Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ninjazx

Anything for Grainy, Flaky Skin?

For some reason my forehead skin looks really grainy and has little dead flakes of skin as well that makes my skin look dull and 'old'. But if I do glycolic acid peel then the skin will look better for a couple of days and then go back to how it was. Does anyone know if there is a product I could use every day or that isnt peel to keep my skin from looking so grainy/flaky? I was thinking maybe St Ives apricot scrub might help or some type of similar product, any suggestions?

I wouldn't recommend the apricot scrubs; they tend to be too harsh and can actually damage your skin.

However, some effective and cheap methods of exfoliation:

Aspirin - Buy uncoated if you can. If you can't find any (I never can), you can buy the coated, but make sure you wash off the coating in water...it comes off fairly easily. Once you've dissolved the coating, you can use just a few drops of water to turn the aspirin into a white, grainy paste. You can rub this gently all over your face (I find that 3 or 4 does it), or, as an alternative, leave it on your face until dry as a mask. Once dry, use water to rinse it off, rubbing gently in circles as you go to exfoliate. The aspirin works to decrease redness and inflammation.

Brown Sugar - Used with water or honey....very effective.

Baby Brush - many on this forum swear by the baby hair brush method. I've never tried it for myself. Basically, you buy a baby's hair brush at any baby store (babies r'us, for example), and use it to gently massage your face, usually while in the shower. It's extremely gentle and supposedly exfoliates quite well.

If flaking continues to be a daily problem, you probably need to step up your moisturizer. I go through cycles of severe flaking thanks to the meds I'm on, and I control it by nightly slathering my face with Aquaphor (vaseline would work as well). It's very thick and feels gross, but it works so well.

Any of the great suggestions above, or you can add in a toner strength glycolic acid product, one that's at least 10% glycolic acid. If you follow the middle link at the bottom of my signature, you'll find glycolic acid product recommendations.

High five!

All my friends compliment me on my skin, which always perplexed me, because I've got much worse acne than most of them (some of those who complimented me actually had flawless skin), and I realize it's because I know how to keep my skin healthy. Proper exfoliation, proper moisturizing, and trying to keep it as unirritated as possible.

I'm sort of a freelance makeup artist (mostly stage makeup, but I've done it for proms before), and one of my "charges" if you will (I was called to do makeup for the entire cast of Hedwig and the Angry Inch...which, if you don't know, is a show about drag queens...and I got creative with the backup band. The band member in question...I modelled his makeup after Ziggy Stardust...heh) apparently told the actress playing Yitzhak that I had such great skin....which amused me, as both he and she have PERFECT skin. But I guess healthiness will always shine through.

Just the other night I was out to dinner with some friends, and this girl was there whom I'd never met, and she actually interrupted me at one point to say, "I've just been staring at your skin this whole time, it's like, glowing." Which was ironic, because I'd been thinking the same thing about her. And then we bonded because we both use mineral makeup. But she uses Bare Minerals...I told her about EM, but for now she's sticking with it, because she got a TON free when she worked for QVC.

So....what did that have to do with anything? Uh. Exfoliation and moisturizing will lead to compliments on your skin! Yeah.

Steam room!!!! Or steam in general.

That is the only thing that works for me. If I get to the steam room at least 2 times a week while massaging my skin with my fingertips, all of that dryness/dullness/flakiness goes away (If I'm steaming long enough) and then other products will work properly.

For some reason my forehead skin looks really grainy and has little dead flakes of skin as well that makes my skin look dull and 'old'. But if I do glycolic acid peel then the skin will look better for a couple of days and then go back to how it was. Does anyone know if there is a product I could use every day or that isnt peel to keep my skin from looking so grainy/flaky? I was thinking maybe St Ives apricot scrub might help or some type of similar product, any suggestions?