Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RatherBeSkating

Might have cured my folliculitis

Do you know of anyone else who has overdosed on vitamin A for acne~? i see you overdose of fish oil and zinc already, does this cause any side effects for you?

Do you know of anyone else who has overdosed on vitamin A for acne~? i see you overdose of fish oil and zinc already, does this cause any side effects for you?

Thanks for the advice! I think I will start taking Zinc but I've been a vegetarian since age 5.. not sure if I feel comfortable with taking fish oil tablets.. but let me know if it really really helps with face and body and perhaps I can try them :) thank you!

So I finally got my fish oil capsules today. They are by Natural Factors. Says each pill contains 1065mg of fish oil concentrate (anchovy, sardine), 630mg omega-3 fatty acids. Hope it is right! I took 5 pills just before lunchtime, and am going to take another 5 before bed. Wish me luck!

I am also still using the propylene glycol/distilled water spray, since last Friday. I have moticed the marks aren't as red, and have gone down somewhat. I sprayed my neck becaue I get spots there sometimes and today woke up and had new marks with the whiteheads in them all over my neck, and also strangely clusters on each top of my shoulders..not sure what that is about. Also of note is I had a patch of PF on my right temple, and I have been applying it there too. It is pretty much gone but has made the skin very dry!

So I finally got my fish oil capsules today. They are by Natural Factors. Says each pill contains 1065mg of fish oil concentrate (anchovy, sardine), 630mg omega-3 fatty acids. Hope it is right! I took 5 pills just before lunchtime, and am going to take another 5 before bed. Wish me luck!

I am also still using the propylene glycol/distilled water spray, since last Friday. I have moticed the marks aren't as red, and have gone down somewhat. I sprayed my neck becaue I get spots there sometimes and today woke up and had new marks with the whiteheads in them all over my neck, and also strangely clusters on each top of my shoulders..not sure what that is about. Also of note is I had a patch of PF on my right temple, and I have been applying it there too. It is pretty much gone but has made the skin very dry!

O.K, so people familiar with the Pityrosporum Folliculitis thread at the top of this board will be aware that I have suffered from folliculitis for around 2 years. I've tried pretty much every topical in the book, and nothing has ever fully worked, just controlled it. Ketoconazole tablets also were ineffective, and very dangerous.

Now, over the past few weeks I made the following changes to my diet:

• Started drinking a lot of organic apple cyder vinegar
  • Started taking zinc supplements again
  • Started taking fish oil supplements
  • Cut down on sugar

At first I thought it was the ACV, but I have gone without it for a couple of days and continue to see improvement. I also don't think it's the cut down on sugar either, because up until now that hasn't made a massive impact (although I'm sure it has helped my overall health) The zinc could have helped, but I've taken it in the past and seen no reduction in follicultis. So, that leaves the fish oil.

For a couple of weeks I've been taking around 5 fish oil capsules a day, and since starting doing this, my folliculitis has been in a state of control like I've never seen before. For those who don't know, I have acquired folliculitis on my neck after a course of minocycline I was on when I first developed a few nodules (turns out cutting out dairy more or less cured my acne, so anti-biotics weren't even needed) :confused: After that, I treid lots of anti-acne creams and pills because that's what I thought it was, acne.

This is what folliculitis looks like, it can be more or less severe than this (Mine was several times more severe at one point)

http://www.skinatlas.com/pityrosporum.jpg

So anyway, right now one side of my neck is completely clear, I can't see any bumps when I look very closely, and it feels really smooth. The PF is no doubt still there, because it takes a couple of weeks of follow up treatment in most cases to ensure complete remission. The other side has a couple of red bumps there still, but other than those that are already inflamed (and will need to go down in their own time) my skin there is also clear.

I attribute this to my high intake of fish oil. I decided to up the dosage a couple of days ago. I took 5 fish oil (1000mg), and 5 zinc (15mg) pills in the morning, then 5 again at night. That was the turning point. Since then I have had no new bumps, and the existing ones disappeared very quickly. A nice side effect is that it seems to also have reduced my acne, although somehow I seem to much more oily on my face :confused:

I would advice someone to try this and get back to me. If fish oil is indeed the cure I've been looking for for so long, others should be able to benefit from it too. You'll find fish oil at pharmacies or in vitamin and supplements isles at supermarkets. I would try capsules instead of the drink, to be as accurate to what I am doing as possible.

So, anyone want to try 5 in the morning and 5 at night? You should notice after at most a week if it's working for you. If not, on to another trial and error :D

O.K, so people familiar with the Pityrosporum Folliculitis thread at the top of this board will be aware that I have suffered from folliculitis for around 2 years. I've tried pretty much every topical in the book, and nothing has ever fully worked, just controlled it. Ketoconazole tablets also were ineffective, and very dangerous.

Now, over the past few weeks I made the following changes to my diet:

• Started drinking a lot of organic apple cyder vinegar
  • Started taking zinc supplements again
  • Started taking fish oil supplements
  • Cut down on sugar

At first I thought it was the ACV, but I have gone without it for a couple of days and continue to see improvement. I also don't think it's the cut down on sugar either, because up until now that hasn't made a massive impact (although I'm sure it has helped my overall health) The zinc could have helped, but I've taken it in the past and seen no reduction in follicultis. So, that leaves the fish oil.

For a couple of weeks I've been taking around 5 fish oil capsules a day, and since starting doing this, my folliculitis has been in a state of control like I've never seen before. For those who don't know, I have acquired folliculitis on my neck after a course of minocycline I was on when I first developed a few nodules (turns out cutting out dairy more or less cured my acne, so anti-biotics weren't even needed) :confused: After that, I treid lots of anti-acne creams and pills because that's what I thought it was, acne.

This is what folliculitis looks like, it can be more or less severe than this (Mine was several times more severe at one point)

http://www.skinatlas.com/pityrosporum.jpg

So anyway, right now one side of my neck is completely clear, I can't see any bumps when I look very closely, and it feels really smooth. The PF is no doubt still there, because it takes a couple of weeks of follow up treatment in most cases to ensure complete remission. The other side has a couple of red bumps there still, but other than those that are already inflamed (and will need to go down in their own time) my skin there is also clear.

I attribute this to my high intake of fish oil. I decided to up the dosage a couple of days ago. I took 5 fish oil (1000mg), and 5 zinc (15mg) pills in the morning, then 5 again at night. That was the turning point. Since then I have had no new bumps, and the existing ones disappeared very quickly. A nice side effect is that it seems to also have reduced my acne, although somehow I seem to much more oily on my face :confused:

I would advice someone to try this and get back to me. If fish oil is indeed the cure I've been looking for for so long, others should be able to benefit from it too. You'll find fish oil at pharmacies or in vitamin and supplements isles at supermarkets. I would try capsules instead of the drink, to be as accurate to what I am doing as possible.

So, anyone want to try 5 in the morning and 5 at night? You should notice after at most a week if it's working for you. If not, on to another trial and error :D

Ok, i'm getting a bit concerned about your overdosing.Be very careful with this kind of stuff, vitamin A intoxication it's a pretty thing...so i've read ;) .On my fish oil prescription it says that i can take up to 3 capsules twice a day, but on the zinc one, it only says that the daily dosage shouldn't exceed one pill.So taking up to 10 isn't a thing i would do so easily.Try to remember what happened the last time you overdosed on ketoconazole just to find out it hasn't helped at all...

I'm currently on your regimen with 5 fish oil capsules and one zinc pill a day.Twice a day i'm applying undiluted lemon juice on my skin and it seems to work reduce the red spots, so i'm pretty happy with this regimen.I'll be back with details in a few days :)

Take care everybody! :wub:

This is interesting, but definitely not applicable to my situation. I have been taking 8-12 fish oil capsules daily for a couple of years now. It didn't prevent my folliculitis, nor did it clear it up. Possibly my skin would have been worse without it, but I have no way of knowing.

This is interesting, but definitely not applicable to my situation. I have been taking 8-12 fish oil capsules daily for a couple of years now. It didn't prevent my folliculitis, nor did it clear it up. Possibly my skin would have been worse without it, but I have no way of knowing.

OK so it is day 2 of me taking 10 fish oil capsules. I am also using a propylene glycol/distilled water spray. Redness has definitely gone down! And some bumps have completely disappeared. Noticeable improvement for sure. But to which do I owe it? I am not so sure, I started using the PG spray before the fish oil. I do have quite dry skin on my shoulder and chest area now, and on my temple where I had some PF (which is completely gone now) I just moisturize the skin lots and use a scrub to get the flakes off. Personally I would rather have dry skin on some parts of me than red hideous ugly inflamed skin!

OK so it is day 2 of me taking 10 fish oil capsules. I am also using a propylene glycol/distilled water spray. Redness has definitely gone down! And some bumps have completely disappeared. Noticeable improvement for sure. But to which do I owe it? I am not so sure, I started using the PG spray before the fish oil. I do have quite dry skin on my shoulder and chest area now, and on my temple where I had some PF (which is completely gone now) I just moisturize the skin lots and use a scrub to get the flakes off. Personally I would rather have dry skin on some parts of me than red hideous ugly inflamed skin!

I'm glad it's working for you!!!

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to stop with the fish oil and zinc and just use the vitamin A, I don't want to overload my liver, and since I'm not under medical supervision I should be as careful as possible.

If it starts to come back in full force I will probably start taking them again. Good luck allornothing, keep us updated!

I'm glad it's working for you!!!

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to stop with the fish oil and zinc and just use the vitamin A, I don't want to overload my liver, and since I'm not under medical supervision I should be as careful as possible.

If it starts to come back in full force I will probably start taking them again. Good luck allornothing, keep us updated!

I don't know if this has been posed before or if it's of any use to any of you, but i've found this article about ketoconazole and zinc pyrithione (ingredients in Nizoral and H&S)

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/1....1996.tb00552.x

And one more link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2142498

Quite interesting.I think i'll just stick to my current treatment no matter what for at least a month,

just to make sure. ;)

So it is Day 4 of my regimen. Still noticing vast improvements! :dance: I only took 5 fish oil capsules yesterday (in the morning), and still spray myself with a lot of propylene glycol in the morning, and before bed. I had a patch of acne around my left temple, and I dabbed it with the solution last night..woke up and it is gone! I think the severe drying effect helps the folliculitis as well as acne. My PF is pretty much all gone..it is truly shocking to me. I have flaky dry skin on my chest and shoulders still...but that is a small price to pay in my opinion. I am a bit leery that this has all worked so quick and effectively, so I am crossing my fingers this isn't just one of those things where it works for like a week then comes back.

So it is Day 4 of my regimen. Still noticing vast improvements! :dance: I only took 5 fish oil capsules yesterday (in the morning), and still spray myself with a lot of propylene glycol in the morning, and before bed. I had a patch of acne around my left temple, and I dabbed it with the solution last night..woke up and it is gone! I think the severe drying effect helps the folliculitis as well as acne. My PF is pretty much all gone..it is truly shocking to me. I have flaky dry skin on my chest and shoulders still...but that is a small price to pay in my opinion. I am a bit leery that this has all worked so quick and effectively, so I am crossing my fingers this isn't just one of those things where it works for like a week then comes back.

Just a quick update...Day 6 of my regimen. Hasn't got any worse but hasn't got significantly better. Don't get me wrong - my PF is at a manageable level moreso than it has ever been. I only took 5 fish oil pills yesterday and today. I have to buy some more and I will try for 10 a day again until the weekend. Been using the propylene glycol..it is very effective on any red spots I have (acne, PF, or otherwise) my skin seems to be adjusting to the drying effect of it finally.

well i just wanted to toss my 2 cents in here regarding avc/fish oil. ive read that what ACV does is attack oil substances and eats it up or whatever. Basically, if your taking acv with fish oil, or any kind of oil, acv will negate the effect of that oil.

Anyone can confirm/correct?

This is very interesting, so I thought I'd ask you guys for some help. Long story short I've had perfect skin my whole life, never any acne anywhere even as a teenager. About a year and a half ago, at age 31 I started to have some acne pop up on my face and went to the derm.

Since then I've been given all types of anti-biotics and topicals, and my acne (Folliculitis? ) has gotten worse and worse. I now am developing acne on the back of my arms and back. My arm and back acne looks similar to the photo linked in this thread, just not as red as the photo, but all kinds of little bumps. I'm currently taking solodyn 90 mg for the last 4 months.

My question is could this be folliculitis? Everything I've read says it's not often you develop acne for the very first time when your 31 years old. I've seen 4 different derms and all they do is keep throwing pills and topicals at me, and they barely even look at my skin. I'm at the end of my rope with this and don't know what to do. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you all in advance. Thanks, Tony

Yea, sounds like folliculitis. Bring this up to your derm, stop anti-biotics - they make it worse! Make sure you mention it's fungal, and don't accept no for an answer. At the very least have a culture taken. That's the only way to accurately diagnose. Any treatments meant for acne will make it worse. This won't go away on it's own either!

Good luck

Thanks for the response. How would you suggest treating this? I know nobody here is a doctor, but I'm getting nowhere with derms. I've seen 4 of them and I have mentioned folliculitis, but they just dismiss it and call it acne and proceed to just shell out all kinds of anti-biotics and topicals.

I don't feel going to every derm in the city until I find someone who will help, because they have all been useless so far. What over the counter pills are anti-fungal? What should I use on my face? I am going to start to ween off this solodyn because I hear you just don't want to stop cold turkey. You say that this won't just go away, so how exactly it it treated? Thank you again. Tony

Read this article.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Pityrospo...is--t88740.html

It has every treatment known on this board so far. There are no over the counter pills you can take either, and the truth is you'll be lucky to make it go away with topicals. I suggest you tell a derm it's "pityrosporum folliculitis" and that anti-biotics make it worse. Say you refuse to take any anti-biotics, and ask them to test for it.

Hope you find out for certain what it is, I know how frustrating this can be.