Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baby pink

not liking doxycycline..

I've taken doxycycline for two weeks now about and I'm not liking it. I don't have the bad stomach side effects, although I've had IBS for years so maybe it just isn't noticeable! but I seem to be breaking out more from the doxy. I take it totally as directed.. 100mg once a day on an EMPTY stomach and no vitamins/supplements for at least like a 6 hour window after the doxy. I don't drink milk either. But I think doxycycline is making things worse. Did anyone have better success with another antibiotic? Topically I use Clindamycin in the morning and Differin at night. Cetaphil gentle cleanser as a wash :)

Doxy doesnt even work. You get more side effects from doxy and no relief..

Also you get an initial breakout and a breakout after you stop taking it.. just crap!! Wish I never took it and I warn everyone when they ask a question about it here on the site.

Assuming you are female I have found that good old BCP (Diane35) works wonders for acne, would prefer it over accuatane any day. Side effects of accutane are chronic not to mention dangerous??

Doxy doesnt even work. You get more side effects from doxy and no relief..

Also you get an initial breakout and a breakout after you stop taking it.. just crap!! Wish I never took it and I warn everyone when they ask a question about it here on the site.

Assuming you are female I have found that good old BCP (Diane35) works wonders for acne, would prefer it over accuatane any day. Side effects of accutane are chronic not to mention dangerous??

yeah my derm put me on Alesse BCPs but I just started taking those a week ago. I'm a hormonal mess. BCPs have failed me 3 times in the past. got pregnant 3 times while taking birth control pills. I'm the type that.. I miss one and that's it. Should I ask about Diane35? I'm 21 now. Do people ever get bad side effects? yeah accutane doesn't sound good to me but it is a last last LAST resort for me.

I would definately look into BCP. Recomendations are Yaz and Diane35 but I havent personally tried Yaz but they both work to regulate/block excess androgens.

HOWEVER your acne will worsen really badly over the first 3-4mths and you will think its not working and only making things worse. I nearly gave up around 4 mths and was afraid to even go outside without makeup on.

Great news though Im coming into my 7th cycle/month on BCP and Im at the point where I only get one pimple just before my AF.. I suffer really bad comedomal acne and I dont get that anymore, my face used to feel like braile and I would pick and dig just to clear the pores now its smooth as babys butt but with scaring damage from the picking and digging. Glycolic acid has worked wonders for the scarring as it works by peeling the top layer of skin speeding up skin cell renewal. However there are side effect to these BCPs too as some people cant take them if they have blood clot or stroke risk. I mean unless I have to come off BCP or want a baby I will be taking it indefinately.

Bad skin is damaging to ones confidence and self image, its just not worth it..

i've been on a variety of antibiotics over the past few years for acne, and i can say that doxycycline was hands down my least favorite. it didn't seem to be very effective when i was on it, and even after carefully weaning off i suffered a breakout after discontinuing use. i had a similar experience with minocycline, but it was still preferable to doxycline -- i experienced a ton of nausea on it, especially if i didn't eat.