Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Venom32

Acne is overlooked as a serious problem...

I completely agree with you. I think that once you reach a certain point, you don't feel you'll every recover from the condition, emotionally and physically.

Argh that is so depressingly true, especially if you are left with scarring which makes it even harder to ever imagine recovering .

But regarding scarring I read recently that Carlos Tevez (for all you americans he's a football player who plays for Man Utd) has pretty bad burn marks down his right side from his ear to his chest and when he was younger he was offered to cosmetically improve them for free but he refused and said that the scars were a part of his past and therefore a part of him and who he was.

It got me thinking, when my skin was at its worst I always (falsely) believed that one day my skin would be clear and I would have my old life back, and severe acne would be a phase of life I could forget about. But now that it has dragged on so long and drained me of all energy and hope and also left me with fairly moderate scarring Ive come to realise that this isnt just some phase, this experience was a part of my life. One that I shouldnt try to repress but to accept and learn to live with it.

I like to think that when all my redness has gone and its just the scarring that I will wear my scars without shame. If I can manage that then I think that would be the best definition of "recovering" for me

DEF! you are so right... thinking of acne as a phase is crap. anyone on here ca confirm that.. it transforms your whole life and how you feel.. how you percieve others.. and yourself.. if it gets into your mind.. it has effected you. and most likely when we grow from the experience.. the scars mean we have lived.. and we have learned

it is definitely over looked as a SERIOUS problem. some people will accept that its a problem,but until they go through the whole palavar it causes,theyl never know what it can do to a person. i lost my entire life coz of acne :confused: for two whole years! literally could not leave my bedroom. i seen somewhere though,on the news that it is being considered more serious now,and docs are realising the devastating effects it can have on a person.

i bet loads of teenage suicides are down to acne,more than other problems. if you havent the confidence or nerve to walk down the street,whats the point in going outdoors sometimes.

its not an illness though,more of a 'condition'

this goes to all those who overlook acne:

if acne isn't such a big deal, do you ever get called disgusting? how would that make you feel? especially for something that isn't your fault?

honestly i'm on my way to psychotherapy for a lot of the shit acne has caused me.

all i know is that when i stop and imagine that my skin was clear, a shitload of problems disappear in that perspective.

it is definitely over looked as a SERIOUS problem. some people will accept that its a problem,but until they go through the whole palavar it causes,theyl never know what it can do to a person. i lost my entire life coz of acne :confused: for two whole years! literally could not leave my bedroom. i seen somewhere though,on the news that it is being considered more serious now,and docs are realising the devastating effects it can have on a person.

i bet loads of teenage suicides are down to acne,more than other problems. if you havent the confidence or nerve to walk down the street,whats the point in going outdoors sometimes.

its not an illness though,more of a 'condition'

Well said,

a lot of people will counter what you just said by saying " oh its all about you though, its about how you go about it, if you dont make it a big deal its not a big deal"

But personally I think thats silly, when your acne is bad enough to warrant stares, comments and questions or just plain looks of disgust, how can you convince yourself its not a big deal?? Drown it all out? ignore whats going on around you? Personally I cant do that, Im not very good at ignoring my surroundings, in fact Im the opposite, Im always very aware of my surroundings, so in that case Im always aware of someone staring at me, or someone making a snide comment out of earshot, or someone pointing.

Having to go through that everyday is something only a very small percentage of people can handle (not me unfortunately), for the rest of us it wears us down slowly and eats away at us, being treated like a monster in a sea of normal people.

i seen somewhere though,on the news that it is being considered more serious now,and docs are realising the devastating effects it can have on a person.

To be honest I only think its being treated as a more serious problem because it is a bigger problem now, what with the world becoming more about aesthetics then ever before.

I agree. My biggest problem is the ignorance about acne. People assume that if someone has acne, they must never wash their face, or they must eat poorly. We know so much better.

I think the reason acne is overlooked is because it's so common, and people often think common means insignificant. Sometimes a common problem really is insignificant, but the two don't always go hand in hand.

Generally, I don't view acne as being a major problem. Instead, I see the results of acne (the depression, social anxieties, body dis morphia, etc.) as major problems. This isn't so say there aren't severe case, because there certainly are, many of which have been seen on this very site. But I find the psychological issues more of a problem than actually having acne. (I think that's what's been said, but I wanted to put in my two cents.)

It should be taken case by case and not compared to other cases. There is always someone out there who has it worse, but that doesn't mean it should invalidate our own problems and concerns. That's just not fair.

Suicide is rare in dermatological patients. A study reported sixteen cases of suicide in patients with dermatological conditions.[7] Acne without primary psychiatric illness was the presenting diagnosis in seven of sixteen cases of suicide.

:|

I think that statistic (which comes up when you Google "acne suicide") is both wrong and misleading.

A condition as frustrating and humiliating as severe acne has had to have played a larger role in people killing themselves and wanting to kill themselves than that stat could ever hope to prove. If anyone who posts here killed themselves today and didnt specifically tell their Doctor or therapist "I want to kill myself because of acne...." it would just be another suicide, like many others, the real reason of the act being known only to the person that died. And I am certain that acne has played a larger role in suicides than what that lousy web page implies.

I think the reason acne is overlooked is because it's so common, and people often think common means insignificant. Sometimes a common problem really is insignificant, but the two don't always go hand in hand.

Generally, I don't view acne as being a major problem. Instead, I see the results of acne (the depression, social anxieties, body dis morphia, etc.) as major problems. This isn't so say there aren't severe case, because there certainly are, many of which have been seen on this very site. But I find the psychological issues more of a problem than actually having acne. (I think that's what's been said, but I wanted to put in my two cents.)

It should be taken case by case and not compared to other cases. There is always someone out there who has it worse, but that doesn't mean it should invalidate our own problems and concerns. That's just not fair.

ill take your point a step further and say that the real underling problem lies in the mentality of society nowadays. Yes acne is a problem so is being overwieght or having some other illness or having any other defect but its society that makes the person fell different. The lack of acceptance makes other feel un loved and un welcome in society.

No one is perfect and no one wants compassion i guess, just mutual respect and general love for others.

You spoke a thousands words in that topic. you told my life. my life before acne started I did great in school the frist 2 years regular classes I was preety dam smart. When it started I failed 3 classes. I felt worry all the time. I stared to see conseulers. I said almost straight out this fucking acne is kiling me They where like so you got some pimples.I said alright Then threats of murders they put me a way. Came out started useing drugs. Why I diding give a shit. Later threats of murders again. Lock me up again. Quack Docters only care about making money off the diease. I wasted untold sums of money on bullshit that made it worset. I never thought this could ever happen to me. I had a dumb conseuler just because I told her I spended money on a cheap acne treatment this filty bitch said. Who worrys about acne people have acne all over their face and live a perfectly normal life. I got in her face and said you know its so fucking easy to sit there and say that shit when you do not have one godam zit on your face . You know nothing about it. So shut up. The happyflowers said thats true with her head down.

The nerve of her I got rid of her a week later With that and so much other shit she said to me. Yeah the nation has got to wake up and really understand this acne problem and yeah I never been with anybody in almost 26 years of my entire life.

Now after more then ten years with acne and scars and shit I'm finally healing cause my parents and I have put so much money together and got a great doc who really gives a shit. My dad who use to tell me its just a stage. Is in dept now saids who gives a shit lets get in more dept. Sometimes he swings his arms in the air and saids mother fucking acne. I'm felling better each week cause things are getting so much clearer and thats all I ever wanted. I still feel bad that I can't get back my ten plus years of my young life that got wasted.

Im glad it's getting better for you...and thank you for proving my point that severe acne can be...maddening! You sound like you came close to going over the edge fighting your battle, I'm glad you didnt.