Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kimothy

questions about makeup and SPF

I have a question that's been floating around my head recently...

If I apply an SPF 30 sunscreen, and then proceed to apply an SPF 15 foundation primer, what SPF do I have on my face? Does it become something in-between SPF 15 and SPF 30??? Does it stay SPF 30 or become SPF 15??

And another similar question.... what if I apply SPF 30 then apply a makeup product WITHOUT SPF? Is my skin still protected?

Thanks.

1. don't know what spf exactly you'll end up with. but i do know that combining chemical and chemical sunscreen ingredients (depending on what they are) can potentially cause a negative reaction and cause the protection to become unstable.

2. yes, still protected.

so long as you wear sunscreen, you are protected, but applying makeup with spf over sunscreen doesn't give added protection. spf has a lot to do with how long it is effective, not just how much sn is filtered out.

According to Dr. Denese, it will usually be the average of the two. She gives this example - If you use a day cream with SPF 0, and apply a foundation with SPF 8, you might end up with as little as SPF 4 on your face. She also states that serums and lightweight skin products don't need to be calculated into the equation because they absorb into the skin quickly. So to answer your question- I say apply your sunscreen and wait at least 10 minutes before you apply primer/makeup.

It depends on what kind of sunscreen you use. But I think you will get a SPF 30 protection, it also depends on what kind of suncreen you use, if you use chemical sunscreens, the mixing of it with a primer may cause it to become unstable leading to loss of protection.

Also chemical sunscreens especially those with avobenzone become unstable in the presence of certain minerals such as titanium oxide or zinc oxide and since a most foundation contain them, use of physical blockers may be better.

Actually from what I've read [and in your case] you would just have SPF30, not SPF45 or some number in between.

and your skin should still be protected because you applied the SPF directly on your bare skin.