Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well.. i dont have a moisturizer with SPF.. (I use Jojoba)

and alot of people are telling me i should buy a sunscreen

hmmmm so im wondering what sunscreen should i buy that wouldnt clog my pores, and im wondering how it would make my skin look

I'm also looking for sunscreen that won't leave me looking like a greaseball. I tried one by Dove last year that some people recommended but it left my face too shiny. I have to use oil-absorbing sheets every 3-4 hours so oiliness is a problem (along with breakouts).

I use Neutrogena Dry-Touch SPF 30 as well. It doesn't shine on my face, although I have to wait a few minutes before putting makeup over it to avoid chunkiness. Still looking for a good product designed especially for the face.

And you DO need sunblock. At least SPF30 if you're using acne meds of any sort. Otherwise you're just going to add wrinkles and sun spots to your skin troubles.

Here are some sunscreen recommendations for acne prone skin:

Neutrogena Dry-Touch SPF 30 as said above

Clarins UV Plus Day Screen Protector SPF 40 => what I'm using now.. It's great! No white residue, no oil, easy to be removed, the texture is really light. The only problem is the price which is pretty expensive for 30 ml.

However, I might switch to Shiseido Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 38 cos it's cheaper than Clarins.

I have a question myself. Besides the protection from SPF 30 to SPF 80, what is the difference? Is higher SPF heavier or something?

PrznKing I have been doing a lot of research about sunscreen. Most of the time, in my experience & research, the higher SPF the greasier the sunscreen on your skin. And start from SPF 30 and above the difference in protection between each is not that much. SO SPF 30 & SPF 50 there's not much a difference between the two.

So, in my opinion, for sunscreen product, just do a lot of research between brands and find out about the active ingredient in that particular sunscreen and as well read the customers review.

These are a little info about the ingredients in sunscreen:

UVB protection: Padimate O, Homosalate, Octisalate (octyl salicylate), Octinoxate (octyl methoxycinnamate)

UVA protection: Avobenzone

UVA/UVB protection: Octocrylene, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, Mexoryl (ecamsule)

(above is quoted from a friend of mine)

However, there are many rumor about avobenzone. Apparently it breaks down once we are under the sun.

The best sunscreens are the ones that contains the ingredients for protecting the skin from UVA & UVB.

For daily use, we better use sunscreen with SPF 30. For sport use the higher SPF like SPF 50 should be enough.

But, if u're under the sun constantly like sport, maybe working outside, you have to reapply the sunscreen every 2 hrs (the best is every 20 mins).

o ya, about SPF, the higher the SPF the better the protection (that's what they said). But as I mentioned before above SPF 30 is just a small difference. You can count the protection by multiply the SPF number to 15 mins. So, SPF 30 will protect our skin for about 7.5 hrs. But due to sweating and everything you still have to re apply in every 2 hrs.

However, if you're not constantly under the sun & not doing sport, once is enough. Cos I don't always reapply my sunscreen if there's not much activity under the sun.

Hope my info helps.. ;)

Thanks for that post :)

I thought though that the length of protection is adding a 0 to the end of the SPF and that's the number of minutes. Like SPF 30 is 300 minutes and SPF 80 is 800 minutes?

But SPF 30 seems to be working for me and it's not greasy at all so I'm pretty good with it for now :)

I have a sunscreen that contains only 20% zinc oxide and like 3 other ingredients, no UVA blockers, since most chemical ingredients irritate my skin. What percentage of zinc oxide would be necessary to achieve about an SPF 15??

i tried getting neutrogena but it was sold out!

i got coppertone for face and it made my face burn and was bad protection i would apply it every 2 hours and i still got burnt

If your skin is cool with fragrance, the Neutrogena Dry Touch is very good.

I couldn't handle the fragrance (redness, itchiness, etc), so I use the one in my signature. It doesn't really leave me matte, though. Also, at least with chemical sunscreens, the higher the SPF, the higher the percentage of sunscreen ingredients, the higher the risk of irritation. I can't handle SPF 30, unless it's purely mineral, but I can't find one of those that isn't too greasy.