Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all, since I’ve been a member here for a while (2 years i think) and read & used many of the experiences written here, I feel that I owe it back to the community to post this, revealing what has finally worked for me.

So without further delay I get to the point:

Regimen:

2x Doxycycline 100 Mg caps [Doxy1, morning 1 hour before breakfast – Doxy2, 30 minute before sleep (1 hour after launch)

&

For the first two weeks

- first night PanOxy + Clindamycin 1% (amount: a little more than one green pea from each [mix in your palm) – it should be just enough so that you can cover your entire face with a very thin layer {avoid eyes}.

* I know Dan emphasizes using a lot of benzyl peroxide (panOxy is bp) but I use a little, In my case, every thing fell into place when I started using just a little.

** in case you feel irritation you can use water (no soap) to clean your face after 10 minutes and every night increase time frame ex. 15 min, 20 min...

- second night differin 0.1% (2 green peas or a little more if necessary)

And then you alternate

After you feel it is responding you can decrease the number of times in one week (in my case after 2 weeks)

And also you need to use an oil free sunscreen in the morning (2-3 green peas again) and in case of long exposure to sun, apply it every 3-4 hours.

The cleaning process:

1. in the morning use a gentle soap and then apply sunscreen

2. (night) before applying these gels use a soap that doesn’t dry you out THAT much. (you don’t have to use fancy soaps- Neutrogena is not bad- I use NoBacter , its cheap and smells nice)

• don’t use soap more than twice a day, (I was one of those who thought the more I use soap, the dryer my face gets and therefore the less acne I would have, BUT, the more you use soap, the more your body generates oil and it becomes a habit for it.

* if you feel so oily that you think its dripping off of you ( I did feel that way in the beginning), you can use warm (NOT HOT- you shouldn’t see steam over the sink) water and your hand (gently) to clean up a bit.

** also when I come home and take a shower, I use one of those soapless gels, its really good- NOT soap)

*** oh, and this was big for me: I use tissue paper (gently) instead of towel to dry my face.

For shaving (face):

One of the other things that was major for me, was using blade instead of electric shaver (I don’t care if it’s a 500 dollar shaver) I prefer a 3 dollar blade. (I use Blue II Plus from Gillette which has extra (green) soap).

I know its hard to use blade on bumpy faces, BUT its worth it, just work around the face. Be gentle.

Every guy should already know this but just in case:

first Splash warm water to your face couple of times,

run hot water so steam builds up

keep blade under hot water, and keep your face above the sink to open pores (with steam).

after 30 seconds Apply a shaving gel or foam, ( I use Gillette shaving gel series , its white and says with aloe and vitamin E on the bottom, for when my beard is longer, and Nivea shaving foam for sensitive skin which is also white, for everyday use) (if you have to choose, chose gillette)

With every stroke, put the blade under hot water.

Take your time.

Sometimes hair get stock in the blade (specially when you shave after a few days) try to clean it up or use another blade..

I personally don’t use aftershave. Just the sunscreen, I don’t like how they mix.

About diet:

Almost every Doctor I’ve been to or article I’ve read, say that diet has no relation to acne, Dan too (as I remember) has the same opinion, but in my case, I have concluded that MILK has some effects on me, so I drink half a glass of milk everyday but a full glass of yogurt (eat ?!). for other things like chocolate and other controversial things, I won’t be having any problem, if I don’t go overboard.

Oh, egg yolk also, so I eat omelet only once or twice a week.

** Big Mac is the only food that I feel like I need to take a shower 2 minutes after eating it (GET OILLLLi) . So although “I’m Lovin it†I had to let it go.

But over all in my opinion diet doesn’t CAUSE acne (except milk and big mc) and in an experience I conducted, I ate and drank only fruits and vegetables for 16 days (its funny and at the same time sad, the things you do when you are desperate) and the result was that it did not help AT ALL, and even made it a little worse because I was sooo Stressed out and angry about being hungry, I also lost about 4 kilo’s.

I like to mention that I have tried manyyyy manyyy over the counter and prescription drugs (except accutane) and this is what has finally worked for me. I hope it works for you also

Also If you have time, pick up an exercise program, (if you haven’t already), if you can’t go to a gym, just walk in the street or your back yard or something. I honestly don’t know if it can directly effect acne, but back then when I was going through some hard times, I would go to a race track near my home, at night, and run around for 10-12 times, and I it would make me feel MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCHHHHH better. EVERY TIME. Now I go to a gym nearby 3 times a week.

Hmmm, I think that’s all I have to say, at first I wanted to keep it short, but the devil is in the detail, and its what I would have wanted to find when I was struggling with this problem.

Plz note that these are my own experiences and opinions, and I’m not disagreeing with other regimens. You have to find what works for YOU. But in case you are willing to try it out, please consult your doctor first.

p.s. forgive me for my English But I hope it helps.

glad it is working for you! I'm using mostly the same things.. Doxycycline but 100mg a day, Differin, and Clindamycin (occasionally using Duac which has BP 5%) but I use all three daily. My face is definitely worse and I seem to be having an IB from the Doxy on my body and stuff..it's been a little over 2 weeks of using these prescriptions.. did it ever get a bit worse for you before it got better? how long before you started seeing results? I have sensitive, totally problematic skin. Dries easily :(

hey baby pink, thanks,

see, as I said before, I have tried MANY MANY things before (14 doctors in total) including BP and anything with cycline at the end, BUT the thing is that you have to FINE TUNE them, its kind of a juggling act, so, I'm not a doctor, (just a former (knock on wood) acne sufferer who knows how f*ed up it can be to use all kinds of drugs and still get no relief) But, I recommend, you do exactly as I said, and hopefully you'll start seeing results within two or three weeks, and YES it got worse for me at first (day 5 to 9 – I keep a journal) , for me it got really really bad (or as I like to call it getting stuck in the Satan’s A** h***) but for some reason I stuck to it, and now its working pretty awesome so here is my program:

you take doxy 1 (100 mg) first thing in the morning (empty stomach)

30 min later or more you can have breakfast

I take a zinc 5mg immediately after dinner (my doc did not prescribe it. But since I have heard good things about it, I take one cap each day)

doxy2 is 12 hours after first one, and its better to take it 2 hours after food

And now the ointment part

day1: 1 hour before sleep wash face with sensitive soap, pad dry with tissue paper (works better than towel for me), after your face is completly dry (5-10 minute later) pea size panOxy mixed with pea size Clindamycin 1% everywhere except eyes and around.

day2: (wash up like before) and then 2 pea’s differin

day3 like day 1 and so on…

> u'll have skin shedding for few days

after seeing results you can use them once each, per week (but don’t go cold turkey, you need to stick to the program)

again, USE as little as possible, you only need to cover the whole area with a very thin layer, too much of it will irritate and make you red.

For washing your face : use a soap as sensitive as possible, for the last few months mostly I’ve been using a soapless gel with name Avene , but whenever you feel like the gel duzn’t do the job, use soap, I guess my point is that those web sites about acne are RIGHT, WE DO NOT WANT TO DRY OUT OUR SKIN.

I’m not trying to advertise anything here :liar: , but this gel (AVENE) is really awesome, it never dries the skin.

"FOR Washing up -before- applying ointments DON't use this gel, use a soap for sensitive skin"

Uha, if you have long hair like me don’t let it get oily, shampoo every3-4 day. (too much shampooing is not good for hair, its a juggling act)

Also try to stay away from milk (just mik not dairy) for 2 weeks, maybe you’ll see some difference.

I wish you the best, ;)

hey baby pink, thanks,

see, as I said before, I have tried MANY MANY things before (14 doctors in total) including BP and anything with cycline at the end, BUT the thing is that you have to FINE TUNE them, its kind of a juggling act, so, I'm not a doctor, (just a former (knock on wood) acne sufferer who knows how f*ed up it can be to use all kinds of drugs and still get no relief) But, I recommend, you do exactly as I said, and hopefully you'll start seeing results within two or three weeks, and YES it got worse for me at first (day 5 to 9 – I keep a journal) , for me it got really really bad (or as I like to call it getting stuck in the Satan’s A** h***) but for some reason I stuck to it, and now its working pretty awesome so here is my program:

you take doxy 1 (100 mg) first thing in the morning (empty stomach)

30 min later or more you can have breakfast

I take a zinc 5mg immediately after dinner (my doc did not prescribe it. But since I have heard good things about it, I take one cap each day)

doxy2 is 12 hours after first one, and its better to take it 2 hours after food

And now the ointment part

day1: 1 hour before sleep wash face with sensitive soap, pad dry with tissue paper (works better than towel for me), after your face is completly dry (5-10 minute later) pea size panOxy mixed with pea size Clindamycin 1% everywhere except eyes and around.

day2: (wash up like before) and then 2 pea’s differin

day3 like day 1 and so on…

> u'll have skin shedding for few days

after seeing results you can use them once each, per week (but don’t go cold turkey, you need to stick to the program)

again, USE as little as possible, you only need to cover the whole area with a very thin layer, too much of it will irritate and make you red.

For washing your face : use a soap as sensitive as possible, for the last few months mostly I’ve been using a soapless gel with name Avene , but whenever you feel like the gel duzn’t do the job, use soap, I guess my point is that those web sites about acne are RIGHT, WE DO NOT WANT TO DRY OUT OUR SKIN.

I’m not trying to advertise anything here :liar: , but this gel (AVENE) is really awesome, it never dries the skin.

"FOR Washing up -before- applying ointments DON't use this gel, use a soap for sensitive skin"

Uha, if you have long hair like me don’t let it get oily, shampoo every3-4 day. (too much shampooing is not good for hair, its a juggling act)

Also try to stay away from milk (just mik not dairy) for 2 weeks, maybe you’ll see some difference.

I wish you the best, ;)

Thanks yeah! I've been prescribed Clindamycin gel in the morning, I take 100mg Doxy 2 hours after lunch (I follow the instructions, take it on an empty stomach and everything!) and then Differin at night. I also take birth control pills (being female :P ) and started taking zinc 50mg and a b-50 complex at night. I found that since I'm getting this IB taking ibuprofen and icing my face 1-2 times daily really does help reduce inflammation which is good. I just have totally sensitive skin with moderate but stubborn and all over acne and I've never been able to treat it. I really hope these work. None of the products are too drying which is nice for me. And yeah!! I don't do dairy or gluten. And I'm vegetarian. But I wonder if my diet plays more of a role than I think it does? pea-sized all the way :) I'm tempted to keep a little pea in the bathroom for comparison!

http://www.aveneusa.com/consumers/products...ault.asp?t=oily

I assume you mean the soap free cleanser :) do you have a list of ingredients by any chance?