Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Im confused and want to know the difference between hyperpigmentation and red marks. I read somewhere about red marks being deep in the skin and hyperpigmentation is on top but I still can't tell which one I have on my face. Can someone show a picture of both or explain in detail how each looks? thanks in advance!

im curious about this as well...

Hyperpigmentation are white and redmarks are well red lol

Hyperpigmentation is not white...

Hyperpigmentation is the same thing as red marks

Hyperpigmentation is not white...

Hyperpigmentation is the same thing as red marks

Hyperpigmentation just means excess pigmentation fo the skin. It could mean redmarks, discoloration from Birth control, Melasma, Sun spots, etc Redmarks can be treated with hypergpigmentation products.

Redmark aren't necessarily hyperpigmentation.

Rule of thumb: Hyperpigmentation are darker marks that never seem to fade, while redmarks are erythemas caused by burst capillaries. It's not entirely melanin related.

Well, I have hyperpigmentation on my chest and they are not red, they are white

Red marks are generally superficial and temporary. They are caused by burst or damaged capillaries on or near the surface of the skin. Hyper/hypo/whatever pigmentation is dark patches caused by excessive melanin production in a very localised area.

Red marks are generally superficial and temporary. They are caused by burst or damaged capillaries on or near the surface of the skin. Hyper/hypo/whatever pigmentation is dark patches caused by excessive melanin production in a very localised area.

Hyperpigmentation is unlikely to fade as noticably as red marks. They may fade over time though. Hyperpigmentation can be caused by other factors, such as an allergy or a different skin condition, so speak to a doctor or a derm, they will be able to help you best.

Can a red mark turn into hyperpigmentation with excessive sun exposure?

Can a red mark turn into hyperpigmentation with excessive sun exposure?

Yes, red marks can become hyperpigmentation due to excessive sun exposure. Often times, the red fades and you are left with a brown spot in its place. It's hard to tell which is which, especially in brown/olive skin tones...

Are you saying you already have brown spots? It's impossible to say how long it will take; maybe a couple of months, maybe years. It depends on the level of skin damage.

Isn't hyperpigmentation when your skin tone isn't even. Like my face due to acne

has large areas that are red and pink tones opposed to the rest of my face that is

a caramel complexion. It shows up in pictures a lot. I hate it?

Is this what it is or not?

God, I hate how acne f$%! up the skin...as if the actual acne wasn't bad enough, then there's uneven tone, texture, red marks, pores, UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay.

Red Marks are Red. Hyperpigmentation are brown purplish marks found in darker skin tones. People who are pale do not often get hyperpigmentation but do often get red marks. People who have darker skin tones have both hyperpigmentation and red marks. Often the same spot can be both red and hyperpigmented. Red marks are due to capillaries that are dilated during the healing process. Hyperpigmentation is due to EXCESSIVE melanin production...melanin is what gives your skin tone color.

Both are a source of uneven skin tones. Both are the result of the inflammation process. Both take 3-6 months to heal. Some even a year. They are not scars. But often under red marks, you might have scars that can't be seen until the red fades.

Okay.

Red Marks are Red. Hyperpigmentation are brown purplish marks found in darker skin tones. People who are pale do not often get hyperpigmentation but do often get red marks. People who have darker skin tones have both hyperpigmentation and red marks. Often the same spot can be both red and hyperpigmented. Red marks are due to capillaries that are dilated during the healing process. Hyperpigmentation is due to EXCESSIVE melanin production...melanin is what gives your skin tone color.

Both are a source of uneven skin tones. Both are the result of the inflammation process. Both take 3-6 months to heal. Some even a year. They are not scars. But often under red marks, you might have scars that can't be seen until the red fades.