Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tabasco

Conventional wisdom is wrong!

I struggled with acne for years, my face, my back. A couple years a go I just gave up because nothing seemed to be working. I would rinse my face in the shower once a day for about 5-10 seconds, thats it. My face cleared up after about 2 weeks. Seriously. I continued to wash my back with various acne soaps/bar soaps/shampoos using all creams and stuff. I also still had acne on my back. For some reason I didn't make the connection to just stop washing my back too, actually I think I tried but gave in and started washing it again. Finally a few weeks ago I decided to do the same thing, no more salicylic acid, no more creams, its all a bunch of BS. Guess what, my back has never been clearer.

Honestly, I don't think its an intentional scam being pulled by the cosmetics industry... but they certainly don't really have any incentive to cure acne. If you believe that you need to buy that 10$ product every other week to keep your acne at bay, they'll make money.

Heres some science for you. Your completely screwing up the natural "ecosystem" of bacteria and other stuff on your back by applying various creams. P. acnes is an opportunistic bacteria, its only thriving in your pores because it has no competition, you've killed all the other forms of bacteria. You do this every time you apply some type of peroxide/acid...

Another thing, stripping the skin of as much oil as possible by using soaps is ludicrous. It drys out and irritates the skin, and makes your oil glands go into overdrive to compensate. What is that? "But I sweat and then I'll smell really bad if I don't shower with soap." Here's some more science for you, sweat is essentially just salt water, NaCl ionized in H20. Running water over your back/face will remove the sweat, because sweat is soluble in water. You'll also remove a significant amount of surface oil, so you won't look like a grease ball, or smell like a homeless person.

Seriously I really wish someone had just told me this years ago, it would have saved so much needless aggravation. Give it a try if you don't mind the initial breakout from your normally overactive oil glands, and over populated survival of the fittest P. acnes bacterial colonies. When I stopped my back broke out worse than it has in years, but within a week my skin started looking healthier, and the pimples receded, now I look like a healthy human being again. Like I would have if I was living off the land in nature, maybe letting the rain wash the sweat off my back now and then, instead of compulsively rubbing chemicals all over my body.

By the way, I still wash my arm pits, balls, and butt and I smell fine!

Sorry if this post seemed a bit manic. I'm just happy I've figured out what a scam the cosmetics industry is, and how to cure my bacne.

Sometimes I wonder about this, as breaking out doesn't seem to be an issue in third world countries where hygiene is not a big concern. Then again they do run into other problems like boils, abscesses and flesh eating bacteria.

I'm glad that the do-nothing regimen works for you. It does not work at all for me.

Okey. My body acne got pretty bad like october last year and for 6 months I just let it be. I did nothing to it because I'm also a strong beliver that doing nothing is the best thing. However, my acne didn't get better nad after a while I realised it wasn't going away so i started with various treatments.

However I'm not sure if topicals work either. HAHA.

But Fish Oil, ACV, Zinc, Head & Shoulders, exfoliation etc. is anyways part of my routine now.

Doing a little something to clear it cannot hurt it. I tried the do-nothing thing a couple of years ago, but it only made the skin on my body build up and then I felt gross. If you can balance the two, I'm betting it will help, because overwashing hurts a lot.

i find the part about bacteria to be true, but i haven't seen the do nothing objective to work well at all. during my time of 6 th grade and 7 th grade i thought that acne was nothing, and i didn't really need to care about it. Then it got really bad, I touch my forehead, and dragged it across my skin and it felt like sand paper. Then i realized in Eighth Grade the importance of using acne creams, because it cleared it up in about a six month period.