Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
citychick

Could mineral salt (applied externally) be the answer to acne?

Remaining spots fading fast - I'm really happy :angel:

Feels like I've finally found something which will control this horrible skin problem and with any luck completely eradicate it (so long as I keep using it - in the study people's acne came back when they stopped using it).

Anyway it really doesn't seem that much of a hassle to apply a salt once a day to achieve acne free skin (in the study people just had to apply it once a day when their skin was clear to maintain the results, but I am using it twice a day at the moment until my skin is completely clear).

Anyone else getting good results yet? Remember that in the study people with severe acne had to use the product for 2 weeks to see results and up to 5 weeks to completely clear their acne. My acne isn't severe, just persistent, so that's maybe why mine is clearing up so much more quickly.

Hi everyone,

I've been skimming over this board for about 3 weeks now, aiming to come on hear and share the wealth as soon as I found a cure! After seeing this thread citychick, I just had to join. Thanks for sharing the info. I just have a quick question, I'm from England (and I see you're a Scottish lass!) and I was wondering if you know anywhere to buy these products in the highstreet? I think I saw Holland & Barrett mentioned, and I was gonna head down there soon to check it out. Thanks again, I'm glad you've found something that's working for you.

fs

Hi everyone,

I've been skimming over this board for about 3 weeks now, aiming to come on hear and share the wealth as soon as I found a cure! After seeing this thread citychick, I just had to join. Thanks for sharing the info. I just have a quick question, I'm from England (and I see you're a Scottish lass!) and I was wondering if you know anywhere to buy these products in the highstreet? I think I saw Holland & Barrett mentioned, and I was gonna head down there soon to check it out. Thanks again, I'm glad you've found something that's working for you.

fs

Hi Five-Seven - and welcome to the board!

My original Crystal Spring deodorant (made from 100% Alum) which I got a while ago was from Holland & Barrett but if you've read through the posts you'll see I'm now only using the following Crystal Body Deodorant Stick which was used in the study I found (for details of the study see my first post). This is made principly from Sodium Chloride (98%), with traces of Alum.

I purchased this on ebay (from a UK seller) and they are still selling them on there - just type in Crystal Deodorant in the search facility and look for the same brand (and the purple packaging). Mine only cost £2.99 plus postage (so it worked out at about a fiver in total), so it was pretty reasonable and should last for ages, even a year.

I've just found the same Crystal Body Deodorant being sold on the following UK Website so you can order it from there as well. Of course if you google it you may find other websites which sell it cheaper.

I don't know where you can buy this specific brand in the shops - they don't sell it in Holland & Barrett unfortunately. Of course you can buy an alum crystal deodorant such as the Crystal Spring one I mention in my first post from H&B - but this is made of Alum and not mainly Sodium Chloride like the one I am using.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Five-Seven, I've just found another UK website called Bert & Daisy which also sells the Crystal Body Deodorant Stick which I am using.

I don't want to be seen as pushing one product and I can't say that a 100% Alum deodorant such as the Crystal Spring one won't work as well as this one which is 98% sodium chloride. The reason I am using it is because it is the one used successfully in the study, and therefore I want to properly test it out.

During the first few days of my trial I used a mixture of the Alum deodorant in the morning and sea salt crystals dissolved in water in the evening with good results, so it is hard to say which of those was giving the positive results.

Now with sole use of the sodium chloride Crystal Body Deodorant Stick I am getting very good results, so from now on I intend to stick with this one for consistency.

Hey citychick,

Thank you kindly for all the help. I've ordered it from bert & daisy and am really looking forward to trying it out! I will of course keep everyone on this thread updated about the results. For the record, I have moderate acne which has been very stubborn for about 5 years. It's starting to leave some reddening around and on my nose so I really want to bring that down!

Thanks again!

fs

Hey citychick,

Thank you kindly for all the help. I've ordered it from bert & daisy and am really looking forward to trying it out! I will of course keep everyone on this thread updated about the results. For the record, I have moderate acne which has been very stubborn for about 5 years. It's starting to leave some reddening around and on my nose so I really want to bring that down!

Thanks again!

fs

No problem Five-Seven, and good luck! I'm glad someone else is trying this out and I look forward to hearing how you get on with it. Stick with it for at least 2 weeks and I really hope you get the same good results.

Just to clarify for everyone, the address printed on the back of the Crystal Body Deodorant Stick which I am using is as follows:

F/T Ltd, P.O. Box 756 Millbrae, CA 94030-0756

If you look at the study (see the weblink in my first post) you will see that this is the address for the product used in the tests with such successful results.

Whilst waiting for my stuff to arrive, I've found another website that sells a similar product which is actually free of alum; pure mineral salt. They also sell them 3 for a tenner so it could prove to be a very cheap solution. Is anyone else trying this or looking to try it?

I've been applying the Crystal deodorant usually around nighttime for the last few days. I breakout when I eat crap food, almost always when I eat sugar, especially high amounts. So last night I ate a store-bought meal (tuna wrap, chips, fruit cup, Snickers bar) and figured for sure I'd have one or two new whiteheads this morning from the Snickers. But last night I applied the deodorant on most of my face. Well this morning I wake up, nothing new. In addition, I have this one annoying semi-large red zit on my neck (you know how those take forever to heal) and it is drying out. My other red marks on my neck seem to be fading quicker too. Mind you, I haven't taken a shower yet, so we'll see what it looks like after that. BUT it seems to be helping. I'll keep you updated.

Whilst waiting for my stuff to arrive, I've found another website that sells a similar product which is actually free of alum; pure mineral salt. They also sell them 3 for a tenner so it could prove to be a very cheap solution. Is anyone else trying this or looking to try it?

I checked out that website before Five-Seven - it says it is 'Aluminium' free, not 'Alum' free (Aluminium is different from Alum) and it is not clear what is meant when it says '100% mineral salts'. I'm afraid this is part of the problem I talked about before in my previous posts - you don't know exactly what you're getting in alot of these products, so you really need to email the company and double check.

Thanks for the heads up anyway - I suspect this is made from Alum though, not sodium chloride, as the majority of these deodorants are made from Alum.

I've been applying the Crystal deodorant usually around nighttime for the last few days. I breakout when I eat crap food, almost always when I eat sugar, especially high amounts. So last night I ate a store-bought meal (tuna wrap, chips, fruit cup, Snickers bar) and figured for sure I'd have one or two new whiteheads this morning from the Snickers. But last night I applied the deodorant on most of my face. Well this morning I wake up, nothing new. In addition, I have this one annoying semi-large red zit on my neck (you know how those take forever to heal) and it is drying out. My other red marks on my neck seem to be fading quicker too. Mind you, I haven't taken a shower yet, so we'll see what it looks like after that. BUT it seems to be helping. I'll keep you updated.

Good news IpodAddict :dance: thanks for keeping us updated!

Hope you continue to get good and even better results - out of interest, are you using the same product as me?

Hope you continue to get good and even better results - out of interest, are you using the same product as me?

I should clarify: there are no new zits where I applied the deodorant, but there are two tiny ones around my mouth, where nothing was applied. Also for lunch yesterday I forgot that I ate a ton of sugar there as well (iced tea, ice cream) and so with both combined meals I should probably have broken out more, but I haven't :)

Yes, I am using the same thing as you. Just picked it up from a local store. Want to be deodorant buddies? :P

I should clarify: there are no new zits where I applied the deodorant, but there are two tiny ones around my mouth, where nothing was applied. Also for lunch yesterday I forgot that I ate a ton of sugar there as well (ice tea, ice cream) and so with both combined meals I should probably have broken out more, but I haven't :)

Yes, I am using the same thing as you. Just picked it up from a local store. Want to be deodorant buddies? :P

Great that this seems to be giving you positive results! Of course I'm not advocating that we should all eat rubbish and use this as the only method of kicking acne on the head - but let's face it, it's so hard to be 'good' with your eating habits all of the time, and it does get a bit frustrating. Which is why I think using the salt is such a helpful thing - it takes the pressure off you so you don't feel you have to eat perfectly all of the time.

Ha ha deodorant buddies :lol: I like it

Keep us posted on your progress

Hello.

I was reading through this and am going to buy me some from where you citychicK, get yours..

I was wondering a couple of things though.

Will it clear , like and exisiting pimple?

what about the scar that is left behind?

and also, what does it feel like?

You described how it looks on the skin, but what does it feel like, upon appliction, and after it dries?

And also...lol..

what other products, should not be used with this?

like Should I use this over night where I do not apply anything on top of it or what?

and this sounds like BP, a bit..

when you stop using it, (the mineral salt deodorant)...will your acne come back more vicious?

I mean, like is this drying the pimple out or, completely not letting it form the bacteria at all?

and just killing what bad bacteria you do have on your skin?

THANKS!!

I am buying this on wed, and will be joining the train!! I mean it is cheap..what the heck..

I HOPE it will works well!!

Thanks again for this find!!

Can I be a deodorant buddy too? :)

Been applying it to my face at night for only a couple days so too early to tell. The bar/stone I bought from Whole Foods is Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal. Says "Natural mineral salts" under ingredients. Wow that's helpfull. Anyone else using this brand?

It actually IS a very good deodorant though!

when you stop using it, (the mineral salt deodorant)...will your acne come back more vicious?

hehe it may be. although if rubbing deodorant on my skin makes acne go away.. I wouldn't mind buying it for years!

I'm going to try to find some mineral salt deodorant (or maybe just a block of pure NaCl..) tomorrow and start with the body breakouts. maybe it'll actually work!

Will it clear , like and exisiting pimple?

what about the scar that is left behind?

and also, what does it feel like?

You described how it looks on the skin, but what does it feel like, upon appliction, and after it dries?

And also...lol..

what other products, should not be used with this?

like Should I use this over night where I do not apply anything on top of it or what?

I mean, like is this drying the pimple out or, completely not letting it form the bacteria at all?

and just killing what bad bacteria you do have on your skin?

I find it clears existing spots more quickly and stops new ones from forming. I don't know about scars as I haven't used it for long enough to really judge this - I can say that it seems to reduce overall redness in the skin, and reduce the redness left behind by previous spots.

In terms of application - it stings a little bit when it going on (if you use a sodium chloride one - the alum ones don't sting for me) then tingles as it dries. When it has dried your skin can feel a bit tight, but not really badly so. And then after maybe 30 minutes the skin tightness is relieved and your skin feels more comfortable again. I'm using the crystal in the evening on its own and in the morning letting it dry and then applying a moisturiser.

In the study people using it did not use it with anything else - i.e. they did not use it with a moisturiser or other topical products. Though one guy carried on using an antibiotic cream on one side of his face and the salt crystal on the other to compare - the result was that the side of his face treated with the salt crystal cleared completely, while the other side treated with the antibiotic stayed the same. So he then started only using the salt crystal on both sides of his face and completely cleared his acne!

So overall I would recommend using it on its own without anything else - but I find I need moisturiser in the morning only, so that I can apply my make up smoothly.

In the study people's acne returned the same when they stopped using the salt crystal - so yes, unfortunately, you would have to keep using it to maintain the results. But at the end of the day it's really not that much of a hassle to do - no more difficult than applying a cream or something.

Hope this helps :angel:

Can I be a deodorant buddy too? :)

Been applying it to my face at night for only a couple days so too early to tell. The bar/stone I bought from Whole Foods is Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal. Says "Natural mineral salts" under ingredients. Wow that's helpfull. Anyone else using this brand?

Yeh it's annoying isn't it - what exactly does 'Natural mineral salts' mean?!! :doh:

I find the majority of these crystal deodorants are made from 100% Alum (when I email the companies to find out, this is what most of the replies say - actually all of the replies have said this). You can also do a little taste test on your finger - if it doesn't taste of regular salt then it probably isn't.

Good luck with it anyway - I can't say whether Alum deodorant will have the same good effect, but there's no reason why not in my view. They should both work more or less the same - killing the bacteria that cause acne and inflammation in the skin. I am using the sodium chloride one simply because that is the one that was used successfully in the study - but when I started out I was using an Alum one, and it did seem to help.

It would be really good to hear from someone who is only using a 100% Alum crystal deodorant, and find out if they get good results too in the long term.

So keep us posted!

hehe it may be. although if rubbing deodorant on my skin makes acne go away.. I wouldn't mind buying it for years!

I'm going to try to find some mineral salt deodorant (or maybe just a block of pure NaCl..) tomorrow and start with the body breakouts. maybe it'll actually work!

Good luck - let us know how you get on :angel: I would go for the NaCL (sodium chloride) pure block if you can get hold of it easily. Good idea to try it on your body breakouts first too - I tried it on my upper arms where I get a few spots, and they cleared right up (and no new spots there since)!

Ok, I've been doing this for about 4 days now.

So far..holy crap, this helps a ton.

Wohooooo :dance: Glad to hear you're getting good results.

This is an interesting related thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=86369

Thanks for highlighting that - yeh I saw it recently and had a read through. It talks more about salt baths, but some people also used salt dissolved in water as a face spray.

I found it interesting as they talk about the fact that salt helps detoxify the skin and actually helps draw out the blockages. Mind you I'm not 100% sure about salt baths (some salt added to a bath would be ok, but they were using ALOT) - some people talked about feeling a bit dizzy afterwards! You would have to be careful.

All in all though, more evidence that salt applied externally is beneficial for acne prone skin! :clap:

I checked out that website before Five-Seven - it says it is 'Aluminium' free, not 'Alum' free (Aluminium is different from Alum) and it is not clear what is meant when it says '100% mineral salts'. I'm afraid this is part of the problem I talked about before in my previous posts - you don't know exactly what you're getting in alot of these products, so you really need to email the company and double check.

Thanks for the heads up anyway - I suspect this is made from Alum though, not sodium chloride, as the majority of these deodorants are made from Alum.

Ahhh, good call. I just rechecked and had completely overlooked that (and to think I'm a trained scientist!)

I have just for experimental purposes been diluting sea salt in hot water, rinsing my face and letting it air dry. So far, after around 3 applications, it's got my acne under control in the same way as my facewash/BP did before, except with less redness. I'm looking forward to actually using the proper application method as used by the guys trying to get the patent - I will try to make a picture blog or something so people can compare their skin to mine and see the effectiveness. I'm very happy with the idea of using salt though, as I grew up on the coast and spent my summer days windsurfing or sailing I would always noticed my acne clear up completely over the summer! Why I didn't think of this before is baffling me.

How is yours coming on so far? I'm glad there are more people interested in this btw, hi everyone! :dance:

5-7

Ahhh, good call. I just rechecked and had completely overlooked that (and to think I'm a trained scientist!)

I have just for experimental purposes been diluting sea salt in hot water, rinsing my face and letting it air dry. So far, after around 3 applications, it's got my acne under control in the same way as my facewash/BP did before, except with less redness. I'm looking forward to actually using the proper application method as used by the guys trying to get the patent - I will try to make a picture blog or something so people can compare their skin to mine and see the effectiveness. I'm very happy with the idea of using salt though, as I grew up on the coast and spent my summer days windsurfing or sailing I would always noticed my acne clear up completely over the summer! Why I didn't think of this before is baffling me.

How is yours coming on so far? I'm glad there are more people interested in this btw, hi everyone! :dance:

5-7

Hey 5-7! Yeh it's a bit confusing when they talk about 'mineral salts'. I now have a collection of two Alum deodorants which should at least last me for a couple of years use as a deodorant anyway!

Good idea to use the salt water solution while waiting for your salt crystal to arrive - that's what I did too and the results were good.

Yeh it's one of those things that makes you go 'doh, why on earth didn't I think of this before'! :lol: It just makes sense.

I'm glad we're starting to get some feedback and that it's all pretty positive - makes me glad that I got the nerve together to post my idea on here (I was a bit worried people might just tell me I was being daft or that it had been tried before) :redface:

It's still going well for me - I have had a couple of tiny white heads pop up, but they've gone down again within 24 hours with use of the salt crystal, and NO MORE nasty big cysts, so all in all I'm still very happy with the results. I just hope it keeps getting better and better until I can finally say I'm clear :pray:

Keep us posted! :angel: