Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gearhead

Weekly Exfoliation

Hey there.

I just had a question about exfoliation. I'm currently on the "Water regimen" and my skin is basically acne-free, I just have some red/brown marks left over. I am done with using any kind of cleanser on a daily basis, they just make my skin worse over time. However, I'm seeing quite a bit of dead skin and I've been trying to do manual exfoliation doing hot/cold presses but the skin seems to stay around. It's hardly noticeable unless I'm looking very close in the mirror but I don't want the dry/dead skin to cause any breakouts and it's also probably making my marks look more red and dried out.

Just wondering if there are any products out there based on using them once or twice a week to exfoliate/remove dead skin cells. I was thinking of using Aqua Glycolic, as it's a very gentle exfoliator and helps with red marks to an extent but I'm not sure if it would be ok to use it once a week. I'm a little worried if I use a product now that I've been off any products for about 3 weeks with good results that I might get a break out. So are there any products out there (preferably without tons of chemicals/acids) that are made for a weekly exfoliation or any other methods I can use to get this dead skin off my face without making my situation worse?

Thanks.

I use the Dove exfoliator vibrator thingy. I dont really know what its called.. But, i know it gets off the dead skin that it left on my face. After a few times of using it i noticed my skin got soft and smooth, and i did not experience any breakouts from irritation or anything. I use it once a day, and i noticed when i dont use it or skip a day the dead/dry skin comes back.

I would recommend(sp?) it, but everyones skin differs.

I want to exfoliate as well, but I'm also nervous about it. (On the Water Regimen) Tell us how it goes.

The baby's hair brush method is very nice. Adding in a chemical exfoliant would likely cause an initial breakout so I'd be careful about adding one in.

The baby's hair brush method is very nice. Adding in a chemical exfoliant would likely cause an initial breakout so I'd be careful about adding one in.

I wish I knew what that was, or how it worked. I would try.

Thanks for the replies. I may try the baby brush method. I'm a little too lazy to make a trip out to find one though but I guess I could just get one online.

I have a feeling that the reason I'm seeing so much dead/dry skin is because I just got off using products for like 8-9 months so I think my skin is reacting to it and trying to get used to no creams/cleanser. Part of me wants to give it more time and see if any of the dead skin will just go away with washing eventually but it's pretty frustrating to have sitting around.

Would a Toner work to remove dead skin? Again, I'm a little nervous to add chemicals into this routine but I want to exfoliate just once to test if the dead skin will come back with the same abundance, I have a feeling it won't. I might have just gotten an initially large amount of dead/dry skin because of the new water-only regimen being started. I feel I just need one really thorough exfoliation and I'd be set for a while. I guess a facial is another possibility but as a 21 year old male student I feel a little weird getting one.

Either way I think I'll wait another week or so and keep washing twice a day. If I'm still seeing the same thing I'll try out the baby brush method and update this.

Thanks again