Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shorti3

PERIORAL DERMATITIS or maybe even Seborrheic dermatitis

Glad to hear from You! Hope you are doing well, I haven't hear from Justplainsickofit so I hope I get a status too!

hey guys, sorry i haven't posted in a while... how have you guys been doing??? ... things on my side are better...my allergic reaction is Finally gone... i don't know what i reacted to... my POD is better but i still have a little bit of redness around my mouth... i still am trying to get rid of it because i'm worried that it might flare up... i think what caused it for me was that i used steroid creams on my face before...

so i got a prescription for the metrogel... it's kind of expensive... how much did it cost you dawn? i'm also thinking of trying either Doxycycline, Minocycline or Erythromycin... probably erythromycin since you said it helped you... I have an insurance plan so I think my metrogel cost about $15. I also recc the erythromycin as that is what worked for me, that is pretty cheap.

so dawn, how long did you deal with this for? what are all the products/pills that you tried for it? and another question about the metrogel... when you started using it, how long did it take for you to start seeing results??? With the antibiotic and metrogel, it started to look better in about 5 days, but not clear, it was about a good month before I looked okay. The redness was there and is stil a bit there on my chin. Everytime I see a little bump, I apply a bit to the area, because I am scared to death to get it back again. I know what to look for and how they don't "pop" or get better like normal acne

justplainsickofit what else have you tried besides the doxy during the 14 months?

when you guys have time maybe you want to look at these sites...

this site has some cases and what they used to treat it:

http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/result.cfm?Diagnosis=93

this one is just pics of what it looks like:

http://www.dermnet.com/thumbnailIndex.cfm?...0&numcols=0

i've also been on vitamin B pills... they are suppose to be good for your skin... especially vitamins b2 and b3 which are suppose to help prevent dermatitis... vitamin b deficiency can also cause anemia, and some cases of POD have been linked to anemia... maybe you guys want to give them a shot... i started taking them a few weeks ago... i don't know if it was that, but a few days after i started taking them, that's when my skin started to get better... Good to know about the b and the iron. I have been iron deficient before. ~hope you guys are good, keep me posted~

Hey Dawn & shorti,

Just wanted to let you know I am still alive haha. Anyway, finally managed to get to see my GP yesterday and now am on a course of E-Mycin and Rozex.

It's funny because he suggested Rozex gel, saying that it might help. And I was like "could you let me try metronidazole gel instead"? And he replied "that's what Rozex is...it's the brand name", and now I am kind of happy that we are on the same page. But its quite expensive. The chemist mumbled a price and I was like "sorry? did I hear you correctly?" But money is the least of my problem now!

He was also reluctant to let me go on E-mycin because the doxycycline didn't do a hell of a lot, but I just said that I'd want to try it.

I really really really really really really hope this works. REALLY! Just took my first pill 15 hours ago. My pills are 400mg dosage so it should do something!

@ shorti, I suggest that you jump onto E-mycin because doxy did not really work for me. I don't know a lot about antibiotics, but I do know E-mycin and doxy are completely different groups, so effects may be different. Most research that I have done have suggested that E-mycin should be used for POD. And about what I tried during that 14 months, I did try a few things but none that I would recommend. I want to let you know to stay off any steroid creams, and I am certain that BP has not affect on this whatsoever.

@ dawn, what concentration is your Metrogel? My Rozex is 0.75% metronidazole, and it says it is used for Rosacea. Oh and the other thing is, you didn't fully answer my Q last time regarding NuCelle. Did you buy a FULL system kit or just the MA Serum ALONE? Because I am thinking about getting it for my pores.

Anyway, happy to know you guys are still checking in here. I'll try to post weekly to let you know about my progress and hopefully have this thing finally BEAT!

Hey Dawn & shorti,

Just wanted to let you know I am still alive haha. Anyway, finally managed to get to see my GP yesterday and now am on a course of E-Mycin and Rozex.

It's funny because he suggested Rozex gel, saying that it might help. And I was like "could you let me try metronidazole gel instead"? And he replied "that's what Rozex is...it's the brand name", and now I am kind of happy that we are on the same page. But its quite expensive. The chemist mumbled a price and I was like "sorry? did I hear you correctly?" But money is the least of my problem now!

He was also reluctant to let me go on E-mycin because the doxycycline didn't do a hell of a lot, but I just said that I'd want to try it.

I really really really really really really hope this works. REALLY! Just took my first pill 15 hours ago. My pills are 400mg dosage so it should do something!

@ shorti, I suggest that you jump onto E-mycin because doxy did not really work for me. I don't know a lot about antibiotics, but I do know E-mycin and doxy are completely different groups, so effects may be different. Most research that I have done have suggested that E-mycin should be used for POD. And about what I tried during that 14 months, I did try a few things but none that I would recommend. I want to let you know to stay off any steroid creams, and I am certain that BP has not affect on this whatsoever.

@ dawn, what concentration is your Metrogel? My Rozex is 0.75% metronidazole, and it says it is used for Rosacea. Oh and the other thing is, you didn't fully answer my Q last time regarding NuCelle. Did you buy a FULL system kit or just the MA Serum ALONE? Because I am thinking about getting it for my pores.

Anyway, happy to know you guys are still checking in here. I'll try to post weekly to let you know about my progress and hopefully have this thing finally BEAT!

Hi,

Sorry, I am on vacation for the past week. Glad to see you got to the dr. My Metrogel is 1% - not too far off from what you are doing. He told me to do twice a day. My Emycin was 500mg - twice a day I believe, so you are fine with that too. I didn't start to see any improvement until a little over a week to 2 weeks. The E-mycin was prescribed for at least a month, due to how tough it is for the POD to get under control. Do not stop taking it even if you start to get better.

I am only using Nucelle 10%, not the whole line. I use 15% too, when I really need some help, but good to start with 10% and see what happens. I didn't start using it until about a month being on the metrogel, I think.

Good luck - be patient, that is the best advice I can give you. It may still be red for a bit, so don't get discouraged. Keep us posted.

hey guys... it's been a while just came online to see how everyone is doing... things on my side are finally better... the pd is gone and i didn't bother taking any pills or buying the metrogel... i've just been taking the vitamin b pills the 100g.

justplainsickofit, i hope things improve for you and even though right now you're probably stressing about it, trust me i know how you're feeling, you ARE going to get better. i had to deal with my PD for like 3 months and it kinda made my summer suck... i think what caused it was the steroid creams... anyways, keep me posted. take care guys

Hey shorti3,

So glad to hear that you got better, and thanks for the word of encouragement.

I used to take Vit B for stress/fatigue, but stopped because my hair was falling which is weird.

Btw, what did you use the steroid creams for?

Hi,

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads and responds to this. In August 2008 i had three little bumps by my mouth. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH ACNE OR ANYTHING. i get facials and have always had really nice skin. i went to the doctor and he gave me a cortisone type of cream, 2 weeks later it looked worse. Then the doctor gave me an antifungal cream...again...it started spreading now covering the lower portion of my chin on the right side...grrrr. i go back and he says i dont know what it is let me send you to a derm. i go to the derm and get a higher powerd cort. cream. still not getting better. derm does punch biopsy and results come back that it isnt fungal lupus cancer tb and a whole list of other things that it ISNT. so i get an even higher powerd cort. cream and now the rash spreads to the other side of my face. i go back and the derm give me Elidel. holy moly....now the rash is all over my mouth area both sides of my nose, and all over my chin!! it looks awful and itches and burns even worse! derm says try an even higher powerd cort. cream and clindamycin. still now improvement. i go back to my reg doctor ( couldnt get in with my derm) because i cant even sleep at night it itches and burns so bad...the reg doc put me on an antiobiotic and gave me some kind of pill for itching. here is what i want to know.....and my situation.

i have severe anemia (iron level 4) and low zinc and essential fatty acids levels. i am now taking rx of zinc and alot of vitamins due to malabsorption issues i have. does anyone know how long it takes antibiotics to clear up this perioral derm? is it permanent?

thanks for any advice....my itchy burning face is driving me nuts!!!!

the worse thing to give is cortisone cream - it makes it worse - don't put it on your face unless you can help it ever again.

POD is forever, but you can keep it from flaring up. It is seasonal and you need to find things that trigger it for you like stress, weather, topicals, toothpaste, etc. Metrogel worked best for me and a long dose of Eythromycin - 500 mg twice a day. I have a refill for whenever it starts to act up.

It took a month for me to clear up - but if you don't see some results in a few weeks - go back to the dr. Read up on pod - tell your derm to do the same - or else he wouldn't have prescribed what he did.

Hello all. First of all, thank you all for your posts. Because of you all, I figured I had PD and went to see my derm this morning. I had been thinking it was just adult acne and had been doing the regimen which seemed to make it worse.

I've just been given doxycycline 100mg once a day until it's cleared and have been told to then reduce the usage to every other day and less because, if I stop too soon, the PD could recur. I've also been given a mixture of Clindamycin and metroazinole (I'm sure I spelled that wrong).

Have you seen any improvements iluvpoodles?

Hello all. First of all, thank you all for your posts. Because of you all, I figured I had PD and went to see my derm this morning. I had been thinking it was just adult acne and had been doing the regimen which seemed to make it worse.

I've just been given doxycycline 100mg once a day until it's cleared and have been told to then reduce the usage to every other day and less because, if I stop too soon, the PD could recur. I've also been given a mixture of Clindamycin and metroazinole (I'm sure I spelled that wrong).

Hi

my skin is getting all crusty and dry and not itching and burning anymore so that is good but it is still really red and not bumpy but almost pruney looking if that makes sense. i am calling right now to see if my doc can call in some metro gel and maybe a higher dose antibiotic. i am kinda giving up on the derm...all he did was make it 100 times worse. keep in mind i am at a military hospital so dont take my experience with a derm as normal.

You poor thing. I had the pruney look last week. Now, I just have a bunch of bumps, slightly darkened skin and spots that look like healing acne. Very pretty. My derm told me to go back to him if I don't see results within 4 weeks.

Hi

my skin is getting all crusty and dry and not itching and burning anymore so that is good but it is still really red and not bumpy but almost pruney looking if that makes sense. i am calling right now to see if my doc can call in some metro gel and maybe a higher dose antibiotic. i am kinda giving up on the derm...all he did was make it 100 times worse. keep in mind i am at a military hospital so dont take my experience with a derm as normal.

I had the crusty and dry stuff too when I had it - it is awful, if you find the right meds to work for you, it will start to get better in about 5 days, but it will be at least a month before you feel like normal again. Like crazypantsm said, you have to stay on an antibiotic for a while or it will flair up again. Good luck, I am sure you are frustrated and finding someone who can help you is very hard.

i got the metrogel and hopefully it will work. does anyone have any suggestions for concealing the irritation? i am a makeup junkie and have been forced to not wear make up for over a month now. do you have to wait until you are completly healed to wear makeup? do any of you have a suggestions for a good brand? i currently wear Laura Mercier and sometimes Bobbi Brown.

I am reading alot on here about the Estee Lauder Double Wear - I haven't purchased yet as I am using what I have which is Bare Escentuals over Lancome L'teinte Idole - which is long wearing. You may want to try a primer over it - but I always had to touch up - as I was so self conscious about it.

I never totally stopped wearing makeup - I only wore it when I was in public, when I was home, I would wash it off and put on another coat of metrogel.

Keep away for all toothpaste and stuff that has sls in it.

good luck.

I have a question - how long did it take for you to get rid of your pd?

I've been on minocycline for 11 days now. The first couple of days went really well, aside from the side effects which are now gone. My skin was really clearing up. Today, it looks like crap again. I have 4 small bumps on one side and 1 bump on the other plus all the red marks in between. It feels like I'm going to be on antibiotics forever. Not happy.

It takes 30-60 days sometimes to go but you should start to see an improvement by the end of 2 weeks I bet - if it keeps on coming up, in the next week, you may need to call your dr and ask for a diff antibiotic maybe, are you using metrogel for a topical? I used erythromycin 500 mg 2x a day - tough on the stomach, but it really worked.

Thanks, Dawn. I'm on 100mg of minocycline (which I think is the max dose) once a day only. And, they're kicking my ass. Plus, dabbing on my 2% clindamycin/1% hydrocortisone/alcohol solution twice a day as directed. Damn this stuff is persistent.

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter77.asp, http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_dise..._dermatiti.html

Good links about it - cortisone is ok it seems from one dr but not the other... - I like the metrogel it really helps me more than anything.

Hang on - it will improve and after it clears, the minute you start to see those bumps, start treating them right away! Weather, stress and certain products will trigger it for me.

Just wanted to update that, as of yesterday, I'm all cleared up. All clear, that is, except for the multitude of red marks now left behind. I'm applying Vitamin E by picking a capsule in an attempt to get the marks to fade faster. Will report how that works...

Just wanted to update that, as of yesterday, I'm all cleared up. All clear, that is, except for the multitude of red marks now left behind. I'm applying Vitamin E by picking a capsule in an attempt to get the marks to fade faster. Will report how that works...

Good for you - that is great. Patience on the clearing of the multitude of redness. It will improve every day. Be gentle and give it time! Don't stop taking your mino either. This weather does not help!

1. were you stressed before you got it?

VERY STRESSFUL

2. did you use any steroid creams or corticosteroid creams before you got this?

YES 2-3 DIFFERENT KINDS

3. do you have low iron? or did you at any point?

HM WHEN I TAKE VITAMINS WITH EXTRA IRON I THROW IT UP? AM I ALERGIC?

4. did you apply toothpaste to your pimples at any point before you got this?

YES HAVE DONE IT BEFORE

5. is your scalp itchy? itchy dry eyes? itchy ears and nose?

NO

6. how long have you had it for?

7. what is your diet like? do you eat a lot of dairy? meat? etc?

YES LOTS OF FAT FOODS

8. what moisturizing cream and/or soap do you use for your face?

I WAS USING A BAR OF SOAP. NO GOOD CLEANERS BEFORE THIS..

i have been to the dermatologist.

DENOSIDE did not help. hydrocortozon did not work. it helps the dryness but not the bumps.

i have been using nizoral shampoo and washing face with soap free cleaners. not working

i have not been on any antibiotic pill tho.

does toothpaste play a big role in getting rid of the bumps around mouth?

i read anti-fungal like tea tree oil, cocoanut oil are all good. i have tryed them all. they all seem to help but not 100% take it away.

also i have used baking soda to brush my teeth to kill germs. and change pillow case a lot.

i also read if i have been using lotions and moisterizer for my face. to completely stop using it. while taking anti-biotics. today is my first day trying it. and my chin and lip area nose area was so dry. it was cracked and flakey. look like a lot of irritation.

so i use a light water based "metrogel 1%" which when i 1st applied it didnt work. the second time i applied it it worked a little. the dryness flakeyness still shows.

will mandelic acid help?

shorti;s went away with vitamin b pills?! k getting vitamin bs

wait will me hair fall out?

SO Dwhaa knows what this POD is all about

POD IS forever?! what a stressful thing to read.

ok stres, weather, topicals, toothpastte? what kind should i use? what is eythromycin? i will buy it if it will help control pod.

which is the best anti biotic to take to get ride of it. tetracyclin, doxy, minocyclin,? or erythromycin?

alright i am convinced i have POD

is this caused by fungus ? yeast on the face?

or just the steriods i have used before. after going to 3-4 dermatologist they did not diagnose me for pod ;[ i just got tired of "living with the fact i have bumps on my face" i started doing research and found out for myself i will have it for life. well thanks yall for ur time

nite

post-93888-1232695542_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232695553_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232695565_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232695542_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232695553_thumb.jpg

post-93888-1232695565_thumb.jpg

I WAS USING A BAR OF

so i use a light water based "metrogel 1%" which when i 1st applied it didnt work. the second time i applied it it worked a little. the dryness flakeyness still shows.

- how long did you use it for? it has to be used continuously 2x a day for 1 month at least.

will mandelic acid help? - it willafter you get better with using what has been discussed - at least it has helped me in some way.

SO Dwhaa knows what this POD is all about

POD IS forever?! what a stressful thing to read. -

No I don't know everything, just my experience and hope to help others that deal with it if that is what you have. It does come back - but it is seasonal and you need to watch during times that you have had it in the past (fall/winter for me)

ok stres, weather, topicals, toothpastte? what kind should i use? what is eythromycin? i will buy it if it will help control pod.

emycin worked for me - but others help - it is an antibiotic that you have to have presribed.

which is the best anti biotic to take to get ride of it. tetracyclin, doxy, minocyclin,? or erythromycin?

alright i am convinced i have POD

is this caused by fungus ? yeast on the face? - no it isn't

or just the steriods i have used before. after going to 3-4 dermatologist they did not diagnose me for pod ;[ i just got tired of "living with the fact i have bumps on my face" i started doing research and found out for myself i will have it for life. well thanks yall for ur time

nite

Well - 10 days later and absolutely no improvement with the red marks. I'm going to the derm this morning and asking for metrogel. We'll see what happens. Does it help with the redness? And, how long for you all to get rid of the redness?