Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dee dee

15 years of acne -be gone! Finished! Pic updated 9/10/09

Hey you are making good progress! I am doing the low-dose thing too, and I have to agree with you that it is definitely the way to go! Our progress sounds the same, just as I think my skin is looking really good, I get a breakout! Good luck at the derm

Ok, so the sore throat is really bad today :(

Luckily I am going to the derm tomorrow and I'm going to have her look at my throat. (she used to be a general practitioner so I am assuming she will be able to give a good assessment of what's going on.)

Today I woke up with a bloody lip, crusty blood in my nose and the horrid sore throat. I thought maybe my throat was just dry because everything else is so dry, but even after a ton of water, some tea with honey and some throat drops it just feels raw. I guess I could be coming down with something. I am just afraid it is something serious. I know, probably being paranoid... but this Accutane is serious stuff!

My skin looks so freaking good, I hope that I can just tolerate the side effects for another 5 months. ha ha. I just put a little concealer on the 3 spots (yes, only 3 spots!) that I have, and some mineral powder and I was good to go. The spots that I do have are all dry, just red... no actives, woo hoo for me!

Can't believe I've finished the first month, so not looking forward to the blood test/iPledge crap in the next couple of days, oh well... the price of good skin!

Well, onto month 2! Went to the derm today and got my next prescription... didn't even have to take a blood test (phew!). I hate the iPledge so much. I still need to fill out my questions online, but my airhead of a derm hasn't filled out her part yet, even though she said it'd be done by the time I got home. I'll probably have to call just like last month.

Good news (I guess it's good) is that my sore throat isn't Accutane related. She said my left tonsil was inflamed and my glands in my neck are swollen. If I still feel crummy in a couple days she said she'd call in a prescription for antibiotics for me.

Just the usual still (other than the throat). Dry, dry, dry lips, eyes and nose... and generally achy and tired. Fun fun.

A couple of new (painful!!!) cysts on my forehead, but my cheeks are really clear, which I am super happy about... hoping the scarring on my cheeks just keeps getting better.

only 5 months left!

Picked up month 2 today. That $300 a month is brutal... yikes!

Sore throat not any better today, I'm going to try to get through the weekend without antibiotics. We'll see how it goes. Other than the few cysts on my forehead there is nothing new, everything drying out more and more by the hour it seems.

The gross dry patches on the corner of my mouth have returned... don't know why they went away and then came back. With the warmer weather I haven't been as into the moisturizer as I should be, I guess I need to use it even if I don't want to.

Does Accutane make your scars fade? The scars on my cheeks are so red. Is this something that will go away after time, or something I will need laser treatment for? I know it's so early in the game to be thinking about the scars since the immediate goal is to get rid of the acne, but I am really as self conscious about the scars as the actual cysts 'cause they are so prominent.

$300.00 a month!!!!!! Oh my goodness that is a lot of money! Thank god for insurance or I would pay $650.00 a month as oppossed to my $10 co-pay. I have red a lot on the message boards here about peoples scars becoming redder while they are on accutane. I think it has to do with yours skin being so thin and sensative that it makes the old scars look redder. I too have noticed my scars being more noticeable but hey atleast we are not getting as many pimples right? I think a few months after your course your skin will go back to its normal tone (not so red) so your scars will look less red as well. I would take it one step at a time though like you mentioned, just worry about getting over your course then focus on getting rid of the scars once your skin is back to normal.

Good news: Skin is looking better by the day

Bad news: I feel like crap.

On the skin front I have only one new little (painful!) cyst on my jawline, and some new ones on my back. Everything else is getting drier, smaller and more faded by the day. Awesome.

On the health/side effect front things are not going as well. I am still plagued by the sore throat/ear ache which is not getting better, but not really any worse. I am not an antibiotic taker at all. I hate them, they make me feel more miserable, totally wear down my immune system and I end up feeling worse. I am giving it a couple more days before I go to the doctor.

I also burned the roof of my mouth 2 days ago and it is not better yet! Anyone else feel like things don't heal as quickly?

Ugh, I just feel crummy! I know this is all part of the process, but I feel like I am practically out of commission. Everything hurts, I am tired, dried out and crabby. Boo hoo! :boohoo:

This is such a good place to vent, thanks for reading!

WARNING: Lots of complaining ahead! (and a total rant of all things GIRL!)

Ugh! My face is really bad all of a sudden... what happened? I have 13 cysts right now... yes, thirteen! I went from zero to 13 in a matter of hours. My face hurts so bad and looks even worse. I don't know if it is second IB of if it is hormonal. I always break out right before my period, but I don't know if it's ever been this bad. I just want to cry!

We saw family this weekend. I know it is so self absorbed, but I just felt so dorky and ugly and totally didn't want to be around anyone. My in-laws are much more high maintenance than I have ever been, and I always try to look extra nice around them... the accutane pretty much makes it impossible for me to look nice. The 13 new zits didn't make matters any better... plus having my period adds a whole new level of self-consciousness. My eyebrows are out of control. I'm pasty pasty white (yes, so white I need to use the word pasty twice to get the point across). My fingernails and toenails are in terrible shape, and no amount of moisturizer is helping. I've stopped painting them, as the remover seems to really irritate my skin right now. They are really short because they keep breaking. I totally need to shave my legs (sorry TMI), but I seem to get terrible razor burn because they are so dry. They are also all beat up looking 'cause every single thing that touches them leaves a mark. My friend so eloquently referred to them as "crack whore legs," which would be really mean if it wasn't so true... My hair is dry and frizzy and dirty at the same time (washing it brings a whole new level of dryness and frizz so I just leave it dirty). My lips feel like there is another set of lips sitting on top of them, and the extra set of lips are all white and peely. Lovely, huh? My lips are under there somewhere, who knows if I'll ever see them again.

My sister in law (who is 6 months pregnant) was all tan with smooth legs and nice toenails and smooth and shiny hair (and waxed eyebrows of course)... and here I am all pale, zit faced and dried out (and let's not forget my dorky braces and glasses). I just felt like a total dweeb.

My face is doing this really awesome (ha ha, not at all) thing where it flushes like a hundred times a day even if I am not embarrassed... THEN I get embarrassed!

...and the usual... tired, achy, dry... still a bit of the sore throat/earache... and thirsty thirsty thirsty.

Ok, if you've made it this far then a virtual cookie to you! Phew! I feel better now... good to get these things off of your (pasty, itchy and dried out) chest.

Cheers! -Dee

hey dee!

just wanted to send a message to encourage you- im into my second month of tane- 45 mgs and its a struggle sometimes but my skin is imporoving and i can def see a quick improvment in your skin so keep going- and hopefully your skin will just continue to improve more and more!!!

:dance:

all the best

xx

also your dog is so sweet!!!!

Aww I'm sorry things are sucking right now, Dee Dee! It really sounds like this is a second IB, and even though you'll probably hate me for saying it, it's better now than later, right? I have Rosacea and can relate to the flushing part. >_< I find sucking on an ice cube with stop a flush in its tracks.

Once Accutane gets your skin clear, maybe you could try a spray tan? I know direct sunlight is a no-no, but I've seen a lot of extremely natural-looking spray tans available. They'd probably also disguise a flush if those keep up... I'm considering a spray tan to conceal my Rosacea once my skin clears up, too. ^^;

I hope your improvement speeds up soon!

- Lauren

Sorry to hear you are not feeling too well but just try to keep your head up. Have you tried taking Vitamin E pills? I have been taking them for about a month and they are really helping keep my nails nice and strong and keeps my hair shiny. I wish I had the guts and money to get braces as I feel like my teeth look like pooh so don't feel bad you are going through a breakout and have braces, you are fixing the problems now and soon enough you will have nice teeth and skin. I wish you the best, try to stay positive!!!!

Aw, thanks guys for all the support. I am feeling better today. My face still looks gross, and my back is really broken out, too. I guess it must still be part of the IB. These are the biggest cysts (and the most painful!) that I have ever had in my life. I have 2 on my temples that are the size of dimes!

I may try the vitamin E. I haven't been taking a multi-vitamin since it has vitamin A in it and I didn't want to over-do it on the A.

Hopefully this all dies down soon. I have a big family reunion in a month and I so so much want for my skin to look good.

I think the second IB is starting to clear. The spots are much smaller and drier, though still very red. For some reason the ones on my temples are taking forever to clear and those are the most painful. Such a weird spot to get zits!

We hosted a bake sale this morning to raise money for Barack Obama. By the end of it my lips were so dry! I was literally having a hard time talking. I was so glad when it was over and I could come home and find my chapstick. I was really worried about seeing people with my face in such bad shape, but I put on a bunch of make-up and I really forgot about it for the most part. We have a wedding tonight, I hope I don't get all self conscious, these are people I haven't seen in 10 years!

I just can't wait to have clear skin!

I just got done reading this whole message board. Phewww.... I am 27 years old and I am a mother of two. I have a 6 year old and a 6 week old. I just recently started breaking out again which I think is hormone related. But before I was pregnant with my second baby I saw a derm for mild acne. She gave me retin A micro and duac topical gel and Skin Ceuticals for face wash. I only used this for 3 months before I had to stop the topical meds because of the pregnancy, but I continued the skin ceuticals face wash. My skin did great during pregnancy but now I am breaking out again on my chin. I suffer with black heads and white heads that then turn into pimples, not sure why, but i am going to try the retin-a micro again just on my chin and use the face wash. Just curious if any one has advice for treating blackheads and white heads other than what I am using.

I just got done reading this whole message board. Phewww.... I am 27 years old and I am a mother of two. I have a 6 year old and a 6 week old. I just recently started breaking out again which I think is hormone related. But before I was pregnant with my second baby I saw a derm for mild acne. She gave me retin A micro and duac topical gel and Skin Ceuticals for face wash. I only used this for 3 months before I had to stop the topical meds because of the pregnancy, but I continued the skin ceuticals face wash. My skin did great during pregnancy but now I am breaking out again on my chin. I suffer with black heads and white heads that then turn into pimples, not sure why, but i am going to try the retin-a micro again just on my chin and use the face wash. Just curious if any one has advice for treating blackheads and white heads other than what I am using.

I wish I had advice for you! I have 2 kids as well, and my skin was awesome through both pregnancies and while breastfeeding. I always had some sort of serious breakout afterward, though. I don't suffer with blackheads and whiteheads as much though, I always get the hard painful cysts which is why after all these years of fighting acne I have gone on accutane. You might want to ask advice in a different forum. Have you tried Dan's regimen? It's not expensive and it works for a lot of people!

Well, to update for today... I feel like my face is just one giant scab! I am gross, gross, gross!!! On the upside scabs mean drying out, right? I have a couple new small cysts, which sucks... what sucks even more is that they are on my cheeks, that always means more scarring for me :(

I went to my friend's wedding on Saturday and had a glass of wine... bad idea. I felt fine and then about an hour after drinking it I literally thought I was going to pass out! It was the first time I have had a drink on Accutane and it will be my last! I think I was seriously dehydrated. I drank a couple bottles of water and was ok again. I have never had anything like that happen to me, scary!

Alright, signing off to take the kids to swim lessons... all covered in spf50 and prepared to find a shady spot to sit, bottle of water in hand :)

...woke up this morning with one cheek full of scabs and the other full of whiteheads! So weird, on one side they are drying up and on the other they are exploding... gross! I know the accutane is a process, but I was just SO excited when it started clearing, and I'm so bummed that things look as bad as when I started! ...and now I look terrible and am dealing with the side effects. Right now the side effects are mostly back pain, and even a slight chest pain. I'm keeping a close eye on it, but I am definitely uncomfortable. I am also very tired and feel very, very crabby. It probably doesn't help that I stay home with 2 kids all day, but the crabbiness is pretty bad. Yesterday I just wanted to cry and sleep all day.

Last night when we were going for a walk I said to my husband that my face hurts... and his response was "it looks like it hurts!" I couldn't decide whether to be offended or be happy that for once someone wasn't saying "it doesn't look so bad." Either way I just wanted to cry. My back was hurting, I was extremely thirsty and I was having a hard time walking.

Hopefully today is a better face day. I have another orthodontist appointment today. Now I will be in some pain!

Oh, I'm sorry things are going badly for you. Just keep thinking about how things will be when the IB ends. Every day brings you closer to clear skin. ;)

Well, I think I can (knock on wood) say that IB #2 is clearing. My skin is much drier and no new bumps to report today. I skipped the heavy foundation this morning for some concealer... not that you can conceal dried out scabs, but I gave it my best shot.

Side effects are a bit better today... I can't believe how achy I've been... I made it a point to drink a ridiculous amount of water today, seems to be helping, especially with the back/chest pain.

Here's hoping there isn't a 3rd IB!

Thanks for all of your support, Deadbeat007, it means a lot!

I wish I had advice for you! I have 2 kids as well, and my skin was awesome through both pregnancies and while breastfeeding. I always had some sort of serious breakout afterward, though. I don't suffer with blackheads and whiteheads as much though, I always get the hard painful cysts which is why after all these years of fighting acne I have gone on accutane. You might want to ask advice in a different forum. Have you tried Dan's regimen? It's not expensive and it works for a lot of people!

Well, to update for today... I feel like my face is just one giant scab! I am gross, gross, gross!!! On the upside scabs mean drying out, right? I have a couple new small cysts, which sucks... what sucks even more is that they are on my cheeks, that always means more scarring for me :(

I went to my friend's wedding on Saturday and had a glass of wine... bad idea. I felt fine and then about an hour after drinking it I literally thought I was going to pass out! It was the first time I have had a drink on Accutane and it will be my last! I think I was seriously dehydrated. I drank a couple bottles of water and was ok again. I have never had anything like that happen to me, scary!

Alright, signing off to take the kids to swim lessons... all covered in spf50 and prepared to find a shady spot to sit, bottle of water in hand :)

Thank you so much for your advice. I just got done reading about Dan's regimen. I may try that. Have you tried it? I hope everything gets better for you. I wish you the best.

Thank you so much for your advice. I just got done reading about Dan's regimen. I may try that. Have you tried it? I hope everything gets better for you. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the well wishes!

I have tried Dan's regimen, and I think it may work well for you. It just didn't help with the cysts that I get, but my skin did get a lot clearer for awhile... seems like everything works for awhile and then stopped for me. Right before I went on Accutane I was using Tretinoin on my face (a heavy duty topical) and it didn't do a darn thing. I used it for a few months and it barely even dried me out.

Things are clearer by the hour it seems. I really don't want to try to put make-up over my scabbed over IB, so I was actually relieved when I woke up to rain this morning... no swimming lessons, no moms to hang out with and feel uncomfortable around, no trying to find a shady spot to sit. I can just wash my face and just bum around the house.

Well, time to finish my breakfast and take the first Tane of the day.

Thanks to all who read :)

Scabby Scab Scab!

Yuck! The scabs just won't go away. I guess at least I should be grateful they aren't active painful cysts, but some of these scabs have been hanging around for weeks. I'm a mess... and the back acne (the term bacne just grosses me out!) is worse than ever.

I was having pretty severe stomach pains like nothing I've ever had before. I thought maybe I was getting some sort of bleeding ulcer or something. It was scary. I have since cut my dose down to one pill a day (10mg) and feeling much better again. The overall tightness in my chest has subsided as well.

Guess that's all to report for now!

Today my daughter made the comment, "Mom, you sure have a lot of bug bites on your back." Sorry, sweetie, that's acne!

I have 3 new cysts on my cheeks this morning. Wah!!! When do they stop showing up? These things take forever to heal and so far have been leaving red marks that just won't subside.

I don't know if I'm feelin' blue from my stupid face or from the Tane or just 'cause it's hot out or what... but I am EEEvil today. I swear the universe is laughing at me. Nothing is going right and everyone is being a jerk. Don't F** with me or I will take you out! It's gotta be the Accutane because this is not normal for me.

Here's hoping that I wake up tomorrow in a good mood with no new zits and fading red marks.

I know this is normal, but I am SO dry! This is the worst it has been for me so far. I was using Estee Lauder products up until now, and suddenly they are stingy and making my face red! My friend sells Arbonne and I used some of their products for the first time last night... much better! Unfortunately I have even more zits this morning. I see why people get so depressed on Accutane. Sometimes you wonder if it's even working... other than the fact that I feel awful and my lips are falling off I don't see any real effects on my face. Acne that I do have seems to have become a permanent fixture. I know in 4 more months this will all have been worth it, but this part sure does suck!

I know this is normal, but I am SO dry! This is the worst it has been for me so far. I was using Estee Lauder products up until now, and suddenly they are stingy and making my face red! My friend sells Arbonne and I used some of their products for the first time last night... much better! Unfortunately I have even more zits this morning. I see why people get so depressed on Accutane. Sometimes you wonder if it's even working... other than the fact that I feel awful and my lips are falling off I don't see any real effects on my face. Acne that I do have seems to have become a permanent fixture. I know in 4 more months this will all have been worth it, but this part sure does suck!

try moisturel. And carmex for the lips. worked for me.