Notifications
Clear all

AcneJean's Log

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 05/25/2008 4:06 pm

You can always PM me if you have any questions.

IT TOOK ME 3 MONTHS ON THIS DIET TO SEE ANY IMPROVEMENTS.

*If you're interested in a Verilux acne light, PM me

Please, take the time to read the this entry. I don't think it is necessary to look through every single page.

(I highly suggest you check my photo gallery if the links on this entry are broken!)

After a year of having this blog, I believe my skin cleared up from my diet. I eliminated my food allergens that were acquired from an allergy test and stopped having cystic acne. Having the right skincare helped my skin also. I sadly have to say that removing my cats from my house has helped my skin too. Cats came up on my allergy test and one month after they were absent, the cystic pimples I would get on the side of my face went away. The allergy from the cats would create inflammation in my body. I would also have ear infections and be sick a lot because of it.

Vitamins/Pills I take:

Zinc [100 mg] (Stopped taking it in mid 2010)

Orthotricyclen Lo (Started in late 2006)

Probiotic

Chromium 1000 mg (Stopped in mid 2010)

Spironolactone 100 mg (Started taking it in September 2010)

Minocycline 100 mg (Started taking it in October 2010)

Update: The Minocycline antibiotic gave me stomach ulcers. While it helped my skin, it made my body too acidic which gave me the ulcers and GI problems. I stopped it back in April 2011. I regret going on it.

What I put on my face (what I liked):

Papaya Likas Soap

PCA Pigment Bar

Raw Honey

Neem oil (only on huge cystic pimples)

BP 10% Spot Treatment (staple item)

Sea Salt + Water Spot Treatment

50% & 70% Lactic peels 1-2x a week (not anymore)

15% TCA peels

Just water

DHC cleansing oil - drying, but good for removing makeup

Bioderma makeup remover - LOVE.

Jane Iredale Powder Me Spf 30 if you need sunscreen. Everyday Minerals was my go to mineral makeup, but it oxidizes on me. However, never broke me out.

(I do not recommend a BP 10% wash because it may cause too much irritation and leaves red marks LONGER. BP 10% forms free-radicals and can damage your skin but I love spot treatments too much.)

My diet:

Sugar is a major cause of acne for me. I did an experiment by eating a box of sugary candy when my skin was relatively clear and in the next couple of days, I broke out badly. When my acne was at its worst, around 2006-2007, I was eating ice cream (dairy-sugar), fruit juices (sugar), frozen dinners (processed), and junk food (no nutritional value and chemicals) every single day. I had no idea that my diet could have any relation to my skin. I thought it was only because of my hormones. You may think fruit juices are healthy, but it can have more sugar than a can of soda and only 10% juice. Having a high fat diet, even healthy fats, increases the oil on my face and ends up with clogged pores. I read that people with acne have problems with processing fats. Taking vitamin B5 will help that by creating more Coenzyme A, which helps with metabolizing fat and decreasing the oil on your face. However, I do not take B5. I tried overdosing on that in the past, but it was too many pills for me and I didn't want to deal with that since I was happy with my skin.

High Glycemic Index foods are a no no! This connects with sugar. When you eat foods like that, your blood sugar spikes and everything will get out of whack. Carbs contain sugar, believe it or not. Your vegetables and fruits contain sugar and can create a response. The worst foods to spike your blood sugar is processed foods like white bread, cereals and white flour. White flour is useless for nutrition in your body and only creates inflammation which you want to avoid. Please, don't listen to the commercials that say cereal is healthy, it is far from it. They just stick fake minerals and vitamins in it. I did a test with eating potatoes in my meals and ending up breaking out. Potatoes have a high G.I and so do bananas. When I was trying to get down green smoothies, bananas were the only thing that made them drinkable, but I started to notice I was breaking out more like on my chin. Bananas have a lot of sugar in them and many people connect them with chin break outs. I currently avoid fruits. I am not a sugar person. After changing my diet, I don't have a craving for sugar. Sugar is so bad for you. It is connected to obesity and the inflammation it creates can lead to other diseases.

I am sensitive to iodine also. Foods that include iodine are kelp, dairy, eggs, strawberries, spinach, meat, fish, poultry and salt. I have eaten all of those foods, but no longer do because I have connected them to break outs in the past. I used to follow Dr. Perricone's diet of eating salmon everyday, but I was still breaking out badly and when I cut out salmon, my breakouts subsided. I believe that was because salmon has iodine in it. That is why going vegan is your best bet to getting clear, for me anyways. Iodine is a known mineral to create acne. That is why it is so sad seeing people reading on a specific website that encourages iodine therapy where you take high doses of it. Everyone on that complains of debilitating breakouts, give up and end up with the scars of it. I took spirulina. Spirulina is the hottest new health food saying it the most healthiest thing in the world. It may be, but again, not for someone with acne. Spirulina has a high amount of iodine and the second day on it, I woke up with 7-12 new pimples. I asked people online why it would do that and they said it was just my body cleansing itself. I am glad I didn't believe them and just stopped. That is why you need to research everything you put in your body or you'll end up with the consequences I did. Another example of how iodine was snuck into my diet, was when I tried Astaxanthin. Again, Astaxanthin was marketed out to be the healthiest antioxidant in the world, even helping cancer. Hey, if it can help cancer, it can surely help acne, right? Hmm, not really. It is a micro algae which contains iodine. It also comes from fish, again, containing iodine.

I am sensitive to wheat. Everyone is saying how whole wheat is the most healthy thing in the world! Well, not if you have acne. For all you know, that could be a big trigger if you have an allergy to it. It doesn't even have to be the throat closing allergic reaction. It can be a simple sinus headache, like I would get. After I would eat whole wheat pasta, I would get a horrible headache right between my eyes. I later got an allergy test and wheat came up on the list. They say that wheat can create a spike in blood sugar and results in the production of too much insulin, causing inflammation. This again, connects to sugar. Inflammation is a major cause of acne. If you are eating bad foods or allergic to them, they will create inflammation. Even eating bad foods can disrupt hormones and create acne.

I avoid soy. The hot new food item is soy and I am staying away. I used to drink soy milk and eat soy products until I read that it can disrupt your hormones in both males and females. Soy is also the highest contaminated and GMO (genetically modified, not good) food. Having it listed on my allergy test helps me avoid it too, ha.

In 2009, I finally got an allergy food test. What they do is the prick test. They take little needles with the food enzyme on it and prick your back. If it gets inflamed, you are allergic. If they aren't sure if you're allergic, they can draw blood from your arm and test it that way. My results were: wheat, oats, corn, rice, soy, tomato and strawberry. Wheat and corn and rice are all grains, so that doesn't surprise me. However, I still eat brown rice a lot and do notice a sinus headache afterward, but don't break out from it. I really hope people with acne start getting this more often!

I avoid dairy. It should be common knowledge that dairy contributes to acne. There are many studies on it. Dairy can create acne because it is laden with hormones. People with acne already have a problem with their own hormones, so the added hormones from the dairy is not helping you! Milk comes from pregnant cows, so the hormones from the pregnant cows are being fed into your body as DHT. DHT is a hormone that causes acne. I did an experiment to see if dairy was a cause of my acne in the past. I am lactose intolerant, so I avoided milk for the longest time. I added cheese into my diet for 1 week and started breaking out along my jawline and chin. I was clear during the time before the cheese, therefore I know the cheese was the culprit. I used to live off ice cream, so I know how hard it is to end your love affair with it. There are many alternatives to dairy! There is rice milk, almond milk, even oat milk. If you want to ween yourself from ice cream, try coconut milk ice cream. I personally avoid all ice cream because the sugar will break me out.

I have tried a countless number of vitamins and minerals. I have a huge box in my kitchen containing all the vitamins that I thought would clear my skin. This includes, selenium, b-complex, green tea, black cohosh, vitamin a, c, d, e, evening primrose oil, fish oil, calcium, b12, b6, ginko, psyillium husks, msm, alpha lipoic acid, DMAE, chromium, zinc and milk thistle. That's a lot of vitamins and a lot of money down the drain. I wouldn't have cared so much if the only bad thing I got from it was money loss, but that wasn't the only bad thing that happened. I have had bad reactions to DMAE, ginko, fish oil and milk thistle. The worst was DMAE, hands down. I read that it can make depression worse, but I didn't think it would do anything to me. I took it for about 2-3 days and by the third day, I felt the most depressed I had ever felt in my entire life. It scared me so much. I am so glad I knew it was the DMAE. Ginko biloba said it was an antioxidant that can help fight free radicals, so I thought that was good for me. I ended up having really bad jitters and felt nervous the whole time. I had the same reaction with green tea since it contains caffeine. Caffeine is not good for you or your skin. Every single time I started taking fish oil, I ended up with huge cystic acne that were the size of a dime. I have tried it more than once to see if it was just a coincidence, but it wasn't. That is proof my body doesn't like fats. Milk thistle was a bad thing to choose when on birth control. I have been on birth control since late 2006 to try and help my acne. I do enjoy taking my birth control because I can skip my period and when I'm on my period, I break out a lot. Milk thistle cleans out your liver and won't accept the birth control. I ended up with huge break outs because of it. I have been taking Zinc for a year now. It is known to help repair the skin and help with inflammation. It is not a cure all seeing how I still broke out on it.

In a nut shell, I avoid:

-dairy,

-processed foods like t.v dinners,

-fast food,

-refined sugar,

-wheat,

-corn,

-soy,

-inflammation promoting foods,

-meat,

-fish,

-poultry,

-eggs,

-fruit juices,

-iodine,

-tomatoes,

-high G.I foods (potatoes, rice, white flour, etc),

-things that have ingredients I can't pronounce or isn't natural.

Ask yourself before choosing a meal, "Will this hurt or help my body?" Let's face it, there's no nutrition in cookies or cheetos. I believe sugar is a BIG part of the diet you should cut down on. Why is this important? Because a rapid rise in blood sugar causes an insulin response in the body, which then causes an inflammatory response. Acne is inflammatory.

Summary of my skin type

Typical story of getting it at 13, accutane at 15, came back.

The first photo I have of my acne

My breakouts first started on my forehead and nose then migrated to my cheeks and finally on my jaw line and mouth.

I have sensitive skin so benzoyl peroxide washes and spot treating with salicylic acid would give me chemical burns.

Photos from 2006-2007 with acne at its worst

Prom

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 05/27/2008 11:55 am

i've noticed that my skin is healing faster after being on vitamins. it's actually a little scary seeing how my skin tightens after the short period of time, ha.

i did have maybe two pimples pop up since saturday but i think it was because i was in chicago and wasn't eating very healthy things like beef sandwich and fries with a root beer ha.

i put SA on it + BP and it hasn't gotten a head on it yet.

ugh, i havent gotten sleep in DAYS because the stupid people upstairs are walking on the floor at all hours of the night. makes me go crazy because so many things are connected to sleep and health

post-67841-1211907862_thumb.jpgpost-67841-1211907891_thumb.jpg

the left side looks bad and infected it just the lighting and i have maybe two pimples active but a lot of red marks

post-67841-1211908018_thumb.jpghuge cyst!

post-67841-1211907862_thumb.jpg

post-67841-1211907891_thumb.jpg

post-67841-1211908018_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@armani4)

Posted : 05/30/2008 6:33 am

i've noticed that my skin is healing faster after being on vitamins. it's actually a little scary seeing how my skin tightens after the short period of time, ha.

i did have maybe two pimples pop up since saturday but i think it was because i was in chicago and wasn't eating very healthy things like beef sandwich and fries with a root beer ha.

i put SA on it + BP and it hasn't gotten a head on it yet.

ugh, i havent gotten sleep in DAYS because the stupid people upstairs are walking on the floor at all hours of the night. makes me go crazy because so many things are connected to sleep and health

post-67841-1211907862_thumb.jpgpost-67841-1211907891_thumb.jpg

the left side looks bad and infected it just the lighting and i have maybe two pimples active but a lot of red marks

post-67841-1211908018_thumb.jpghuge cyst!

hey, good luck with all this. i love picture regiments, hahah, i'll def be watching to see how this turns out.

btw, your third picture looks like a nipple hah.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 05/30/2008 10:37 am

large photo in high-res:

[the biggest mark is the "huge nipple looking cyst" lol]

i have also bought bio-oil and when i woke up some of my "chicken skin" under my eyes were half gone which freaked me out because i didn't expect it to target that.

i also bought a baby brush and asprin for a mask.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/04/2008 10:51 am

-sigh-

i broke out on my chin and next to my mouth.

of course with time the cysts have gone down.

i wasn't able to go grocery shopping so i broke out because i had to eat peanut butter from the jar and milk chocolate powder mix. how ghetto.

i'm going shopping tomorrow and have a huge list of things i can buy.

this site: http://www.naturalnews.com/012860.html has helped.

MemberMember
(@corrine-1980)

Posted : 06/04/2008 10:38 pm

-sigh-

i wasn't able to go grocery shopping so i broke out because i had to eat peanut butter from the jar and milk chocolate powder mix. how ghetto.

haha .. sounds like my case.. hate going out because of pimples..

also has redness and cyst on my temple.. both right and left.. and I just went for facial yesterday. The therapist took it out.. and now both my temples looks so red and bumpy..

Jiayo (all the best) to you and your vitamin regimen.

Btw.. how much(how many mg) of Vitamin do you take everyday?

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/05/2008 10:38 am

-sigh-

haha .. sounds like my case.. hate going out because of pimples..

also has redness and cyst on my temple.. both right and left.. and I just went for facial yesterday. The therapist took it out.. and now both my temples looks so red and bumpy..

Jiayo (all the best) to you and your vitamin regimen.

Btw.. how much(how many mg) of Vitamin do you take everyday?

umm i take a lot of vitamins, a,b,c,d,e.. flaxseed.. i take whatever they recommend on the bottle.

i always hear how it seems to get worse after a facial. i would expect that though. maybe it'll die down tomorrow?

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/06/2008 10:05 am

i wrote this half asleep so if it is hard to make out, that's why.

this is my diet for years:

i never bought fruits or vegetables. i only got my vegetables from my processed marie callendar's frozen dinners which wasn't much.

i would buy frozen pizzas and in the beginning of high school i would always eat an entire pizza for myself.

i would always have velveeta. i stilll miss that to this day. i love cheese. i loved cheeze its too.

i remember buying spinach pizza because my dad thought it was healthy. i was skeptical especially when i found out each little personal pan pizza was 700 calories and didn't even taste good!

my cereal was normally full of sugar and unnatural flavors. i LIVED off pop tarts. i always had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or toast on white bread with butter.

popcorn was a normal thing too. movie theater popcorn style.

i always bought drumstick ice cream. pastaroni and salt filled soups. the juices i would buy were either filled with sugars or lemonade.

i never bought milk ..rarely.. because i was lactose intolerant.

cookies was all around too. chips ahoy or keebler.

i loved cheetos or lays potato chips.

ah, i miss all these, ha

now i have raisins and fruits to substitute my cookies. whole grain pasta for my velveeta.

i buy lettuce and canned vegetables.

i never knew about whole grain wheat products and stuck with white floured things.

i never suspected that acne was because of the food,.

just blamed it on my hormones.

shredded wheat cereal, lactose free milk, no ice cream, brown rice, healthy request soup, always looking for low sodium, salads,

green beans, corn, granola bars, breaded fish, water and no juices, yogurt, cottage cheese, canned fruits, vitamins, no pizza..

i'm surprised i dont weigh 200 pounds by this but i was never remotely overweight. if anything i was always under.

but i paid the price by having it show through my skin.

i am so happy i found the healthy way and just researched on how much junk america is putting in their bodies.

i sometimes catch a glimpse of people's shopping carts and it's kinda funny.

i see a couple healthy things and then bam, cookies, chips, soda.

why get low fat something when you're canceling it out with a sip of soda?

MemberMember
(@ashley76)

Posted : 06/06/2008 9:40 pm

I'm have just started a very similar regimen. My acne looks really similar to yours. Good luck and keep posting your progress.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/06/2008 9:46 pm

I'm have just started a very similar regimen. My acne looks really similar to yours. Good luck and keep posting your progress.

oo interesting. do you have a log? keep me posted

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/07/2008 11:36 am

update:

last night i put on an aspirin mask and since it was flaking off, i surely couldn't sleep in it. i brushed it off but didn't wash it off and went to sleep with globs of neosporin on the healing pimples.

the only pimple i have is on my chin. otherwise all the rest are red and healing

MemberMember
(@ashley76)

Posted : 06/07/2008 10:24 pm

Just started one but no pictures... yet. I'm thinking about putting pictures. I'm having trouble figuring out what to eat with no dairy. I oftern eat a little snack either with cheese or butter or some cereal with milk or some yogurt. I'm so used to eating that way. Guess this will take some getting used to.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Starting-...in-t200523.html

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/07/2008 10:28 pm

Just started one but no pictures... yet. I'm thinking about putting pictures. I'm having trouble figuring out what to eat with no dairy. I oftern eat a little snack either with cheese or butter or some cereal with milk or some yogurt. I'm so used to eating that way. Guess this will take some getting used to.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Starting-...in-t200523.html

i used to love butter but there are so many different options then dairy. you should buy lactiad. it is lactose free milk but sometimes dean's lactose free milk is cheaper. you should get shredded wheat or low sugar cereal. if you get yogurt make sure it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup like in all the yoplait yogurt. they do have plain which doesn't have h.f.c.s and you can even put a lot of fruit in it.

i stick with fruits rather than dairy now. have to watch out for sugar since it's linked to acne the most.. probably more than salt.

MemberMember
(@ashley76)

Posted : 06/09/2008 9:49 pm

what's h.f.c.s? do you know if eggs are just as bad as milk? cheese too huh? you can see this might be hard. but i'll get used to it.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/09/2008 9:54 pm

high fructose corn syrup. i've read eggs are bad but you can search to be sure and most likely cheese too since it's dairy.

i have posted a list of foods they recommend.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2314556

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/11/2008 5:45 pm

ha. i had this weird binge for the past week and it wasn't good. i had too much fruit and felt addicted to sugar because i needed to eat every hour.

i don't even want to imagine the calorie intake.

stupid stupid stupid. i broke out really bad.

it could be 1000's things and that's what upsets me the most.

stress, things rubbed against my face by accident, sleep, so many things.

i'm taking wheat out of my diet again and uping my vitamin c intake.

i'm sick or on the verge.

i'm going to change my fish intake from cod fillet to wild salmon and going to try frozen vegetables.

i'm pretty clueless when it comes to vegetables and only buy canned corn, green beans and peas with the occasional kidney beans.

i have a trip to chicago on saturday so i hope these constant aloe+aspirin masks help.

MemberMember
(@ashley76)

Posted : 06/11/2008 7:08 pm

high fructose corn syrup. i've read eggs are bad but you can search to be sure and most likely cheese too since it's dairy.

thanks! you sure have done your homework. i broke out today and I'm thinking it has a lot to do with hair products because it always seems to be in the area where my hair falls near my face. Have you read anything about that? which products are good or bad etc?

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/11/2008 7:55 pm

thanks! you sure have done your homework. i broke out today and I'm thinking it has a lot to do with hair products because it always seems to be in the area where my hair falls near my face. Have you read anything about that? which products are good or bad etc?

i dont use any hair products and normally keep my hair out of my face. i always read how you should buy natural shampoo and you can find a thread on here about it. all i know about hair and acne is you need to keep it out of your face. i had bangs and i always had acne under there. once i grew mine out i never break out on my forehead.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/13/2008 4:38 pm

when i woke up this morning i noticed the black heads on my nose were huge and every pore was taken up. i don't like buying the nose strips because they are like 8 bucks. i tried using a new electric toothbrush head and putting a scrub on it but it hasn't done much.

i've been using asirprin masks with aloe for this week and i guess it has helped. i noticed the pimples are inflamed which is understandable.

i'm soaking my face in neosporin for the whole day because tomorrow i'm going to chicago to see my sister.

ugh, i hope i don't look like a fool with crusty skin.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/16/2008 9:49 am

my skin wasn't GREAT with makeup but i am sick of letting acne rule my life and be the problem or set back to not let me follow through with happiness.

i was going to lie to my sister and tell her i was still sick just because of it but i'm so glad i didn't. i had a blast and the fact she relates to me helped a lot.

i realized that the reason my face would get oily so fast is because the minereal viel wasn't put on first. duh.

i ate so much bad stuff. they told me to live a little so i did. i ate 3 slices of deep dish pizza, little tub of ice cream, cinnamon pretzel, french toast, bacon, eggs, sweet and sour chicken with rice.

that over a span of two days. so well see how much diet will add to my acne.

my sister has had acne like me but she's now 25. it isn't even that bad. she has no scars, just red marks that are tiny. obviously from hormones because she donates eggs and all that crazy stuff.

i have been thinking about trying a red/blue therapy light or zeno.

idk about zeno because you need to catch the pimple right away and it's a spot treatment while red/blue light therapy can get your whole face.

it's so pricey so idk.

MemberMember
(@ashley76)

Posted : 06/16/2008 10:42 pm

i ate so much bad stuff. they told me to live a little so i did. i ate 3 slices of deep dish pizza, little tub of ice cream, cinnamon pretzel, french toast, bacon, eggs, sweet and sour chicken with rice.

that over a span of two days. so well see how much diet will add to my acne.

I'm about to post something just like this. I had a relaxing bacon-filled weekend as well. My skin seems to already be responding.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/17/2008 7:39 pm

i don't know what i am going to do or really what the problem is for my makeup to always come on uneven. of course it means my skin tone is uneven but i don't know how to fix that!

great facial expression, i know

that's what it's like with makeup over it. i stopped caring as much because i was only leaving to go tanning and would see someone else for 5 seconds anyways. when i was in chicago the lighting in their bathroom was great and i could see it better. i must not be applying enough. i wish i could change the lighting in my current bathroom, ugh

i exfoliate but i guess that's not enough.

i've been going tanning everyday so the redness isn't anything new.

this is what i ate today:

strawberries

broccoli

sunflower kernals

pineapple

peach

salmon

corn

jello

i tried salmon the first time tonight and it was great.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/19/2008 6:05 pm

starting to use bio-oil + cerave + clean and clear wash [bp] instead of cetaphil wash.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/22/2008 4:16 pm

i plan on buying http://www.amazon.com/Verilux-ClearWave-De...t/dp/B0001ATEJC asap.

i think my face exploded because of last week, makes sense.

i am never drinking coffee again.

i'm stopping bp washes because my face has been too irritated and red so i'm going back to cetaphil wash. i was off birth control for a couple days so that could be by i broke out also

but i don't know why i have such HORRIBLE and painful jawline cystic acne. it's literally on my jawline in a row, ha. :(

i seriously need a good meditation .mp3 or torrent because all these ones i'm finding don't really help.

i have been so stressed out and locked up in the house with no sleep. it's draining.

oh and i believe eating pineapples have caused the cystic acne because i would always eat and still get it so it has to be connected.

MemberMember
(@acnejean)

Posted : 06/28/2008 3:00 pm

i wasn't able to buy BP this week so i'm using aloe gel on the pimples. it's fine i guess.

i've been sleeping with aspirin masks for two night. using grape fruit seed extract and cetaphil wash.

i had shrimp last night so i hope the iodine content isn't too high...