Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RatherBeSkating

Might have cured my folliculitis

O.K, so people familiar with the Pityrosporum Folliculitis thread at the top of this board will be aware that I have suffered from folliculitis for around 2 years. I've tried pretty much every topical in the book, and nothing has ever fully worked, just controlled it. Ketoconazole tablets also were ineffective, and very dangerous.

Now, over the past few weeks I made the following changes to my diet:

• Started drinking a lot of organic apple cyder vinegar
  • Started taking zinc supplements again
  • Started taking fish oil supplements
  • Cut down on sugar

At first I thought it was the ACV, but I have gone without it for a couple of days and continue to see improvement. I also don't think it's the cut down on sugar either, because up until now that hasn't made a massive impact (although I'm sure it has helped my overall health) The zinc could have helped, but I've taken it in the past and seen no reduction in follicultis. So, that leaves the fish oil.

For a couple of weeks I've been taking around 5 fish oil capsules a day, and since starting doing this, my folliculitis has been in a state of control like I've never seen before. For those who don't know, I have acquired folliculitis on my neck after a course of minocycline I was on when I first developed a few nodules (turns out cutting out dairy more or less cured my acne, so anti-biotics weren't even needed) :confused: After that, I treid lots of anti-acne creams and pills because that's what I thought it was, acne.

This is what folliculitis looks like, it can be more or less severe than this (Mine was several times more severe at one point)

http://www.skinatlas.com/pityrosporum.jpg

So anyway, right now one side of my neck is completely clear, I can't see any bumps when I look very closely, and it feels really smooth. The PF is no doubt still there, because it takes a couple of weeks of follow up treatment in most cases to ensure complete remission. The other side has a couple of red bumps there still, but other than those that are already inflamed (and will need to go down in their own time) my skin there is also clear.

I attribute this to my high intake of fish oil. I decided to up the dosage a couple of days ago. I took 5 fish oil (1000mg), and 5 zinc (15mg) pills in the morning, then 5 again at night. That was the turning point. Since then I have had no new bumps, and the existing ones disappeared very quickly. A nice side effect is that it seems to also have reduced my acne, although somehow I seem to much more oily on my face :confused:

I would advice someone to try this and get back to me. If fish oil is indeed the cure I've been looking for for so long, others should be able to benefit from it too. You'll find fish oil at pharmacies or in vitamin and supplements isles at supermarkets. I would try capsules instead of the drink, to be as accurate to what I am doing as possible.

So, anyone want to try 5 in the morning and 5 at night? You should notice after at most a week if it's working for you. If not, on to another trial and error :D

O.K, so people familiar with the Pityrosporum Folliculitis thread at the top of this board will be aware that I have suffered from folliculitis for around 2 years. I've tried pretty much every topical in the book, and nothing has ever fully worked, just controlled it. Ketoconazole tablets also were ineffective, and very dangerous.

Now, over the past few weeks I made the following changes to my diet:

• Started drinking a lot of organic apple cyder vinegar
  • Started taking zinc supplements again
  • Started taking fish oil supplements
  • Cut down on sugar

At first I thought it was the ACV, but I have gone without it for a couple of days and continue to see improvement. I also don't think it's the cut down on sugar either, because up until now that hasn't made a massive impact (although I'm sure it has helped my overall health) The zinc could have helped, but I've taken it in the past and seen no reduction in follicultis. So, that leaves the fish oil.

For a couple of weeks I've been taking around 5 fish oil capsules a day, and since starting doing this, my folliculitis has been in a state of control like I've never seen before. For those who don't know, I have acquired folliculitis on my neck after a course of minocycline I was on when I first developed a few nodules (turns out cutting out dairy more or less cured my acne, so anti-biotics weren't even needed) :confused: After that, I treid lots of anti-acne creams and pills because that's what I thought it was, acne.

This is what folliculitis looks like, it can be more or less severe than this (Mine was several times more severe at one point)

http://www.skinatlas.com/pityrosporum.jpg

So anyway, right now one side of my neck is completely clear, I can't see any bumps when I look very closely, and it feels really smooth. The PF is no doubt still there, because it takes a couple of weeks of follow up treatment in most cases to ensure complete remission. The other side has a couple of red bumps there still, but other than those that are already inflamed (and will need to go down in their own time) my skin there is also clear.

I attribute this to my high intake of fish oil. I decided to up the dosage a couple of days ago. I took 5 fish oil (1000mg), and 5 zinc (15mg) pills in the morning, then 5 again at night. That was the turning point. Since then I have had no new bumps, and the existing ones disappeared very quickly. A nice side effect is that it seems to also have reduced my acne, although somehow I seem to much more oily on my face :confused:

I would advice someone to try this and get back to me. If fish oil is indeed the cure I've been looking for for so long, others should be able to benefit from it too. You'll find fish oil at pharmacies or in vitamin and supplements isles at supermarkets. I would try capsules instead of the drink, to be as accurate to what I am doing as possible.

So, anyone want to try 5 in the morning and 5 at night? You should notice after at most a week if it's working for you. If not, on to another trial and error :D

It cost me £7 for a tub of 135 capsules.

O.K, time for an update.

I woke up this morning with another nice reduction in folliculitis. Now I can only see a couple of visible bumps!!!

However, I have several very small spots on my face, and I am pretty sure this is purging, because they have been there for ages, but they have always been under the skin and unoticable. It may be the fish oil works kind of like retinol, in that it speeds up the cell turnover. If this is true, I can expect an inital breakout of acne, followed by complete clearness.

I don't beleive you can get an initial breakout of folliculitis. Acne takes around 2 weeks to form, so what I am seeing on my face is basically 2 weeks worth of acne coming to the surface (luckily I've got it very well controlled now) whereas I beleive folliculitis forms straight away. This is just a theory, but it would explain why I experience a sort of inital outbreak of acne, with a sudden sharp decrease in folliculitis.

I have also still not taken any apple cyder vinegar. That may have helped, but I'm not fairly confident it wasn't the major factor in my clearing up.

I'll keep this updated on my progress. If you could aswell, allornothing, that would be great, nice to have two peoples views on this. If you start today, you could see results as early as tommorow :pray:

EDIT: I have been taking around 5 fish oil capsules per day for the past few weeks, there's a good chance you will experience more purging than me if you start with the full 10g, although this will probably get you resutls much quicker. That being said, there may have been an initial purge of folliculitis that I just put down to another outbreak. Either way, in the long run, I think it works.

O.K, time for an update.

I woke up this morning with another nice reduction in folliculitis. Now I can only see a couple of visible bumps!!!

However, I have several very small spots on my face, and I am pretty sure this is purging, because they have been there for ages, but they have always been under the skin and unoticable. It may be the fish oil works kind of like retinol, in that it speeds up the cell turnover. If this is true, I can expect an inital breakout of acne, followed by complete clearness.

I don't beleive you can get an initial breakout of folliculitis. Acne takes around 2 weeks to form, so what I am seeing on my face is basically 2 weeks worth of acne coming to the surface (luckily I've got it very well controlled now) whereas I beleive folliculitis forms straight away. This is just a theory, but it would explain why I experience a sort of inital outbreak of acne, with a sudden sharp decrease in folliculitis.

I have also still not taken any apple cyder vinegar. That may have helped, but I'm not fairly confident it wasn't the major factor in my clearing up.

I'll keep this updated on my progress. If you could aswell, allornothing, that would be great, nice to have two peoples views on this. If you start today, you could see results as early as tommorow :pray:

EDIT: I have been taking around 5 fish oil capsules per day for the past few weeks, there's a good chance you will experience more purging than me if you start with the full 10g, although this will probably get you resutls much quicker. That being said, there may have been an initial purge of folliculitis that I just put down to another outbreak. Either way, in the long run, I think it works.

O.K, time for an update.

God i'm so sick and tired with this folliculites!It's been ruining my legs for more than 8 years now, i really hope this is going to help!I'll start your regimen tonight and let you know if it has worked for me too.I sure hope it will work, cause i'm getting a major depression because of this darn folliculites.It makes me wish i had acne instead of it - at least there would be a cure to that.Ok, i'm starting a rant in here, i can't wait to tell you if it worked!Thanks for sharing!

My biggest issue at the moment with body acne/folliculitis is wheter or not to try accutane. Sometimes after a shower or after sweating I'm like WTF I have to get accutane this looks really bad. Other times when my skin is dry and I look in the mirror I'm like: "This doesn't need accutane"

I will however increase my intake of ACV(will by some organic tomorrow), zinc and fish oil. I don't think I will increase the intake to your level but probably more like 50 grams zinc, 3-6 tablespoons of fish oil and 3-6 tablespoons ACV.

when i had folliculitus i managed to greatly reduce it by cutting out sugar. the fungus feeds on the sugar and so can thrive so you need to starve it completely. also by eating lots of garlic, coconut, ginger and other foods with good anti-fungal properties.

the other way if you really cant get rid of it is accutane. my doctor told me a dermatologist would give me two or three weeks of 20mgs a day and that would pretty much get rid of it all together as it requires the sebum to thrive.

Basically, topicals don't work. End of. I've tried them all, nothing worked properly. I agree with eating anti-fungal foods, I'm a big fan of garlic, and cutting down on sugar.

I have a feeling taking as much fish oil as 10g has some of the effects of a retinol, as that would explain the purging I'm experiencing. Give it a try first before accutane.

Also, Vitamin A can be used as a substitute for accutane, since accutane is basically modified Vitamin A. Make sure it's not synthetic, make sure it's from natural sources like fish. I've ordered a supplement that contains 25,000IU of Vitamin A. You need to take around 125,000 IU a day to see results.

UPDATE: It seems to be getting better by the hour. Now it's looking even better than this morning. It seems to be going away quick! Which is a huge bonus, I was expecting a massive wait :D

Ah, I often wonder if I have folliculitis and not acne. That picture does somewhat look like what I have, but I have some larger bumps too, almost under-the-skin type ones that do NOT seem like folliculitis, unless I am mistaken. It makes me leery about going to the doctor because they will most likely diagnose it as acne, give me medication, and it will only get worse.

I have some omega 3-6-9 capsules (which I have not been taking, lol), will this have any/a similar effect..?

its likely if you have folliculitus you also have some true acne, as both occur and thrive on our skin due to the oiliness. you can't really treaat both that easily at the same time however, except with accutane

Ah, I often wonder if I have folliculitis and not acne. That picture does somewhat look like what I have, but I have some larger bumps too, almost under-the-skin type ones that do NOT seem like folliculitis, unless I am mistaken. It makes me leery about going to the doctor because they will most likely diagnose it as acne, give me medication, and it will only get worse.

I have some omega 3-6-9 capsules (which I have not been taking, lol), will this have any/a similar effect..?

I'm going to start taking the omega capsules and see what happens. It just sucks that you're supposed to take them with meals, it's inconvenient since I eat at work a lot!

UPDATE: Woke up this morning to a nice load of new acne spots that have surfaced. I'm expecting them to go down, and then not see any more for quite a while if I'm right about the fish oil :)

PF is severely reduced. The side that I said was clear actually had several small, uninflamed bumps, like goosebumps, still there. Now these are gone, the skin there seems to be totally repaired. One down one to go :D

The other side is almost the same. Just got 2 inflamed spots from last week that are going down rapidly, then I think I won't be seeing any more PF spots in quite a while!

I think I've found something here :D

O.K, so Day 3 of my high dosage regimen, and still seeing continuing improvement.

As far as my face is concerned, all the red marks I thought were scars have come to the surface and are dieing down now, soon I won't have any trace of acne at all :dance:

Now, for the PF. Still seeing an improvement. The side that I mentioned yesterday was now completely healed - I wouldn't be so sure. I've noticed this morning that in patches where the PF has covered for a long time, the skin is starting to go a lighter shade than it was, in patches. I suppose I haven't really noticed this, but since have such severe PF, the area where it affected seems to go a slightly yellowish colour all over the skin. I theorize that this is a thin layer of fungus :snooty:

Not very nice to think about, but it would explain why no matter how much I spot treated, it just spread easily. Well anyway, it seems this supposed "fungal layer" is being stripped away, so as soon as I can tell it is completely gone, that's when I think I will have won :D

My Vitamin A arrived this morning. Starting taking that at 150,000IU a day.

This is said to work just like accutane (since accutane is basically concentrated Vitamin A), hopefully it won't be too dongerous, and now I should really see some results. :dance:

This is said to work just like accutane (since accutane is basically concentrated Vitamin A), hopefully it won't be too dongerous, and now I should really see some results. :dance:

hey man,

few questions about the vitamin A, are you gonna get yourself blood tested regulary? does it work the same as in intial breakout, same side effects etc, same ammount of time for results?

its likely if you have folliculitus you also have some true acne, as both occur and thrive on our skin due to the oiliness. you can't really treaat both that easily at the same time however, except with accutane

The part about the oily skin and using accutane is not really true.... If you have folliculitus caused by staph Aures (gram positive bacteria) then accutane will actually make things worse....(speaking from experience)

The part about the oily skin and using accutane is not really true.... If you have folliculitus caused by staph Aures (gram positive bacteria) then accutane will actually make things worse....(speaking from experience)

Dude i was thinking about taking Vitamin A but isnt 150,000 UI a day a bit dangerous ?. Can't you die from Megadosing ?.

Wouldnt 15,000 UI be better.

Dude i was thinking about taking Vitamin A but isnt 150,000 UI a day a bit dangerous ?. Can't you die from Megadosing ?.

Wouldnt 15,000 UI be better.

15,000IU wouldn't do a thing. You need to take at least 150,000IU to see any results. I'm taking 300,000IU for the first few weeks, then lowering to 150,000IU for a few months.

I think 300,000IU would equal around 60-80mg accutane, but that's a pure guess.

15,000IU would be a waste of time.