Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So after reading on the forums for awile I saw that many people take these fish oil pills and zinc pills with good results. Well since fish oil is omega-3 thats obviously good for the skin and I hear zinc is suppose to be good as well so I figured I would give it a shot.

However, BEFORE I take any I was just wondering how I should take them (how many of each and how often)

I have tons of these tiny bumps or under skin acne that are really only visible when your up close but they NEVER go away. All they do is stay, I eventually get frustrated and pick them out, then they leave marks then they come back AGAIN. I was wondering if these pills would do anything for those? I saw a few posts of people saying that it made them bring out all their underskin acne so should I expect to breakout while taking these but overtime see results?

Thanks for any help.

i had a bad breakout after taking fish oil capsules so i immediately stopped. iv heard that liquid fish oil is a better alternative think the most popular brand name is carsons or carlsons.

the under skin acne ur talking about, are they red spots or jus lil bumps, where abouts are they on your face? coz im a week into using "anew retexturing peel" wipes from avon with excellent results, they are clearing away the post acne marks and bumpy skin, seems to be closing pors on upper cheeck and around nose and clearing blackheads. if your spots are just non inflammed bumps, these may help you out.

i wouldnt recommned fish oil capsules

i had a bad breakout after taking fish oil capsules so i immediately stopped. iv heard that liquid fish oil is a better alternative think the most popular brand name is carsons or carlsons.

the under skin acne ur talking about, are they red spots or jus lil bumps, where abouts are they on your face? coz im a week into using "anew retexturing peel" wipes from avon with excellent results, they are clearing away the post acne marks and bumpy skin, seems to be closing pors on upper cheeck and around nose and clearing blackheads. if your spots are just non inflammed bumps, these may help you out.

i wouldnt recommned fish oil capsules

I WOULD recommend them. Take about 500 mg twice a day. It has GREATLY reduced my redness, among other health benefits, my metabolism has sped up greatly also.

fish oil made my skin really realllly oil. i stopped and i cleared up faster. i take zinc tho. that's good for me. it really help speed up my healing.

I WOULD recommend them. Take about 500 mg twice a day. It has GREATLY reduced my redness, among other health benefits, my metabolism has sped up greatly also.

It's up to you to find out what works for you. I work out religiously and it has more benefits than negatives (fish oil).

On a side note:

Humans are so wired for instant gratification. No one here ever really considers anything except vanity. I've found that just not caring that you have acne and re-framing your entire situation can yield the greatest results; trust me, I never noticed anyone with acne until I got it. I used to be so down because I didn't have great skin, and eventually developed a very healthy lifestyle. When my hormones balance and I finally grow out of it, I will be so much better off from all the good habits I've developed...

anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, just re-frame your acne, don't think of it as a bad thing, everyone has their own course and purpose in life, this is here to help you grow, make you a better person for living through it. I'll give you my re-frame for it (write this down somewhere, post it beside your computer, re-programming your mind to believe this and it'll begin to clear, or you won't even care anymore) : "My acne exists as a handicap because if it didn't life would be unfair to everyone else."

It's up to you to find out what works for you. I work out religiously and it has more benefits than negatives (fish oil).

On a side note:

Humans are so wired for instant gratification. No one here ever really considers anything except vanity. I've found that just not caring that you have acne and re-framing your entire situation can yield the greatest results; trust me, I never noticed anyone with acne until I got it. I used to be so down because I didn't have great skin, and eventually developed a very healthy lifestyle. When my hormones balance and I finally grow out of it, I will be so much better off from all the good habits I've developed...

anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, just re-frame your acne, don't think of it as a bad thing, everyone has their own course and purpose in life, this is here to help you grow, make you a better person for living through it. I'll give you my re-frame for it (write this down somewhere, post it beside your computer, re-programming your mind to believe this and it'll begin to clear, or you won't even care anymore) : "My acne exists as a handicap because if it didn't life would be unfair to everyone else."

I definitely want to try zinc. I'm 15, with zits on my forehead (around 15) and whiteheads around my chin, and want good results. My period starts in a couple of days, so I see why I broke out. My forehead may clear up. Fish oil has helped me. I take the fish oil with 1000 mg with Omega 3 fatty acids. I went three days without it, and my skin must have had "withdrawls". Hopefully, after my period ends, my breakout will be more under control. :pray:

Important about zinc..Do Not take more than 50mg a day!!! The pills are usually sold as that, so take only 1 of them each day in the morning. Too much zinc is a bad thing...

The fish oil pills you take are most likely not 1300mg. Look on the back of the bottle and see how much Omega 3 is in them as the Omega 3 is the real help for your skin. Chances are it is only like 300 or 400mg. So base your intake off of that number, not the one on the front of the label. And the American Heart Association recommends taking up to 4 grams a day of Omega 3, so I usually take around 2-3 grams. And at 300mg a capsule, taking 10 a day seems a little overkill, but the results are worth it. Take half of them after breakfast, and half after dinner for best results or split them up more and have a few after each of your three meals. Always take them with food in your stomach, that will allow them to do their job more efficiently.

I hope this helps :surprised:

I personally did not see any improvement while using Fish oil and I'm fairly certain it made me more oily as it seems to do for some others. But it's definitely an extremely healthy supplement to take otherwise and has a ton of health benefits. I'd find it hard to believe that fish oil would be the cause for breakouts but I suppose it could cause an initial purge of some kind.

Zinc is the only thing I've ever taken where I can actually see a definite improvement though. Not that it cures me of getting any breakouts but when I do get the occasional pimple it heals much faster than it ever did before taking Zinc. It's also excellent in helping the inflamed red types heal faster. I take 50 mg a day. I also take 1000mg of Vitamin C a day which I think helps my acne cycle through faster and heal quicker as well.