Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Group: Members

OK y'all,

I just got back from taking my son to the dermatologist this morning. Talk about awful! I felt so bad for him and dont know how much more either of us can take. He is at three months and the start of his second week. He is still getting some pus filled pimples but mainly cysts on his jawline and a few on his temple. This morning she stuck him four times with a needle full of steroids in the cysts! I was holding my breath and it hurt him so bad. He is only 14 and has to go through this crap! I'm totally upset right now because I'm worried the accutane is not going to work at all! She said that his jawline was very difficult. She wouldnt answer me directly. I must have asked five different ways and she wouldnt promise me anything. I needed her to tell me he would not be the 10 percent that it didnt work for. She just kept saying she is hopeful and positive. The good thing is, she said in all her years treating people with accutane only one failed. Surely my son wont be the second. My question for y'all is, has anyone had cystic injections during the third month and still cleared up?? Did the injections leave a scar? He has fair skin and so many red spots. Sometimes I feel the accutane made him look worse. I just pray for his sake it gets better.

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks, Kerry

hey!

well, for almost everyone, any redness is very accentuated when you're on Tane. It's just to be expected. I finished tane a couple weeks ago, and within 1 week, redness is very decreased. So don't worry too much about the redness part.

As for the injections, I'm sorry I can't add to that.

Group: Members

OK y'all,

I just got back from taking my son to the dermatologist this morning. Talk about awful! I felt so bad for him and dont know how much more either of us can take. He is at three months and the start of his second week. He is still getting some pus filled pimples but mainly cysts on his jawline and a few on his temple. This morning she stuck him four times with a needle full of steroids in the cysts! I was holding my breath and it hurt him so bad. He is only 14 and has to go through this crap! I'm totally upset right now because I'm worried the accutane is not going to work at all! She said that his jawline was very difficult. She wouldnt answer me directly. I must have asked five different ways and she wouldnt promise me anything. I needed her to tell me he would not be the 10 percent that it didnt work for. She just kept saying she is hopeful and positive. The good thing is, she said in all her years treating people with accutane only one failed. Surely my son wont be the second. My question for y'all is, has anyone had cystic injections during the third month and still cleared up?? Did the injections leave a scar? He has fair skin and so many red spots. Sometimes I feel the accutane made him look worse. I just pray for his sake it gets better.

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks, Kerry

Thank You for the imput. I know he would benifit from all that. But realistically to get a 14 year old to eat like that is a long shot! Reading the list to avoid..He would never make it. Either would I to be honest. I am sure diet has something to do with it of course. But there are kids and adults eating ten times worse than we are and they have clear skin. It's genetics in my opinion for the most part. My son eats a lot of fish and very healthy and breaks out. He has friends that eat out of a box everynight and have perfectly clear skin. Who knows. I'm tired of trying to figure it all out!

Thanks

Kerry

Thank You for the imput. I know he would benifit from all that. But realistically to get a 14 year old to eat like that is a long shot! Reading the list to avoid..He would never make it. Either would I to be honest. I am sure diet has something to do with it of course. But there are kids and adults eating ten times worse than we are and they have clear skin. It's genetics in my opinion for the most part. My son eats a lot of fish and very healthy and breaks out. He has friends that eat out of a box everynight and have perfectly clear skin. Who knows. I'm tired of trying to figure it all out!

Thanks

Kerry

Thanks Mark. I am going to have him try the food diary. Thats a real good idea! He also has hot lunch at school. No telling what THAT food is! HA! I would be intrested to know if certain things do cause these outbreaks. It's definatly worth a shot. I give you so much credit for sticking to this. It has to be so hard!!!! I'm happy for you that you are clear!!!!

Kerry

Thanks Mark. I am going to have him try the food diary. Thats a real good idea! He also has hot lunch at school. No telling what THAT food is! HA! I would be intrested to know if certain things do cause these outbreaks. It's definatly worth a shot. I give you so much credit for sticking to this. It has to be so hard!!!! I'm happy for you that you are clear!!!!

Kerry

Hey Kerry - I started my first course of accutane when I was 17 and 3 months in I still had cysts. In fact, I never fully cleared while on that course. I think my skin was so oily that it took one course just to get me to where I needed to be to get clear from a second course. Don't worry too much though, I know its tough. Its terrible to just sit there and watch your child suffer with acne, I know because I was the child and could see how much it pained my mom to not be able to just take it away. Have faith in accutane. If it doesn't work to totally clear him from one course you can always try another. Good luck!

Hi,

Everybody is so sweet on here. Thanks to all who helps me! I dont know what I would do without this support and to be able to vent. I sometimes worry that people dont care what I have to say because I am the mom of a sufferer and not going through it myself. But trust me, if I could go through it instead of my son I would. I hope that all you young people know how much your parents are hurting for you. I feel it's somewhat worse. We want to help and cant. I am 39 and I have moderate hormonal acne but nothing serious. Not sure where my son inherited it from. He is almost 15 and has a good attitude about it. He is pretty clear except some major cysts on his jawline. He was injected two days ago as some of you know. My question today is...how come they are not going down yet. The derm said 24 to 48 hours. They are the same. Has anyone out there been injected with steriods into their cysts and they didnt go away? Will they? Does he have to do it again. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. They are still angry red and swollen. I feel like if I just pop them to drain them (Gross I know), they will go away. Not sure. I will leave them alone for now. My experience in the past is if you pop them they go away fast. I wonder whats taking them so long. I thought the shot for sure would get rid of them. Maybe it hasnt been long enough.

Again thanks for putting up with me.

Kerry

Hi,

Everybody is so sweet on here. Thanks to all who helps me! I dont know what I would do without this support and to be able to vent. I sometimes worry that people dont care what I have to say because I am the mom of a sufferer and not going through it myself. But trust me, if I could go through it instead of my son I would. I hope that all you young people know how much your parents are hurting for you. I feel it's somewhat worse. We want to help and cant. I am 39 and I have moderate hormonal acne but nothing serious. Not sure where my son inherited it from. He is almost 15 and has a good attitude about it. He is pretty clear except some major cysts on his jawline. He was injected two days ago as some of you know. My question today is...how come they are not going down yet. The derm said 24 to 48 hours. They are the same. Has anyone out there been injected with steriods into their cysts and they didnt go away? Will they? Does he have to do it again. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. They are still angry red and swollen. I feel like if I just pop them to drain them (Gross I know), they will go away. Not sure. I will leave them alone for now. My experience in the past is if you pop them they go away fast. I wonder whats taking them so long. I thought the shot for sure would get rid of them. Maybe it hasnt been long enough.

Again thanks for putting up with me.

Kerry

What do you mean one to two pills every other day? Dont you take them everyday. My son takes 60 mg. a day. One in the A.M. one at night.

I'm sorry you have to get the injections. I just called the derm this morning because he had them donr on Monday morning and it is now Thursday and the left one has not gone down at all and still is painful and red. I hope they dont have to do it to him again. Dont know why it didnt work. Frustrated and sad. I'm so scarred Accutane is not working there. It worked everywhere else. I wonder if it doesnt work on some. I dont know.

Thanks, Kerry

hey, im sorry to hear that about ur son. i had severe cystic acne and i was so depressed bcuz i continued breakin out in cysts on my 5th month of tane, i didnt think i was going to clear up. i kept gettin acne facial and injections up until month 6. my face cleared up MAGICALLY, YES MAGICALLY on month 6. i dont know how it happened bcuz a wk b4 my face was bad but it cleared up. i continued taking accutane for another 4 months. i've been off accutane for about 3 months n have been acne free. some scars from those ugly cysts but dont look that bad. btw, i was on very high dose.

please have patient n tell ur son my story. if u'd like i'll email my pics so i can see how bad my face used to be.

wish ur son the best!

=)

sometimes the cortisone injections didnt work in some of my cysts, sometimes it did,

I just wanted to post that I feel for you, and your son. I have suffered from acne for the past seven years, and it can definitely get to you mentally when you've had it for so long. I started accutane 4 months, and 3 weeks ago and my face is broken out way worse now than it ever had been before accutane. Your son is still very early on in the treatment, and EVERYONE'S experience on accutane is different. It's encouraging to hear that he is taking everything well, and I hope he ends up as an accutane success story.

Regards,

David

Thanks everyone! And fio, you give me hope to wait it out. I get so frustrated when people talk about how clear they are by month three. I'm happy for them but angry my son has to go through this. The "why him" syndrome. I'm trying to stay positive. The derm called me back yesterday and said for him to do warm compresses on this cyst he has on his left jawline. It's like the size of a nickle. Like a cluster. The injection didnt take it down. They say it will go away in time.

I was upset yesterday. I ran into a friend whos son of course has clear skin. Same age as mine. When we were talking I saw her eyes look at my sons jawline. He didnt notice but I got a sick feeling in my stomache. I know this sounds bad. I'm not imbarresed of my son, it just hurts me some how. I'm angry at someone.

Also for audit, thanks for the well wishes. I pray that accutane is sucessful for you as well. I'm sure it's such a stressful journey and everything with everyone will be great. It just takes so long while your on it.

In a week we are moving back to Orlando Florida. Now I have to deal with the sun! He is awful about putting sun screen on but this will be a must! It's weird, I have a friend there whos daughter is on accutane and her dermatologist said the sun is good healing. But her daughter does not have red marks. Which I have seen the sun turn my sons red marks purple.

I just love this site and look forward evryday from hearing from everybody. Thanks again,

Kerry

Kerry, if you do need any holistic or diet questions I will be more that happy to answer them.

I know you may not think that the holistic approach will get you the results you need for your son but I have cured my sisters acne eczema and psoriasis with holistic and diet methods and she has also stopped using medication from the doctor for the first time in her life and I have identified almost all my acne triggers and today my skin has been the clearest its been since I was a child.

People react differently to different treatments and I guess its a case of trial and error but I know that whenever I use drugs given to me by my doctor I develop new problems or existing problems become worst and I think this could be true of many people that don’t see results from the kind of treatments your son is having. Maybe he would respond really well to a holistic approach, maybe he wont, its always worth a shot though.

What do you mean one to two pills every other day? Dont you take them everyday. My son takes 60 mg. a day. One in the A.M. one at night.

I'm sorry you have to get the injections. I just called the derm this morning because he had them donr on Monday morning and it is now Thursday and the left one has not gone down at all and still is painful and red. I hope they dont have to do it to him again. Dont know why it didnt work. Frustrated and sad. I'm so scarred Accutane is not working there. It worked everywhere else. I wonder if it doesnt work on some. I dont know.

Thanks, Kerry