Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Siava

Long hair...how I love thee...

I used to have fairly long hair, at least half way down my back. It was pretty, straight, thick, and dark blonde, but I decided to cut it and have never looked back! That was 5 years ago and I still have short hair now. I love it, for some reason I feel girlier or something with a cute short hair cut, and my boyfriend likes that he can see my neck/shoulders. :)

Isn't it funny how some people look good with long hair, and others with short?

3 drops of jojoba oil in my conditioner and a little bit of VO5's smoothing milk = no more flyaways! When I love my layers around my face, that's when I know I need to go in for a trim (a TRIM). This keeps away any split ends while still letting me keep my length and let it get longer. Keeps it healthy.

yeah Kaytee, i love my short hair now too! it's so much fun i love the tiny pony tail:) I cut it about a month ago and it's already getting long so i want to get it cut again but i'm broke:(

yeah Kaytee, i love my short hair now too! it's so much fun i love the tiny pony tail:) I cut it about a month ago and it's already getting long so i want to get it cut again but i'm broke:(

I hope nobody minds me pointing you to another forum, but I had to chime in. The folks over at forums.longhaircommunity.com can answer just about any hair question. They have recipes for home-made hair products and techniques for every kind of hair. My hair is currently knee-length, and it looks great thanks to all the advice the LHC community has given me. I'm not sure about specific ways to get past the "ugly" stage, but these are my top hair-growing tips:

1) If you want long hair, DO NOT CUT IT. I know a lot of people say you have to trim it regularly to make it grow, but it's not true. You have to trim it regularly to maintain a certain style, and trims will help keep the ends neat, but it will dramatically slow the growing-out process. If you trim off half an inch every six weeks, you will be losing almost 4.5" a year. I think most hair only grows 6"-8" a year. This means that if your "terminal length" is, say, 48", and your hair is currently 12" long, you could be increasing the time it will take you to grow it to it's longest possible length from six years (at 6" a year) to 18 years! Yes, you will have to cut some off eventually to neaten it up, but do it too often and you'll never reach your goal.

2) Treat your hair like tissue paper. Each of the hairs takes an interminably long time to grow out, and if you damage one, it will be years and years before you get it back to where it was. For me, this means combing instead of brushing (this is the hardest for me, as my hair is thick and tangles easily), never shampooing (there are other methods for cleaning your hair, the LHC can tell you about them), and keeping my hair up in a bun most of the time. Absolutely no blow-drying, chemical coloring, or perming.

3) Oil it! My hair loves oil (not everyone's does). It keeps it strong and managable, doesn't damage it, and looks great. Play with different kinds. My favorite is grapeseed, but coconut oil and olive oil are great for a pre-shower deep conditioning.

Most importantly, enjoy your hair. Enjoy the stage it's at now! If you're serious about growing it out, you may never have the chance to play with it at this length again! Put cute clips in it, put it up in interesting ways. I love being able to do cool braids and updos, but sometimes I really miss the shorter 'dos that were so fun.

Wow, when I started typing I didn't think this would be so long. Sorry if I got carried away! I hope you reach all of you hair goals!

Jenn

P.S. If you do head over to the LHC, this link will be a huge help: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjour...mp;articleid=10

Otherwise, you'll be wondering what BSL and CO and cones means. :P

I used to have long hair, past my waist. I didn't like it - it was far too heavy (my hair had no volume, it was just flat), was a nightmare to look after and didn't do me any favours. I had my hair cut to shoulder length last August and loved how it looked. As it was, my hair was so oily that I couldn't leave it down and it just ended up scraped back into a pony. Since then I've kinda given up on my hair and left it to it. What I would give to have hair that wasn't oily...

Monism, this is right up your alley. I want every long hair owner's opinion. What are some things to do to get through the ugly stages? Currently, I'm midway between shoulder and bra strap length. I've goth fly aways at my temples. It. Drives. Me. CRAZY! I want to grow it as long as I possibly can (terminal length) and I'm so very patient. I know I can make it, but I need some knowledge on what to do until then. I bought some hot oil treatment to use, but how often do I use it? How often should I trim? It's been a good 3 months since my last trim. I don't have split ends, but do I need one even though I don't have any? Ugh. I've got tons of questions it seems. Please help. Thankoo!

Really long hair isnt in style these days. Its easier to style and dry hair that is to the shoulders or shorter too

That's kind of rude and uncalled for :confused: lol. Anyway, I'm in the same boat...I always have baby hairs surrounding my head but this is the second time I'm growing out my hair and it's in much better shape than the first. I think trimming is crucial to healthy, strong hair even if you don't have split ends. The longer hair gets the more worn out the ends get because that's the oldest part and it, obviously, goes through more stress so regular trims (4-10 weeks depending on rate of growth) helps lots! Also, I use conditioner religiously now and my hair, despite it being course and wavy, looks soooo shiny and and feels silky when I straighten it, x_x which was definitely not the case last time. I use Back to Basics Rich Moisture and some Biolage leave-in conditioner. It's spendy but totally worth it, imo.

I wish I had your patience lol I get so bored with my hair, was close to chopping it all off! :| I convinced myself to go wit a color change instead...and I keep playing with it to find new ways of wearing it. Welp, hope I helped in someway

Lol I have baby hairs too around my face, I don't like it much and benzoyl peroxide tends to bleach those hairs from my natural black to blonde hahah.

...I don't have much advice about long hair as I also am trying to grow my hair too.. All I know is don't cut your hair anymore until you get to the length you want it to be, don't use oils in it because oily hair that gets on your face may cause break outs and just eat healthy :)