Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cipher13

Accutane and Alcohol Consumption

Hi,

I am a 32 year old female. I started Sotret today - a 40mg dose - my skin is not terrible (although it was in the past and I chose not to take Accutane because of the side effects) but I do now get cystic breakouts that have not responded to anything else. My doctor explained that the reason not to drink alcohol on Accutane was because when alcohol competes with isotretinoin to be metabolized, the Sotret will become a toxic byproduct and stored indefinitely in fatty tissue. Being a woman of childbearing age, if I wanted to have a child in the next 3 years or so I should abstain from drinking 100%. He emphasized the risk and the amount of alcohol and its side effects are not quantifiable, so there is no way of knowing if one drink is fine or if 5 drinks is the dangerous threshold.

I have seen on here that some others also have chosen not to drink at all. I am curious if anyone else has heard this explanation. I can't find anything else about it. I understand not drinking for liver health, etc. I am not talking about excessive or binge drinking, just a social drink or two now and then like once a week, maybe twice. It's kind of hard to go out with friends or on dates and not be able to drink at all. It would be an abrupt departure from my normal behavior. It is summer! It would seem awkward. I don't want anyone to get the wring idea, nor do I feel like getting into an explanation about not being able to drink because of being on Accutane.

Any opinions on this? I read the Sotret insert and it says NOT ONE WORD about not drinking at all or any contraindications for alcohol. It mentions St. Johns Wort and other things to avoid but not alcohol. I have not seen another doctor or sought an official second opinion.

Thanks.

First of all Sotret IS Accutane so you might have the same side effects. Definitely don't get pregnant hah. As far as alcohol, I was clearing up extremely well up until like day 20 when I had 2 beers and it got worse after that. I don't know if it was connected or not, but I'm done drinking for the next 6 months.

the only connection between accutane and alcohol is that they're both metabolized therough the liver... your face will clear and get worse quite frequently, it fluctuates throughout the course.

I'm a pretty heavy drinker and had no problems while on accutane or with my monthly blood tests.. they all came back perfect every time. Oh and accutane cleared me 90-95% :D

accutane is really hard on the liver, so if you drink while on tane it will make it harder for your liver. so the risk is liver damage/disease if you drink on accutane, nothing else. i drank on tane and while my blood tests show no abnormalities there is a chance i have done permanent damage to my liver from it, just as you can do damage from binge drinking.

so it's really just a risk you have to decide whether or not to take.

Thanks for the replies and reassurances. I am on day 4 and my face has cleared significantly. Is this possible?

Anyway - I am really interested in hearing if any other women/girls have been told by their derms that if they drink alcohol while on accutane their bodies will store some funky toxic product in their body fat indefinitely... and that in the future at some point this toxic stuff will be just as damaging to a growing fetus as taking Accutane at this point. At my age, having a baby within 2 to 3 years is a distinct possibility, and I would hate for this to have been true. I know I shouldn't be so skeptical, but he emphasized this explanation in 3 visits, and I have not seen one corroborating piece of information anywhere.

This concern is one I would not see pertaining to any males on the forum.

I apologize if that was not clear in my original question. If any other female can ask their doctor if this is truth or fiction that would be great.

I'm not worried an occasional drink will screw up my otherwise healthy liver, because that would be ridiculous. (No offense to those who have chosen to abstain).

next time you visit ask for information/booklets or anything that explains in detail what your derm is talking about. tell him/her you don't understand what he/she is saying, so ask if he/she can please explain it in further detail and not gloss over it by saying 'don't drink alcohol'. too easy ;)

well obviously it's not even good to drink period, but i drank a few times a week throughout the whole course. during spring break, i drank HEAVILY. it's not good for your liver, but that's up to you. my results came back fine, but who knows what ive done to my body permanently. im sure it's okay to drink very lightly once in awhile, but your idea of lightly may be different from mine so who knows. it's your own risk.

Anyway - I am really interested in hearing if any other women/girls have been told by their derms that if they drink alcohol while on accutane their bodies will store some funky toxic product in their body fat indefinitely... and that in the future at some point this toxic stuff will be just as damaging to a growing fetus as taking Accutane at this point. At my age, having a baby within 2 to 3 years is a distinct possibility, and I would hate for this to have been true. I know I shouldn't be so skeptical, but he emphasized this explanation in 3 visits, and I have not seen one corroborating piece of information anywhere.

the doctor didn't say you can't get pregnant after 1 month off accutane, he said that drinking alcohol while taking accutane will store a toxin in her fat that can affect the fetus if she ever does get pregnant. that has nothing to do with ipledge afaik

you even quoted it in your post...

Just my two cents worth...

i'm not sure about the physiological effects of alcohol on the body while on accutane, but I know that when I've drunk alcohol since I started on accutane (3 weeks ago) I have had the most horrific hangovers, depression and mood changes the next day. I've decided it's not worth drinking so I'm going to stop, at least only have one drink if I'm out. Last weekend I was at a wedding and drank a fair bit of wine, and the next day I haven't felt so low in a long, long time. I'm convinced it was the combination of alcohol and accutane.

There!

Here's my two cents:

I would suggest waiting atleast two months on accutane to drink. If after those two months you don't see any enzyme elevations in your liver work I'd say you are okay to casually drink, but not to the point of being significantly buzzed. I'd say 3-4 beers max. I would think most people would want to wait a few months not only to see how they respond to the medicine, but also to give the medicine their best shot, without the possibility of being taken off. If things get high, triglycerides, cholesterol, liver enzymes, etc. they'll take you off it.

My experience: First month 80mg, TG went up to 315. Taken off it for 2 weeks. After the break took 40mg for a month TG went to 115. Bumped up to 80mg for a month, TG went down to 79. I drank 4-5 times during the last month. However to bring my TG down I went on a strict diet and exercise regiment that I made up lol.