Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i read that hydrogen peroxide works wonders on acne because when it touches the skin it instantaneously turns into high pressure oxygen and acne bacteria cant live in the presence of oxygen. so has anyone ever used this before? peace

yeah i have notice only a short term effect with acne on this. It seems to me for some reason it only last so long. About a month. I find 50% alcholo to better. But if it works for you do it. Whatever you think makes you clear then go ahead and do it.

Might want to read up about the use of hydrogen peroxide and why it is not reconmended. www.paulaschoice.com has a lot of info. Something about the oxygen that isn't good for the skin. Think of rust. When metal, combined with water then exposed to air (oxygen) what happens? Yep, that right. It oxidizes, rusts. Not saying you face will rust, but I think you can get the jist of my ad-hock analogy.

-Snake

You are not your acne!

But that's because the charge of the Iron ions from Fe +2 to Fe+3 with the O2 to balance everything. This only occurs in ionic situations. Our body uses covalent bondings between things (well, hydrogen, and soem other but I don't feel like getting in that detail). I dunno how H2O2 could ionize to your body. It might be too harsh though.

I tried this once and it really burned my skin. It got rid of the zit but I had a bigger spot than if I would have left it a lone.

I was using a crude analogy, as chemistry was not one of my strong suits in school (although with enough soap, one can blow up just about anything :wink: ) Paulas Choice.com has a more detailed explaination of why she recommends againist using HP as a 'toner'.

-Snake

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken" - Tyler Durden

^.- understandable.

Too lazy to go on their site hah~ ^^;;.

But chances are, Hydrogen peroxide is way too harsh.

If hydrogen peroxide was more effective, why not use it instead of benzoyl peroxide? Hydrogen peroxide is cheaper too.

Chances are its not as effective and it is HARSH.

(Plus it tastes bad.....hehe..)