Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
citychick

Could mineral salt (applied externally) be the answer to acne?

So to my understanding, there is a:

-NaCl bar

-Potassium-Alum bar

-Ammonium-Alum bar

I wonder how all three compare.

They all work effectively as a deodorant, so your guess is as good as mine!

I have shared all of the information which I have discovered on this thread - everyone has access to the same study that I based my ideas on and needs to judge for themselves what course of action to take in terms of which product they choose to use.

I chose to use the same deodorant crystal that was used in the study. Other people might look at the study and decide that Alum crystal deodorants (whichever kind of Alum) are likely to work effectively too because they kill bacteria, and therefore that they will try this kind of deodorant instead.

I have also discussed the confusion over ingredients in these products, and that 'mineral salts' can mean several different things. It is up to you to look into this further and to either source a product which you know contains sodium chloride (like the one in the study) or use one containing Alum.

It took quite a bit of time to post all this information and I did so because I wanted to hopefully help people, and to promote experiment using these types of product to treat acne. But some people have been asking questions which I have already answered elsewhere or which ask me which product will work best. I'm happy to try and answer new questions, but please take the time to read through the thread to check if your question has already been answered. And I cannot tell you which product will work best - you will need to make a judgement yourself based on the study and based on experimentation with actually trying the products out.

I can only share what I have decided to do and tell you my results - and I hope that other people will share what they are doing and the results they are getting too :angel:

Just wanted to say I used it for one night and see improvement on inflammatory acne.

I also did some reading... basically salt acts as an antibiotic because it sucks the moisture out of the cell walls of bacteria thereby killing them. When bacteria is out of the way, it is easier for skin cells to do their job and heal. This is great because, at least from what I can get, the bacteria will not become resistant because the approach is different from other antibiotics. However, there are some forms of bacteria that prefer salty environments so I don't know if over time this may happen? In any case, for now, p. acnes hates salt. Yay :dance:

I don't think this would work on noninflammatory acne/blackheads/comedones as salt can not unclog pores, from my understanding.

Just wanted to say I used it for one night and see improvement on inflammatory acne.

I also did some reading... basically salt acts as an antibiotic because it sucks the moisture out of the cell walls of bacteria thereby killing them. When bacteria is out of the way, it is easier for skin cells to do their job and heal. This is great because, at least from what I can get, the bacteria will not become resistant because the approach is different from other antibiotics. However, there are some forms of bacteria that prefer salty environments so I don't know if over time this may happen? In any case, for now, p. acnes hates salt. Yay :dance:

I don't think this would work on noninflammatory acne/blackheads/comedones as salt can not unclog pores, from my understanding.

Hey Jd - fab research, thanks for sharing :clap: I didn't know the actual action of the salt on the skin cells (just that it killed bacteria), so that's really interesting to know.

I have read that salt does have a drawing effect and helps to detoxify the skin by drawing out the crap from the pores - my results so far have included the almost total elimination of blackheads on my nose, which is great (especially since I wasn't expecting it)! So it will be interesting to see whether other people have results with blackheads as well as inflamed spots.

Yeh - be gone nasty p.acnes bacteria :lol: You're not welcome here!

This is making my skin look flawless :D :D

I'm so happy for you :dance: :dance: :dance:

It's such a great feeling when you've finally found something which gives you that control back.

Congrats congrats congrats!!!!

Awesome!

yea I'd say my skin is looking the best it has in a long time.

Hey Jd - fab research, thanks for sharing :clap: I didn't know the actual action of the salt on the skin cells (just that it killed bacteria), so that's really interesting to know.

I have read that salt does have a drawing effect and helps to detoxify the skin by drawing out the crap from the pores - my results so far have included the almost total elimination of blackheads on my nose, which is great (especially since I wasn't expecting it)! So it will be interesting to see whether other people have results with blackheads as well as inflamed spots.

Worked on your blackheads huh? More power to you :)

How long have you guys been using this? What was your acne like before and how is it now?

Awesome!

Great news :dance:

How long have you guys been using this? What was your acne like before and how is it now?

Yeh - blackheads almost gone!

My skin before - well it wasn't severe but I was getting really sore, nasty red cysts which took ages to go away and left scars, and I had blackheads on my nose. Also i always had spots waiting to come up under the skin, so it was never smooth, even when I did have no big spots actually erupted. I also had spots on my upper arms.

I'm getting there - almost almost clear but not quite yet....... I feel like I've cracked it though which is an amazing feeling :angel:

Awesome!

Great news :dance:

Yeh - blackheads almost gone!

My skin before - well it wasn't severe but I was getting really sore, nasty red cysts which took ages to go away and left scars, and I had blackheads on my nose. Also i always had spots waiting to come up under the skin, so it was never smooth, even when I did have no big spots actually erupted. I also had spots on my upper arms.

I'm getting there - almost almost clear but not quite yet....... I feel like I've cracked it though which is an amazing feeling :angel:

Sounds a lot like what I have. You should consider NdnRomeo's regimen since you were talking about the "root" of acne. It's really wonderful. Plus it's good for your health and not only will it clear you, but also improve the texture of your skin overall. I've been on it and I'm seeing differences.

If this salt thing is really working for me and isn't just one of those clearing stages, then I'd be OK being dependent on it. I think diet right now is what triggers my acne, and it's really hard to stick with a strict diet. I haven't been following my diet at all recently and just eating whatever. I think the salt is really helping prevent breakouts. Let's just hope it keeps working :clap:

Sounds a lot like what I have. You should consider NdnRomeo's regimen since you were talking about the "root" of acne. It's really wonderful. Plus it's good for your health and not only will it clear you, but also improve the texture of your skin overall. I've been on it and I'm seeing differences.

Yeh when i've completely cleared my skin with this I'm going to start focusing how to keep the acne away internally as well as externally - that's my ultimate aim. I've just been getting so fed up having tried so many dietary programmes and getting a bit of progress, but then slipping up because it's so hard to stick to. This just feels right for me at the moment, and it's working so mentally I'm feeling alot happier and more positive.

Yeh when i've completely cleared my skin with this I'm going to start focusing how to keep the acne away internally as well as externally - that's my ultimate aim. I've just been getting so fed up having tried so many dietary programmes and getting a bit of progress, but then slipping up because it's so hard to stick to. This just feels right for me at the moment, and it's working so mentally I'm feeling alot happier and more positive.

I've been where you've been, believe me. I even went to a holistic doctor who put me on diets and detoxes, all to no avail. I've been eating healthy for years, rarely eat junk food and all that stuff. I tire of hearing people say "I stopped eating 20 chocolate bars a day and my face cleared up!" I don't even eat 20 chocolate bars a year, or even 10, maybe 5 or something. Exercise didn't help either. Topical stuff only aggravated it. I did a candida cleanse, I cut out dairy for 3 months and gluten for 2. I didn't see a single change. I even got my hormones tested and everything was normal, my testosterone levels, my sugar levels. I'm as healthy as a horse.

I'm not saying to not do this, don't get me wrong. Heck I've jumped the bandwagon myself :) I just feel that that acne is a symptom of something larger. I don't have acne because I have acne, I have acne because my body has too much of x or not enough of y.

Anyways, the nice thing about NdnRomeo's regimen is that it's not a diet. It's just making sure your body has everything it needs to function optimally through supplements (ie essential fatty acids and vitamins). No weird herbs and stuff. Very well researched. I'm in my forth week and so far I'm seeing some pretty subtle differences, but it probably won't be until the 6th week that I'll see the real deal. Anyways, once you clear up, think about it :)

Keep me updated on your progress :)

Okay i really want to try this as it seems to be working great for everyone, i went on the website of the one the OP is using and tried to order it. Well i live in the UK so knew there would be a shipping fee, anyway i go through all the process of ordering it and it says its going to cost $67 for shipping :shock::shock::shock: Im sorry but how on earth can it cost $67 to ship a stick of salt?? Is there anywhere else i can get one from?

EDIT

Is this the one OP http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crystal-Stick-Body-D...Q2em118Q2el1247 ?

Don't want to order it till i know its the correct one

I heard that salt is pore clogging. Anyone know about that? I've been on what I like to call "Crystal Therapy" for about three days now. I had a huge bump coming in next to my nose and now it's gone! I know it would've been one of those that stayed around for ever. The salt seems to be working for now but I'm worried that in the long run it'll make my face worse.

how long before people started seeing results? I've been using it for 2.5 days now (I do morning and night) and i don't really see any results yet.. should I do it for a full two weeks before I decide if it's right for me? oh and I only apply it to back, chest and arms (chest and arm breakouts are thanks to doxycycline, yikes what a nightmare) and anyway i notice when I apply it to damp skin the deodorant itself dries and flakes but my skin doesn't which is weird. the first time it went on totally clear but the last few times it has dried up. but it doesn't dry my skin which is nice. still i haven't seen results just yet :think:

Okay i really want to try this as it seems to be working great for everyone, i went on the website of the one the OP is using and tried to order it. Well i live in the UK so knew there would be a shipping fee, anyway i go through all the process of ordering it and it says its going to cost $67 for shipping :shock: :shock: :shock: Im sorry but how on earth can it cost $67 to ship a stick of salt?? Is there anywhere else i can get one from?

EDIT

Is this the one OP http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crystal-Stick-Body-D...Q2em118Q2el1247 ?

lilmissblonde,

I live in the UK too and I got it from Bert & Daisy.. strangely, they seem to have stopped selling it :confused: or maybe they're just out of stock. Anyway, you can def get it in the UK for under a tenner! Don't pay over the odds!

Mine took 4 days to deliver, it arrived today - will be sure to keep everyone updated here :catdance:

EDIT: try here <-- the third one down is the one myself and citychick are using. It's about the same price I paid. Good luck!

5-7

Glad to hear so many people are having success with this :)

I've been applying it to may face every night since last Sunday. Not too much difference but it's still too early to tell.

I wrote a post about using mineral salt on my face and a power masque that I invented with the mineral salts and the results I was having......nobody responded. :snooty: but glad it worked for you! :dance:

Here is one of my old posts where I talk about using mineral salt in a masque I invented, you can read my other posts about it.

It's now been over 1 week since I made this masque and I am impressed with the results. I mentioned in an earlier post that my bf got me some sea salt scrub called "Etre" which has mineral salt suspended in oils from the dead sea. This is what I put in my masque if anyone is interested:

-A nickel size of the etre mineral salts

-half a teaspoon of ACV

-Mint julep masque

So I get the salt, I had the ACV and I rub it together until most of the salt dissolves with the ACV (I do all this in the palm of my hand). Next, I add the mint julep masque to mix everything together and create a paste. I put this on my face for about 1 hr. Been doing this for over a week, my active acne has dried, and red marks are fading...hope this continues!!

------------

ipodaddict lol. your sig. is funny. thats how i feel some days when people say dont eat so much pizza or somthing like that lol.

but yea as for this . i didnt see it in the deodrant isle in walmart, what place sells this? I think i heard someone on here say they got it from a Health store, where would it be at in there? because most the health stores here just sell healty food and stuff... thanks.

ipodaddict lol. your sig. is funny. thats how i feel some days when people say dont eat so much pizza or somthing like that lol.

but yea as for this . i didnt see it in the deodrant isle in walmart, what place sells this? I think i heard someone on here say they got it from a Health store, where would it be at in there? because most the health stores here just sell healty food and stuff... thanks.

I'm from the UK so I don't know about other countries. But here, many health food stores also sell natural body care products such as deodorant. Just go in and ask if they have a body care section, or have a look yourself.

Or look online.

Okay i really want to try this as it seems to be working great for everyone, i went on the website of the one the OP is using and tried to order it. Well i live in the UK so knew there would be a shipping fee, anyway i go through all the process of ordering it and it says its going to cost $67 for shipping :shock: :shock: :shock: Im sorry but how on earth can it cost $67 to ship a stick of salt?? Is there anywhere else i can get one from?

EDIT

The following UK websites sell the Crystal Deodorant Body Stick which I am using, and which was used successfully in the study (I already posted about the first one of these on page 2 of this thread).

Lemonburst

Meadowgiftsandtoys

Sounds like Bert & Daisy are out of stock of this deodorant.

Just try googling it and I'm sure you'll find other places that sell it too.

Don't be confused if some of these websites talk about the ingredients being 'mineral salts' or 'alum'. The people who did the study contacted the folks at thecrystal.com and got an information sheet with the breakdown of ingredients - and it contains 98% sodium chloride with traces of alum. I think people selling the products on their websites don't know what they actually contain.

how long before people started seeing results? I've been using it for 2.5 days now (I do morning and night) and i don't really see any results yet.. should I do it for a full two weeks before I decide if it's right for me? oh and I only apply it to back, chest and arms (chest and arm breakouts are thanks to doxycycline, yikes what a nightmare) and anyway i notice when I apply it to damp skin the deodorant itself dries and flakes but my skin doesn't which is weird. the first time it went on totally clear but the last few times it has dried up. but it doesn't dry my skin which is nice. still i haven't seen results just yet :think:

Check out the study - the people who had success with it saw results generally after 2 weeks. After 2 weeks people with severe acne either saw results and then when on to clear their acne totally in 5 weeks, or in 2 weeks their acne was completely clear.

Read up on it yourself - this will give you some reassurance and the information about how long you will need to wait to see results.

My acne wasn't severe and I noticed results within a couple of days - if people have severe acne / other types of acne it could take longer.

Good luck with it - keep us posted :angel: