Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newcastlegirl

Vitamin A question - please help?

I just heard on the news last night that if you take over 1 1/2 milligrams of Vitamin A, you could be in danger of getting more broken bones. Now everyone, what does that translate to if you take 25,000 i.u. of Vitamin A a day? Thanks for your help,

Karen

Yeah, newcastlegirl, I heard the same thing on the radio this morning. Scary, isn't it? I'm on a 24,000-per-day diet. They recommend 5,000 per week!

Hey, sorry I didn't answer your queston. The conversion is 5,000 IU to 1.5 mg. The study released recommends .1 mg--about 333 IU--per day and no more than 1.5 mg per week. Looks like we're waaay overdoing it, girlfriend.

I called the Herpanacine people. They said beta carotene, that is in their supplement (beta carotene, E, and amino acids) was a bit different than say the cod liver oil - I had read that before.

I got to wondering - what group just put out this info on broken bones? If they were a nonprofit, no ties to anyone, I might believe them, but so far, from every naturopathic book, they say 25,000 i.u. is very safe. Plus my naturopathic doctor said to not go over that amount, and she is very balanced.

I am going to continue this amount. The study said to get your Vitamin A in food, which is laughable. Do you know how many carrots you would have to eat? I say to continue and not be concerned.

Karen

Vit A could be very dangerous , blindness and even death can occur if you take a big dosage.,

I take one pill per week :wink:

Hey, yes Vitamin A can be dangerous but most naturopath's do not consider 25,000 i.u. dangerous. Over that amount can be. I guess you have to figure out whose idea is dangerous - the regular medical establishment has always disdained vitamins and still is behind the real facts, would much rather push an antibiotic or something else besides the nutritional or inward method. At least that is my opinion.

Karen

I heard about those broken bones too and along with that they said on the news a warning sign would be any discoloration of the skin of feeling really drowsy for no reason.