 of them were cysic before taking the Tetraysl. With doing this i am now clear i get maybe 2 tiny spots at the time of the month but thats it!

Thank you I will look into that. I am the same...everytime I stop antibiotics I break out pretty bad. Hopefully it is different this time since I am almost 21 years old.